Need ideas to grow my motorcycle business.

DTM Brian

are some of you guys really suggesting that he try and compete with the big guys like Iron Pony??

I dont think he has the experience to race prep bikes, it kinda takes a long time to build a REP.

Do what you know and what you are good at. Open a tuning shop right next to Iron Pony, you would not be competition and you would not have to advertise other than the big sign in the window.

Everyone thinks they are a BIG customer, they are not.

Your current location sucks, but I dont know how many places would want you as a neighbor, so a better location might not be too easy.

Edited by shittygsxr

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you were referring to my post shitty, i meant getting his name out using the mass of people that are in and out of Iron Pony (if allowed) not competing with their business.

not your post, but referring to everyone thinks he should be selling helmets, jackets and shit like that

iron pony has pretty much got ohio covered. i know people who come from dayton just to visit IP and maybe buy some gear. it would take another big company from out of state just to compete with Iron Pony IMO.

DTM istn' that big...and by the time they grow to compete IP will have already bought them out.

iron pony has pretty much got ohio covered. i know people who come from dayton just to visit IP and maybe buy some gear. it would take another big company from out of state just to compete with Iron Pony IMO.

DTM istn' that big...and by the time they grow to compete IP will have already bought them out.

no way. if thats the truth, they wouldve already bought out schiets, lol... people come from out to state just to get gear from us also. a lot of people go to Iron Pony, but not everyone buys from there. i know a lot of people who go there, try a lot on, come back to schiets and order everything, even tho they couldve gotten it right there. b/c they like us and want to order from the place they deal with. i have even told people, go to Iron Pony, try stuff on, come back and let us know. We can tell people that b/c 99% of them will come back and order the stuff. Loyal Customers right there!!

If he keeps his shop in good standing, people will go to Iron Pony just to try stuff on and order from him. especially if he tells customers he will beat there prices.

and its a nice ride down to Iron Pony from up here!! so its nice to go somewhere else and check stuff out, we know theyll be back!!!

true. forgot about iron pony being there.

but...

1. ya gotta start somewhere...

2. cant be only 1 place that sells gear. need competition!

The guy does dyno tuning and there is a huge need in that market. So why would you go and compete in a segment that is very well served? Have you ever ordered gear and parts online? Have you ever had your bike tuned online?

Honestly Brian if you start selling parts I will not buy them from you unless you are the cheapest. If you dyno and tune bikes, I really dont think I have much else choice but go to you.

Iron Pony sells stuff for MSRP like every other shop. they have deals on things, just like any other shop. So he can compete with them. He can do like Honda East does on TSBR. Club discounts. He is already in VERY good standing on this forum as it shows!!!! So he could start a club discount, if it doesnt work out, it doesnt work out, i say its 100% worth trying out. There are a lot of people on this forum, and a good hook-up on parts would be great!!

Like us (Schiets) and Honda East in Toledo. They have 3-4 times the inventory of bikes as we do, but that means squat, we still compete no problem.

I could teach you what you need to know in an afternoon if you like. They're pretty simple, not as simple as FI but there are basics that can be applied to all carbs. Once you know Bernoulli's principle and a few zen basics you'll have them licked.

We could probably help each other quite a bit, being's you're more focused on the Japanese side and I'm more on the Harley side. That being said, stick to what you know-apparel and parts would in my opnion dilute your business and with minimal benefit because most people buy that stuff online from businesses that buy 8 truckloads of one item so it's almost impossible to compete on price. That was a HELL of a sentence...sorry! But look at it from the other side of your counter...why have people been coming to you? Stick with it, you've been building a good trade there for a while now.

There is a parts wholesaler right here in Hilliard for Jap parts...hook up with him and let him carry the inventory.

I really agree with Shitty on this one...stick to what you know best and run with it, till you grow to a point where venturing into that area is needed. I know it isnt gonna be cheap, but an AWD is very important IMO. IPS, SlowMotion, and whoever else have one, I think if you wanna attract that crowd then its a major step to success. But you also have to give people a reason to come to ur shop over them. I have had experience with IPS in the past, and it was very positive. Theres also a guy on here with a Turbo G35, give him a reason to leave Slowmotion and come to you! You really need to get ur name out (on forums also). Maybe make some nice shirts and sell them to Ohioriders, so we can support you in the local area and not so local area (for you shady bitches in Cincy and Cleves :p) I'll gladly wear a DTM shirt to try and get the word out about a great company trying to grow!

