Why are we still over seas ?

Comebackkid

What I made deployed is about equal to what a manager at McDonalds makes, we sure as fuck do NOT do it for the money.

11B is Army infantry, right? How are you making what a McD's MGR does if you're in combat? Average military salary for an E1 in 2009 was ~$35K and average manager at McDonalds makes ~$35K. if you look salary to salary with no incentive pay, bonuses, or combat pay. Let alone BHA.

I'm not in the military myself so I'm not doubting you, just wondering. If you're truly making less than that somethings wrong. Well, something IS wrong with our economy/government, but that's another story.

What I made deployed is about equal to what a manager at McDonalds makes, we sure as fuck do NOT do it for the money.

Amen.

There's still people that need killing in the world, should I go further? We're finishing what we started, and not to mention, keeping a good 80% of wanna-be terrorists from blowing up the US of A by giving them a potential target that shoots back. Those that said it's about oil, you REALLY need to educate yourself.

11B is Army infantry, right? How are you making what a McD's MGR does if you're in combat? Average military salary for an E1 in 2009 was ~$35K and average manager at McDonalds makes ~$35K. if you look salary to salary with no incentive pay, bonuses, or combat pay. Let alone BHA.

I'm not in the military myself so I'm not doubting you, just wondering. If you're truly making less than that somethings wrong. Well, something IS wrong with our economy/government, but that's another story.

You're talking about BAH, not BHA. A single E1 on active duty is probably not going to be entitled BAH. With that said, $225 = Hostile Fire Pay $50 = Hardship Pay, throw in food allowance that's usually under $200. So tax free in a combat zone as an E1, you might clear $31K if you're lucky. You've got some extras in there like jump pay (Airborne) and demo pay, but that's nickle and dimes for the most part.

You're talking about BAH, not BHA. A single E1 on active duty is probably not going to be entitled BAH. With that said, $225 = Hostile Fire Pay $50 = Hardship Pay, throw in food allowance that's usually under $200. So tax free in a combat zone as an E1, you might clear $31K if you're lucky. You've got some extras in there like jump pay (Airborne) and demo pay, but that's nickle and dimes for the most part.

Couldn't have said it better I was an E-3 my first deployment and I MAYBE cleared $30k, granted now I am E-5 so things will differ a bit.

Couldn't have said it better I was an E-3 my first deployment and I MAYBE cleared $30k, granted now I am E-5 so things will differ a bit.

I was an E-4 / E-5 on my last deployment, and thought I was doing pretty well. I didn't see my junior Marines complaining either. Especially when they got back to the states and bought $40,000+ cars. The pay may not be millions over there, but it certainly isn't anything to scoff at.

I was an E-4 / E-5 on my last deployment, and thought I was doing pretty well. I didn't see my junior Marines complaining either. Especially when they got back to the states and bought $40,000+ cars. The pay may not be millions over there, but it certainly isn't anything to scoff at.

. also your making 30k in 6 or 7 months [at least for Marines] thats a little different then 12 months for the mcdonalds manager. Im not trying to disagree with you Dover but I paid off alot of debts when i was over there and having a contract marriage helped as well.

. also your making 30k in 6 or 7 months [at least for Marines] thats a little different then 12 months for the mcdonalds manager. Im not trying to disagree with you Dover but I paid off alot of debts when i was over there and having a contract marriage helped as well.

Plus, making $30k tax free is a lot different than having your $30k paycheck taxed.

Still, I'm very appreciative of what they do, and that still is not being overpaid. Don't they still get retirement benefits/pension's too?

To the guy that started this thread, go read a book, newspaper, web site, whatever. Just do something that informs yourself about what goes on in the world, instead of working 16 hour days and beating off all night.

Plus, making $30k tax free is a lot different than having your $30k paycheck taxed.

Still, I'm very appreciative of what they do, and that still is not being overpaid. Don't they still get retirement benefits/pension's too?

To the guy that started this thread, go read a book, newspaper, web site, whatever. Just do something that informs yourself about what goes on in the world, instead of working 16 hour days and beating off all night.

Tax free is pretty nice, I must admit. There is retirement after 20+ years of service. Military retirement isn't bad when you boil it down, but 20 years can be a long 20 years. There's also Veteran benefits, along with the usual college G.I Bill which has had some good changes in the past few years. As far as the retirement is concerned, the retiree is covered under TriCare insurance (About the best out there) and also recieve a large portion of their salary (Which translates to what rank you retired at, depends upon the amount) There is a difference in Active Duty Military vs. Reserve/National Guard, but it all is based at the 20 year mark for being entitled to a retirement.

The best training for combat, is combat itself.

But we aren't engaging in any combat. We are engaging in peacekeeping operations against people who threaten our way of life. Which is to say that we are fighting an idea.

We are fighting a war on terror, not a war against terrorists. Big difference. Also the main reason we will never win this absurd war.

Half the news is as one-sided as it gets. Form your own opinion -- it will be as good as the guy's opinion on the newscasters teleprompter.

The news is good for getting a basic understanding of what is going on over there, who is fighting who and where, etc. From there you have to start thinking for yourself though, because most opinion shows (Glenn Beck is the first one that came to mind) are 100 percent worthless shit.

And remember, news companies are still a business, which means their primary goal is to please shareholders. Second is selling advertising, and third is reporting "news".

The news is good for getting a basic understanding of what is going on over there, who is fighting who and where, etc. From there you have to start thinking for yourself though, because most opinion shows (Glenn Beck is the first one that came to mind) are 100 percent worthless shit.

And remember, news companies are still a business, which means their primary goal is to please shareholders. Second is selling advertising, and third is reporting "news".

First is selling advertising, which makes money, which pleases shareholders. ;)

First is selling advertising, which makes money, which pleases shareholders. ;)

You got me. Even I don't always double check what I type. What kills me is how many people just don't understand how/why the news has biases. "Oh, but they would NEVER let advertisers dictate what they report!" :rolleyes:

But we aren't engaging in any combat. We are engaging in peacekeeping operations against people who threaten our way of life. Which is to say that we are fighting an idea.

We are fighting a war on terror, not a war against terrorists. Big difference. Also the main reason we will never win this absurd war.

IEDs coupled with complex ambushes sure seems like combat to me. Peace keeping is what cops do. Our military is actively seeking out terrorists and killing them, not writing tickets for misconduct.

I'll bring you over here to Paktika Province to spend a week in a combat outpost if you don't believe WE are engaged in combat. And by we, that doesn't include you, so you can say the US Military, since that isn't you. It's like saying, "We beat Michigan again this year." No the Buckeyes beat Michigan.

And as Bobby Lee mentioned, it is a COIN operation going on inside of Afghanistan and the remaining bits and pieces of Iraq. COIN or Counter Insurgency, is a method of operation and a way of conducting business in certain parts. This boils down to what Gen.McChrystal and now Gen. Petraeus are fighting for, which is the "Hearts and Minds" campaign. You win their hearts, and the minds will follow sort of thing. Terrorism is more than just an idea, but in the same token it's mostly radical Islam that needs to be put in the same boat.

Haven't seen any "peacekeeping" going on here in Afghanistan. Maybe you have the United States Military confused with the United Nations.