Car for 16 year old - recommendations

caseyctsv

I am in the market for a car for my daughter who turns sixteen in December. The specs:

- safe

- reliable

- cheap (< $3,000)

- ABS

- FWD

- economical

It does not have to be pretty but also don't want a rust bucket. My ideas so far:

- Grand Am - found a couple of 2001-2003 with ~ 100K miles or so in the range - I could work on it as I am familiar with the 2.8 / 3.1 / 3.4 V6

- Ford Taurus - 2001-2002 seem to be available

Any issues I should know about on these 2?

Anything imported (maybe Corolla / Civic though Civics are hard to find in that price range it appears)? My research says no to VW but other opinions?

What other options? Are there cars you have seen that I should look into?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it would be hard to find something decent and japanese in your price range...poor hondas are always riced out :( and have a million miles on them....you can try looking for them outside of columbus, they seem to be cheaper elsewhere when i was last looking for a cheap honda civic

i'd stay away from vw's in your price range...they might need a lot of work and i assume the parts would be expensive

its hard to find a really nice reliable car for 3k now.

Why not spend a little more and make payments? The car will be safer, most likely get better gas mileage and have a lower insurance rate.

this

http://www2.diamondlot.com/dls/inventory/standard/detailxsl.aspx?id=1573106&lang=en

or this (lower miles, less options)

http://www2.diamondlot.com/dls/inventory/standard/detailxsl.aspx?id=1578731&lang=en

this is almost exactly what you described

http://www2.diamondlot.com/dls/inventory/standard/detailxsl.aspx?id=1538028&lang=en

and i have a camry too.

Not saying your price range is unrealistic. But....that price range of cars is getting harder and harder to find.

The first car that pops into my mind is Cavalier. You can get those in the 3k price range ALL DAY. Plus the parts are easy to find.

I say Jeep Wrangler.

pros: Slow as balls, not completely lame, good opportunity to learn how to drive something RWD in the rain.

cons: might flip over. its a jeep so it might break. not super great gas mileage.

Grand Am fits.

Olds Alero

200% no way. They are horrible in accident situations. We owned one and made that bad decision taking the unknowing risk upon their introduction. There's no way I would put a loved one in those cars. Same with the Cavalier. One of the worst cars on the road if you ask me. I know two families that lost loved ones in Cavaliers.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84013

I don't know how you could beat this deal. And it's $1500 under your budget, so there's a "repair fund" already banked if you need it. If you don't, it can go towards college.

+1

Big, Safe, Easy on gas.

PS:

Casey, I can't be believe you are that old already.. :eek:

All I'm going to say is this, in the sub 3K price range you WILL NOT find something that does not need work. Now that we have that out of the way, let's look at prices to repair cars...stay away from European cars....the worst ones in your price range PERIOD. The Japanese cars will be crusty around the edges, be ready for their 2nd timing belts, leaking or burning oil and in general will need work, but parts are readily available and reasonably priced.

American cars in your range will be likewise condition as the Japanese cars with less mileage, the GM cars will probably need engine performance maintenance, if you go V6 expect coolant issues, if you go 2.4 route expect timing chain issues since people with these cars do not maintain them in this range.

As far as safety, well look at what people drove back in the day. My first 2 cars did NOT have airbags '89 Ranger and '87 Fiero GT. If it has airbags...good. I was fully aware that they did not have airbags in them and to be honest, and I also appreciated that it was my parents car and not mine. So at any second the car could be taken from me.

200% no way. They are horrible in accident situations. We owned one and made that bad decision taking the unknowing risk upon their introduction. There's no way I would put a loved one in those cars. Same with the Cavalier. One of the worst cars on the road if you ask me. I know two families that lost loved ones in Cavaliers.

the gf has a cavalier that her father pushed her into, its an 02 or 04 I forget, either way its the last body style before it turned into the cobalt. It grenaded the motor around 50-60,000 miles due to the timing chain going out, turns out that's a common problem and its of course an interference engine. Now its upper 70,000 range and the dash gauges don't work at all, again common problem, the rear brakes are making noise, its had a couple alternators, randomly won't crank, randomly dies on her and won't start back up until its sat for a while, randomly just cranks and won't fire, etc. As soon as we're in a better financial situation that thing is gone and neither of us will be in another GM any time soon.

Dear God no. Not in that price range, those were abortions back in the day. Would not touch unless it was like 2K3 and up.

i have a 02 rio to drive to/from work. bought it with 44k miles 2 years ago for like $3400. the only thing ive had to do to it was replace the flex pipe in the exhaust ($35 and about an hour of work), new front rotors/pads ($80), and i had to replace the rear drums last winter ($225 for parts, $75 to rob for labor)...it needs a wheel bearing now, but ive been too lazy to get it done. otherwise, $350 in repairs in 2.5 years, i dont think thats horrible.

im not saying its a fantastic car, i actually despise it...i only picked it up because i needed something soon when someone decided to pull in front of me when i was doing 45mph. no a/c, no power anything, 5 speed...i just have a hard time getting rid of it though because theres nothing really wrong with it, and it gets mid 30's in the city...i made it to my buddys place in pittsburgh (it was like 168 miles) on under 4.5 gallons.

but you could get an 01-03 elantra for <$3500. i had 2 03's that were good cars for what they were.