Hmm Shelby Cobra / Z06?

Kohones

What is your purpose for the car?

For the money, NEW I would get a 2011 GT500 with the track pack. If you can drive they will go 11's stock. They have made a LOT of improvements to the GT500 for '11 like aluminum block, suspension, gears, etc. that make the car really handle if you do more than drag. I believe it's actually lapped several tracks quicker than the Z06 as well.

Then again, the Z06 is a great car and they are amazing. It just depends what your plan is? If you want looks or something rare, I wouldn't really get either. Hell, in Houston you see Vett's and Z06's like Honda Accords....they are EVERYWHERE! GT500's you don't see nearly as often.

If you plan to do drag only or really want to go cheap the 2011 Mustang GT is a great buy and can go very quick with basic mods.

Remember if you don't pay INVOICE price or BELOW on either of them you are screwing yourself. To many DEALS on all of these cars in the current market to pay even close to MSRP! Hell, you can get new ZR1's in the $90k's down here. Most dealers are offering $12k off plus the $3k GM cash rebate.

For the new GT500/used Z06 price, you can pick up a used 08+ Viper if you want something more different... :cool:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking at cars for when im finally out of school in early 2011 and for me a z06 looks perfect. Now im looking at 2004 c5's, but i cant find a better bang for your buck in a weekend track/drag car and something fun to drive to work in the spring summer and fall..... I would love to grab a c6z, but just as you are saying it call comes down to cost. anyways my vote is for the vett

Depends what you are going to do with it.... In short if you want to casually drag race get the gt500, otherwise get the vette.

If you are going to autox/road race or drive on public streets well beyond where you should be driving get the vette.

For a daily- either would be fun but the back seat in the gt500 (if they still have them KEY if you have any small children but I dont think you do) and slightly bigger trunk could be more practical. I think they went to a panhard bar/torque arm rear so while an improvement in handling over the 4 link it is still not going to feel as stable in the corners under normal driving with rear-end skips and the weight difference again would really show. The vette would likely destroy it in gas mileage.

If you want to seriously drag race I wouldn't buy either as the gt500 is pig heavy and the vette takes a lot of money to get a reliable yet decent hooking setup in transmissions/halfshafts/differentials/spindles/etc.

If you drive either one the collectors value goes down but I would argue that the shelby may be more limited in numbers but I wouldn't call either ultra-rare it will always be a mustang and standard 60's vettes cost a lot more than standard 60s mustangs. It all depends on what happens down the road. If shelbys continue to be made (which is likely as that is fords only "answer" to the vette) and GM or whoever buys the vette program after they go broke again drops the z06 for another 40 years the vette will be worth more. Look at the 1963 IIRC z06.

As far as turning heads, gearheads love both the shelby and the z06- if you are looking to awe women and children in addition get the vette.

Am I biased? Sure, but I loved my 5.0 and may be building another soon.

The vette's the all around better drivers car. The Shelby has a better interior and is more comfortable. Squeaks less too.

The Shelby name has cache' that regular Mustangs don't, and vettes don't either. And it all depends on the circle you're running with as to which is more "collectible": vette or Shelby. If it was Vette vs Mustang its a no brainer.

Regardless of merit, the Shelby name badge matters for investment: old Shelby's pull in more than old vettes on auction.

Most women I've talked to like Mustangs more than vettes. They've all called vettes "middle-aged Guido cars". They're dumb like that. So it shouldnt be in your calculate for which to buy.

Were it me I'd buy the z06. I like my engine. :)

I will grant you that the shelby is more comfortable as it does not have a race bred suspension and is larger.

But as far as squeaking less I am wondering if you are comparing it to a c3/c4? My 03Z is with 23K miles has much less squeak and rattle than an 09 v6 mustang I drove as a rental with 1400 miles. My dad's c6 with the removable top is also quieter so far but he only has 5K miles.

You are correct the shelby is not a standard mustang and a z06 is not a standard vette so it isn't mustang versus vette at resale it is shelby vs z06 and they are pretty close actually according to these 2 links that granted aren't that reliable. 150-200K for both a 1965 shelby and a 1963 z06 (unless celebrity status comes into play)

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/content/dec2005/bw20051229_129027.htm

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f4/z06vett-our-only-1963-z06-owner-191/

It all depends if the women you ask are interested in the cars themselves or the income base that buys them- but imo it is hard to argue that the aesthetic design quality of an economy car (add a badge, wheels, and spoiler=v6->shelby) is on par with a world class sports car.

Edited by hpfiend

c6z if i had the money. fuck all the time and frustration by modding a car just to be as fast or faster than another car stock. I mean sure its fun when you want to but at the end of the time most of us mod our cars because we can't afford the faster cars. So if I had $50k to drop on a car, i'd get the fastest, best handling, nicest car I could and ENJOY it.

