Hmm Shelby Cobra / Z06?

Kohones

Been longing for a new Z06 but haven't pulled trigger due to COST. Now I've checked out the new 2011 Shelby Cobra which isn't cheap, but it's definately got my attention.

My perception is:

* Z06 delivers more top end

* Z06 has a lil better creature comforts

* Shelby with 3.73 rear end is gonna run low low 12's in the qtr mile (pretty quick for an ol man like me)

Cost difference is huge. And the Shelby is a limited production car. With a sticker of $55,000 you're getting a lot for your money -

Honest opinions are appreciated.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bang for the buck, I would do a low mile C6 and boost it with twins at say 6-8psi and call it a very safe, affordable and wicked daily driver that is more of a timeless piece than a Mustang. I wouldn't worry about the ZO6. That's just me though. When I see a Vette, it doesn't matter what year it is, it's timeless. Not so much with a Ford.

go to corvetteforum.com, you'll see guys buying z's (still some brand new '09's on the lots) for crazy low prices, like $60's. a z06 should run 11's with a capable driver, no problem. the vette gets attention like a mustang will NEVER get. my vote goes for the z-06, hands down. my cobra has quite a bit more power than the vette, and it feels like i'm dragging a boat anchor in the cobra, compared to the vette. the vette handles like its on rails, stops on a dime, and absolutely rolls out, on the freeway

Simply put the zo6 is an all around better car. The new zo6 carbon goes 0 to 60 in 3.7 sec and runs roughly an 11.6 at say 124. The shelby is 0 to 60 in 4.2 and is a 12.50's car at like 115. The numbers dont lie and the vette will always turn more heads than a ford will. Hell my old ws6 was only a bolt on car and cost me 16k when I bought it and it turned a best of 12.43 at 117 mph and the only shelby I ever got the chance to run from a roll I put a car on it up top so I could never justify spending 50 k plus on just another mustang in my book. Just my .02cents not everyone will agree with it but thats how I feel.

I have to say = I never expected the responses I've recieved here! Thought opinions might be mixed, but didn't think the overwhelming votes would be toward the Z06 without question. I have driven the C6 Z06 & of course fell head over heels for it. Haven't driven the Shelby yet, plan I plan on doing that -

Guess if I go the Z06 path again, I'll be buying next fall (my tax complications lessen dramatically).

i frequent svtperformance.com

the natural progression is from terminator cobra to shelby, to c6z. anytime a thread comes up on that site where someone is talking about trading their shelby or terminator for a c6z, the overwhelming response is to buy the vette--and that's from a ford site.

Well, Ill dare to be different and say go with the GT500. Personally I like both cars but if I were choosing for me, I like the GT500 a bit better. I think it just fits my personality better. I like the roominess of the interior a bit better and there is something really fun about driving a supercharged car. The 07-09 cars while nice but were not all that impressive in the power department until you begin to mod them and then they really wake up. The 10's are better than previous years and the 11' is even better. The interiors are way better than previous generations, the handling is better, the traction control system is better, the steering is better with the new electric power assist. All around it is a much better car than previous years. I love the way the 2011 with the track pack sits and the GT500's are fairly easy to get alot more power out of without breaking the bank. Either way though, you really cant go wrong. Both cars are really fun to drive. It really should just come down to personal preference and whichever you see yourself enjoying for longer.

Well, Ill dare to be different and say go with the GT500. Personally I like both cars but if I were choosing for me, I like the GT500 a bit better. I think it just fits my personality better. I like the roominess of the interior a bit better and there is something really fun about driving a supercharged car. The 07-09 cars while nice but were not all that impressive in the power department until you begin to mod them and then they really wake up. The 10's are better than previous years and the 11' is even better. The interiors are way better than previous generations, the handling is better, the traction control system is better, the steering is better with the new electric power assist. All around it is a much better car than previous years. I love the way the 2011 with the track pack sits and the GT500's are fairly easy to get alot more power out of without breaking the bank. Either way though, you really cant go wrong. Both cars are really fun to drive. It really should just come down to personal preference and whichever you see yourself enjoying for longer.

