Youth Shotgun

Akula

I am taking my son grouse hunting at my Dad's place in MN this fall. I am wondering where I can find a youth shotgun. I went into the Gun World in Hilliard, but that guy is a douche and doesn't seem to want money.

Vance's usually has a decent selection of used stuff. I saw a couple of youth model shotguns in there last year when we bought a shotgun for the wife. They also usually have plenty of new stuff in stock too. I know they had the NEF Pardner series in youth and I think a couple pump models in other brands.

Edit: Looks like they have the 870 Youth 20 ga. on sale for $269. Not too bad.

http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/flyer/flyer.pdf

.410 is probably a better choice than 20ga for a starter, especially if the child is on the young side. If you do go 20ga, don't give him anything but 2 3/4in shotshells to learn with. Slugs and 3" shot will kick noticeably harder, especially with the lighter weight of a youth gun.

There are quite a few .410/.22LR interchangeable combos, those are a good choice and not much more expensive than a dedicated unit.

Vance's usually has a decent selection of used stuff. I saw a couple of youth model shotguns in there last year when we bought a shotgun for the wife. They also usually have plenty of new stuff in stock too. I know they had the NEF Pardner series in youth and I think a couple pump models in other brands.

Edit: Looks like they have the 870 Youth 20 ga. on sale for $269. Not too bad.

http://www.vanceoutdoors.com/flyer/flyer.pdf

This. It was my first gun. I still have it. Started shooting it when I was about 7 years old.

My boy is 10, hes pretty big for his age but he cries about 20ga kick. I was thinking 410, grouse don't really need much more than that.

Ballet classes? Lol. Hes only going to get bigger. get him the 20 and tell him to man up. Haha. grandpa gave me a single shot 12ga when i was 12...kicked like a fuckin mule but i got used to it. Not to mention, when out in the field, my guns always feel lik 1/2 the kick they do if im shooting off my grandparents porch and expecting it

We got a good deal on a Mossberg 500C 20g at vances $250 new if i recall. It was a youth sided one and works well. It is our home defense gun always loaded and ready. I always take it to the range and unload at least a box. It never jams.