This I want to see supported... maybe if I were driving the vette and and sam strano in the mustang.

I don't have time to find the other link but the Shelby is much improved for 2011. Maybe not faster on every track but very close with LOTS of mod potential... ;)

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track20.html

2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 ACR 2:48.6

2008 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 2:51.8

2007 Ferrari F430 Scuderia - 2:54.6

2008 Nissan GT-R - 2:55.6

2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 - 2:57.4

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - 2:58.2

2011 Ford GT500 - 2:58.4

2010 Chevrolet Corvette GS - 2:58.8

2009 Audi R8 v10 - 2:59.5

2004 Ford GT - 3:00.7

2008 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z51 3:01.2

2004 Chevrolet Corvette C6 3:03.6

2009 Cadillac CTS-V 3:04.0

2010 Ford GT500 - 3:07.4

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - 3:09.5

Thanks for sharing! That is very impressive for a solid axle car. Very surprising as well that the mid-engined exotic level Ford GT is also now bested by the souped up pony car of the same make. FWIW there was no 2005 z06 but I am assuming who ever compiled the data meant 2006.

c6z if i had the money. fuck all the time and frustration by modding a car just to be as fast or faster than another car stock.

this. all the shit i did to my cobra (600rwhp), and its likely only marginally faster than the z, and my z06 is stock. if you wanted to do absolutely nothing more to the car, it will beat the vast majority of cars you would run into on a daily basis.

Jason? "D" plan???? lol. For now it appears I'm leaning toward the C6 Z06, but due to tax implications, I'm probably gonna wait til this time next year - I don't think I could go wrong with either car / But I've been driving that Z06 I have for over 7 years, she's never let me down & the cost to maintain her has been very fair. The input from everyone on this thread has been outstanding and informative - Thx Guys

Kirk you forgot to purchase a driver mod for your cobra.

Cause i only make 530rwhp and i don't see me having any problem beating a stock c6z in my heavy car. ;)

i still have the stock clutch on the cobra and have not broken anything (yet). your statement above is invalid :p if i'm driving both cars equally, the driver mod argument does not hold. i'm sure the cobra is faster, and probably by more than i'm leading on. the vette feels more smooth, feels like it weighs 600lbs less

The vette's the all around better drivers car. The Shelby has a better interior and is more comfortable. Squeaks less too.

The Shelby name has cache' that regular Mustangs don't, and vettes don't either. And it all depends on the circle you're running with as to which is more "collectible": vette or Shelby. If it was Vette vs Mustang its a no brainer.

Regardless of merit, the Shelby name badge matters for investment: old Shelby's pull in more than old vettes on auction.

Most women I've talked to like Mustangs more than vettes. They've all called vettes "middle-aged Guido cars". They're dumb like that. So it shouldnt be in your calculate for which to buy.

Were it me I'd buy the z06. I like my engine. :)

- I've been in both - the Vette's interior is far nicer.

- Comparing a 60's Shelby Mustang to a Shelby of today is quite a stretch. Today's won't have the collectiable nature as the old one.

Personally, I would take a standard C6 over a GT500.

I don't have time to find the other link but the Shelby is much improved for 2011. Maybe not faster on every track but very close with LOTS of mod potential... ;)

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track20.html

2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 ACR 2:48.6

2008 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 2:51.8

2007 Ferrari F430 Scuderia - 2:54.6

2008 Nissan GT-R - 2:55.6

2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 - 2:57.4

2005 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - 2:58.2

2011 Ford GT500 - 2:58.4

2010 Chevrolet Corvette GS - 2:58.8

2009 Audi R8 v10 - 2:59.5

2004 Ford GT - 3:00.7

2008 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Z51 3:01.2

2004 Chevrolet Corvette C6 3:03.6

2009 Cadillac CTS-V 3:04.0

2010 Ford GT500 - 3:07.4

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS - 3:09.5

It was already covered there was no 05 Z06; either 04 or 06. As for the GT500's 2010 vs 2011 numbers, how do you even know what was measured. Rolling vs. stopped time. All stock, or was the 11 on better tires, pullied, etc? None of those numbers are really offical for anything.

It was already covered there was no 05 Z06; either 04 or 06. As for the GT500's 2010 vs 2011 numbers, how do you even know what was measured. Rolling vs. stopped time. All stock, or was the 11 on better tires, pullied, etc? None of those numbers are really offical for anything.

I know there was no Z06 in 05 I just copied and pasted the info (my fault). Go look at the changes to the 2011 GT500 (with factory Track Pack option) and you'll have your info. They were both factory stock cars but the 2011 I believe had a roll-cage for magazine testers safety. ;)