Aaron

Edited by exSRAaron

I could teach you what you need to know in an afternoon if you like. They're pretty simple, not as simple as FI but there are basics that can be applied to all carbs. Once you know Bernoulli's principle and a few zen basics you'll have them licked.

We could probably help each other quite a bit, being's you're more focused on the Japanese side and I'm more on the Harley side. That being said, stick to what you know-apparel and parts would in my opnion dilute your business and with minimal benefit because most people buy that stuff online from businesses that buy 8 truckloads of one item so it's almost impossible to compete on price. That was a HELL of a sentence...sorry! But look at it from the other side of your counter...why have people been coming to you? Stick with it, you've been building a good trade there for a while now.

There is a parts wholesaler right here in Hilliard for Jap parts...hook up with him and let him carry the inventory.

Let me know if you ever need the dyno for some harley work. My only exposure to HD's have been a couple power commanders and 1 screaming eagle tuner. I was very impressed with the Screaming Eagle software. It is very similar to doing a speed density tune on a 98 LS1 Car. (Corvette, Camaro, Firebird, ETC)

I want to thank every last one of you that have posted in this thread for your information. It is appreciated that you have taken a little bit of time out of your day to share both your knowledge and experience in regards to motorcycles. I am sure some of the information shared here can be applied to automotive side of the business. I will be looking forward to seeing and talking to as many of you as I can at the dyno day. Please come out even if you are not planning to dyno. Good times to be had by all.

Brian, its nice to see you posting more. You seem like a good guy to work with and I am willing do drive from Dayton to have my stuff tuned by you. I'd like to get my bike to you for a custom tune by the end of this month after I check valve clearance, throttle body sync and put new plugs in. I might even see if you can work any magic on my 4.3 S-10. Its got a hypertech on it now but maybe you can do better than that tune. I also have a co-worker who might be interested in some work on his supercharged 5.0 Mustang. This is just another example of how great customer service and being friendly can get you more business. Good luck in your future business ventures and I hope you are able to be successful in your expansion.

Brian, its nice to see you posting more. You seem like a good guy to work with and I am willing do drive from Dayton to have my stuff tuned by you. I'd like to get my bike to you for a custom tune by the end of this month after I check valve clearance, throttle body sync and put new plugs in. I might even see if you can work any magic on my 4.3 S-10. Its got a hypertech on it now but maybe you can do better than that tune. I also have a co-worker who might be interested in some work on his supercharged 5.0 Mustang. This is just another example of how great customer service and being friendly can get you more business. Good luck in your future business ventures and I hope you are able to be successful in your expansion.

Thank you for the kind words. I am trying to put some more effort into the forum. What year is your S10? I should be able to find you some fuel economy as well. Let your friend know that I have been tuning 5 Liter Mustangs since 2003. Between my father and I we have 8 mustangs. A majority of my business comes from mustang tuning. However the LS1 cars are starting to catch up in terms of business.

Thank you for the kind words. I am trying to put some more effort into the forum. What year is your S10? I should be able to find you some fuel economy as well. Let your friend know that I have been tuning 5 Liter Mustangs since 2003. Between my father and I we have 8 mustangs. A majority of my business comes from mustang tuning. However the LS1 cars are starting to catch up in terms of business.

My S-10 is 2003 5 spd. From what I have heard, it should use the same tuning software as LS1s. What program are you using for LS1 tuning? I dont have anything major done to my truck, engine wise. I have shorty headers, flowmaster muffler, MSD Coil and wires. Ported throttle body, removed clutch fan and installed electric LS1 fans, hypertech tune, underdrive pullies, cold air intake, Granatelli MAF, and I think thats about it. Just simple bolt on stuff. I have larger wheels and am wanting to change rear end gears soon so the tune will have to readjust for the wheels and gear set up as well. I dont care about fuel mileage but if you can give better mileage and still add more performance, thats great. Eventually, Id like to get a cam and S/C but thats in the far future. Will your tune be better than a Hypertech tune? or will it not be worth it on a 4.3L V-6 since its not as performance oriented as a V-8?

