Registering a Car From Out of State

Bigbird

I'm picking up a car from Virginia this weekend. My bank told me that I would need to get it registered there to get 30 day tags to drive it back, and then have to register it in Ohio as well to get permanent plates...this seems like a HUGE pain in the ass, and waste of money.

My dad is coming with me and suggested that I just use the plates I already have, throw them on the new car, and drive very gingerly back. The title is going to the bank, so will I have any issue getting it registered when I get back to Ohio with the bill of sale? Or is there anything the current owner needs to actually be present to sign on? That's my main worry. Any help is appreciated guys, thanks.

Correct. I THINK I've already got a copy of the loan and bill of sale, there's just a left over 2K (ish) check that's beyond what he owes on the car. I have to give that to him on Saturday when I pick it up. So could I theoretically get it registered and have tags this week?

You have to get it "inspected" locally before they will transfer the title. This simply means them verifying the VIN plate on the car to the one on the title, and verifying the mileage of the car. Takes 2 seconds...but the car must be here.

I've always just thrown my plates from my other car on when driving home, as long as you have the title/bill of sale you should be fine if you get pulled over. I've done this plenty of times without an issue.

You have to get it "inspected" locally before they will transfer the title. This simply means them verifying the VIN plate on the car to the one on the title, and verifying the mileage of the car. Takes 2 seconds...but the car must be here.

I've always just thrown my plates from my other car on when driving home, as long as you have the title/bill of sale you should be fine if you get pulled over. I've done this plenty of times without an issue.

Ive had my inspection done out of state before.