BAD GAS!!!

zeitgeist57

I should've known... :(

So after 8+ months of not running, I FINALLY got the 'Vette put together with a good Optispark. The problem is now I have 18+ gallons of bad gas. The battery is a piece of crap too. I've had it jumped to my minivan for the last 20 minutes and it sputters but won't fire up. Plus, the whole area in my driveway smells like varnish/paint thinner...

Is there anything I can add to the tank to "revive" old gas? Do I have to siphon out the crap and start with some fresh stuff? Any help would be appreciated...

Damn man, you can't win for nothing. I'm not sure how you're going to siphon it out though. This probably isn't a good idea, but what about disconnecting the fuel line from the rail and letting the pump run and pumping the tank empty. Sounds like you need a new battery too.

I would advise against this due to the pump getting hot. The pump will no see much resistance so it will be pumping full speed for 18+ gallons and the longer it runs the lower the fuel will get (obviously). This presents the problem of the hotter the pump gets the less fuel around it to cool it off.

Anybody reading this have some sort of siphon pump or transfer pump I can borrow?

Better yet, you can have all the gas in my tank if you siphon it out yourself. Hell, you can siphon the 18gal of good super unleaded in my Passat to boot if it will make things more equitable :lol:

FYI, I called UA Fire Department about where I can dispose of bad gas, and they directed me to SWACO. The girl there told me about their Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center. They take bad gas and other chemicals for free! Thought this would be helpful information for everyone:

SWACO Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center

1249 Essex Avenue

Columbus, OH 43201

614-871-5100

W - 12p to 6p

Th - 9a to 5p

Fr - 12p to 6p

Still looking for a better pump than the $5 bulb siphon pump if anyone has something :(

#1 - Drain the gas. If the Vette is like an F-body, you can just unhook the return line and it will drain out under the car.

#2 - Have several gas cans. Mix a little bit in with good gas in a DD to get rid of it (assuming there isn't any water/contaminents in the gas)

#3 - CHANGE YOUR OIL. If you have been cranking and cranking with no spark for a while, you probably have washed down your cylinder walls, and have a oil pan full of gas. DO NOT start your car until you change your oil.

#4 - Go get a new battery, and start it with that.

#3 is by far the most important.