There are far more parameters that I can change using my tuning software which is HP Tuners. I would suggest selling your hypertech and putting that money towards the cost of a custom tune for the truck. I am sure the tune needs some work given the fact that the maf has been changed. If nothing else we should run a baseline on it sometime and scan it with the tuning software to see how far off the tune is.

Cool, Thanks for the input. Hopefully there will be time to talk to you about it at the dyno day or I'll just call you some time down the road when I am ready. Are your rates the same for Autos as they are for bikes? I really appreciate your feedback. Its nice to know there is someone out there willing to work on my truck. Since I mentioned getting a S/C in the future, you dont know where I can get a good deal on one do you? I want to keep it under $4500 with air to air intercooler. I cant find any good kits for my truck anymore, since they are all phased out. I have heard bad things about Powerdyne, Vortech stopped making kits for the 4.3. Do you work with S/C's much and if so what would you recommend?

Automobile Tuning is a little more involved and comes more at a greater cost to me in terms of the cost of software and licensing. You can see more about my auto rates by visiting the website. I have plenty of experience with all three power adders on automobiles.

Would you consider doing a turbo over a supercharger?

Would you consider doing a turbo over a supercharger?

I would perfer S/C because I plan to install it myself and think a turbo set up would involve more than I know how or am comfortable with doing. I dont know anything about turbos and feel more knowledagabe with S/c. Plus I love the whine sound you get with a s/c.

I am guessing you think I should go Turbo route? Everyone tells me to go turbo over s/c but I dont know a lot about turbos. I know they are more efficient and dont take power from the engine to make power like a s/c. Keep in mine that I will only be supporting about 7 lbs of boost max from my fuel system and have no desire to go further than that. Could I turbo it for the same cost of going S/c route?

Sorry if I am bugging you with all the questions, but you really have sparked an interest here for me.

not your post, but referring to everyone thinks he should be selling helmets, jackets and shit like that

How many guys actually get their bikes even dyno'd and simply just download maps and ride? If he does just tuning, it will dry up after a bit of time.

You need something else to get them into the store. Once in and they see the tuning going on, the results and hearing what is said inside, they'll likely be back. If it is just tuning, you'll get guys saying they need to get there, but do something else.

It's a VERY small market and he needs something to support the tuning side. The BS with powder coating, the specialty crap - it's fluff. It isn't enough to attract everyday riders. He needs accessories and tires, oils, accessories, etc. The number one money maker in any shop is accessories. Not service. There's a reason for that...

Service is great and he certainly can be the best tuner around, but he needs to build that base and even after doing so, he isn't going to get a lot of return guys once they get tuned in. He needs something to get them back. Accessories help that.

He doesn't need to compete with Iron Pony. Look at HNW. They have a low amount of accessories, but they are better than Hinds, ASK, etc. They do pretty good because they do have some good accessories in stock and a decent selection. Can they compete with Pony? Nope.

The problem is that dealers don't carry much accessories and they end up losing that customer. That guy buys a $12k sportbike, he needs a helmet, a jacket, gloves, etc. If they can't get it, they will buy elsewhere...

The answer is accessories. But, what do I know? I only do it everyday...;)

dude your kidding me..i know hundreds of riders and id say 85% of them including me has never heard of iron pony..northeast ohio has so so many dealerships and acc./apparel shops.to say they got ohio covered is way off mark..maybe they have the c-bus area covered..anyways most like myself have the biggest sportbike accessory store in the world at their fingertips..its called the internet! :D

dude your kidding me..i know hundreds of riders and id say 85% of them including me has never heard of iron pony..northeast ohio has so so many dealerships and acc./apparel shops.to say they got ohio covered is way off mark..maybe they have the c-bus area covered..anyways most like myself have the biggest sportbike accessory store in the world at their fingertips..its called the internet! :D

Never heard of Iron Pony til last year when we decided to go to C-bus bike night

The answer is accessories. But, what do I know? I only do it everyday...;)

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your tuning abilities will be more used when people get into the shop to check it out. tuning only isnt gonna get people in the door. some, but not a lot. If someone can buy an exhaust, filter, and PCIII and get it tuned all at the same place. it makes for an easy buy. Its a turn off at schiets, b/c we dont tune, but 99% of the people that buy an exhaust and a PCIII are COMPLETELY satisfied with the basic preset map. most dont even know they can get it dyno tuned. thats why you need to do more, then people will see that you tune and what it can do.