Need ideas to grow my motorcycle business.

DTM Brian

Showcase the tuning, but offer general maintenance(oil/filter, brakes/rotors/lines, coolant, plugs, air filter, exhaust) and tires.

How many time have you had a bike on the dyno that really needed tires or asked when they last changed the plugs?

If I can ride my bike there get new tires mounted with out the hassle of removing them it would be a plus.

Maybe have a few bike stands so the customer can remove the wheels to offset some labor cost.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any idea how much inventory he'd have to carry to get the discount from PU' date=' TR and others that Iron Pony gets? He can't compete with them. Sure, carry some stuff but I wouldn't bank on accessories to carry my shop when Iron Pony is just up the road.[/quote']

You can't get their discount. Unless you buy like they do... BUT, that's the mentality a lot of dealers in CBus have and it is a loser mentality. If a shop sells bikes, for example and does it well, but has no accessories, the people will go to Pony. If that shop has a good selection and doesn't try to have it all, they can still succeed rather well. Again, the idea that a kid can finance his helmet, gloves and jacket in with his deal is appealing. If he's got to order it and wait, he more than likely will wait until later.

If a tuning shop has core accessories that are targeted to the average guy who comes in or who the target guy is, they will sell the product easily and with good margins. If you have it, you sell it. You can't sell what you don't have...

dude your kidding me..i know hundreds of riders and id say 85% of them including me has never heard of iron pony..northeast ohio has so so many dealerships and acc./apparel shops.to say they got ohio covered is way off mark..maybe they have the c-bus area covered..anyways most like myself have the biggest sportbike accessory store in the world at their fingertips..its called the internet! :D

Actually, Iron pony one of the biggest if not THE biggest accessories dealer East of the Mississippi. Trust me when I say that they have a customer base that is HUGE and they have a really solid return rate so it isn't just a one time trip for a lot of people.... They are a powerhouse of a shop and their numbers blow a majority of dealers away.

I don't post on here much but I wanted to add my opinion on this.. FWIW.

I know 0, nada, zilch about bikes (except to ride) and would like a few minor mods done to my bike: exhaust and jetted. I'm sure I can do the exhaust but jetting is beyond me as I haven't touched any kind of carb in years.

Brian - It would be great if you could jet and tune carbed bikes. I know the work you do on FI tuning as you've tuned my Grand Prix (Modded 3800 Supercharged and 277 FWHP). I'm sure you would do an excellent job.

• 1 month later...

Win some kind of race with your tunes. I've never seen your tuned cars or bikes win anything at any track?? I'm sure that would bring in some ppl. Enter and win a local of major race some where, It always brought big money in the race shops I've been around and worked at.Gotta prove it before you spew it.

Win some kind of race with your tunes. I've never seen your tuned cars or bikes win anything at any track?? I'm sure that would bring in some ppl. Enter and win a local of major race some where, It always brought big money in the race shops I've been around and worked at.Gotta prove it before you spew it.

Thats not a bad thought.. When you see a car/bike win at the track, thats what you want done to yours and thats who you want to do the work. People came from all over just to get their bikes worked on and tuned by Morosco and anyone that drags bikes surely knows his name. (Not to mention their more recent fiasco's)

Start heading to the tracks with your mobil dyno and business name on your truck. It will surely start getting you additional business.

Yep!!! What wins on Sunday sells on Monday. If you prove yourself at the track I am sure people will be more than happy to tune with you. Get some stickers and have the bikes/cars you dyno represent you at the track as well. If they see who helps them go faster they will customers will come running in, that's if you do well enough though. But from what I hear you will have no problems keeping up at the track.