So what your saying is the 2011 Shelby is better than all the other Shelby's :)

Im saying the progression just keeps getting better and better each year and if I had to choose a year, the 2011 would be it.
No I got you that is what is being said in motor trend and car and driver as well. I was more just joking to the fact that I think I read the word better over six times in your first post. I know what your saying though. I just couldnt imagine spending that kind of cash for a car that has numbers like that. I know its not all about the numbers but for the price tag I would expect a little more. I mean hell save the extra 20 g's and get a new 5.0 gt that runs what 12.70's at like 111 mph and turbo that bitch and smoke shelbys and zo6's all day long. That is what I would do if I was a Ford guy and wanted something new.

No I got you that is what is being said in motor trend and car and driver as well. I was more just joking to the fact that I think I read the word better over six times in your first post. I know what your saying though. I just couldnt imagine spending that kind of cash for a car that has numbers like that. I know its not all about the numbers but for the price tag I would expect a little more. I mean hell save the extra 20 g's and get a new 5.0 gt that runs what 12.70's at like 111 mph and turbo that bitch and smoke shelbys and zo6's all day long. That is what I would do if I was a Ford guy and wanted something new.

I guess I did use better a lot! I feel for the price, the Shelby is a decent buy. Some guys feel it is overpriced. Okay, I can see that. But at the same time, you are paying for more than just the supercharger upgrade. Obviously the 5.4 is proven and the 2011 is the new aluminum block. You can easily up the power to levels that make the car insane to drive on the street without worrying about the internals a whole lot. The fuel system is there to support the power and has plenty of room to grow for minimal money. Yeah you could build a 5.0 but no one knows what the thresholds for the new 5.0 motor are. Until they start popping, no one is going to know how strong the internals are. Twin turbo, supercharger, whatever, is going to set someone back $7-8k and then tuning it is a whole nother topic. The clutch needs upgraded to hold any power, they arent even taking the abuse the stock motor gives out. Trust me, I know. And once the 5.0 motor is making the power of the GT500, you still dont have the stronger trans that the GT500 has, or the wider wheels and tires that you will need to help keep the car on the road. So comparing apples to apples, the GT500 really is not a bad buy at all, plus you get the warranty.

I guess I did use better a lot! I feel for the price, the Shelby is a decent buy. Some guys feel it is overpriced. Okay, I can see that. But at the same time, you are paying for more than just the supercharger upgrade. Obviously the 5.4 is proven and the 2011 is the new aluminum block. You can easily up the power to levels that make the car insane to drive on the street without worrying about the internals a whole lot. The fuel system is there to support the power and has plenty of room to grow for minimal money. Yeah you could build a 5.0 but no one knows what the thresholds for the new 5.0 motor are. Until they start popping, no one is going to know how strong the internals are. Twin turbo, supercharger, whatever, is going to set someone back $7-8k and then tuning it is a whole nother topic. The clutch needs upgraded to hold any power, they arent even taking the abuse the stock motor gives out. Trust me, I know. And once the 5.0 motor is making the power of the GT500, you still dont have the stronger trans that the GT500 has, or the wider wheels and tires that you will need to help keep the car on the road. So comparing apples to apples, the GT500 really is not a bad buy at all, plus you get the warranty.

Ya I can see what you are saying. It would be fun to be one of the first to push that motor too its limits too. Say 8 gs for your turbo set up, new clutch and tranny would be what say 4 grand or around there, thats 12 grand on those two major parts to the set up and you would have another 8 grand left for bolt ons, tune, drag radials, and what ever else you would want. I would have to say well over 500 whp can be had for not even 20 grand in mods if the motor were to hold. I kinda wish I had the money to give it a try.

Ya I can see what you are saying. It would be fun to be one of the first to push that motor too its limits too. Say 8 gs for your turbo set up, new clutch and tranny would be what say 4 grand or around there, thats 12 grand on those two major parts to the set up and you would have another 8 grand left for bolt ons, tune, drag radials, and what ever else you would want. I would have to say well over 500 whp can be had for not even 20 grand in mods if the motor were to hold. I kinda wish I had the money to give it a try.

i had 500rwhp in my cobra with a $700 blower port, $250 boost a pump, $500 in tuning/dyno time, $150 for my intake, $400 catback, and $400 for miscellaneous (pulley, blower belt, plugs, etc). why would you spend $20k in upgrades to a GT, when you'd be at or beyond the price of the GT500, which is a much, much better starting platform.

for the vette, its really not that difficult to get 500rwhp, and get the car's weight down around 3,000 lbs. less weight, means less stress on all drivetrain components