• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

_______________________________BMW______FORD

BASE PRICE____________________$60,575 $30,495

PRICE AS TESTED_______________$67,025 $40,275

TRUE CAR TRUEVALUE PRICE*_____$64,341 $32,585

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1010_2011_2011_ford_mustang_gt_vs_2011_bmw_m3_comparison/specs.html#ixzz10m94tKwA

Honestly?

You won't get M3 level performance without the brake package. To get the brake package, you need the higher trim level. It puts it at 35,290ish.

But you are right. Its a domestic M3. Go buy one.

That's why I liked top gears AMG to Camaro comparo, yes the AMG is twice the money, but its twice the car. I love the new 5.0. Don't compare it to an M3. Totally different cars, totally different drives, totally different buyers. If you have $70k that you can legitimately spend, not you're capable of hyperextending your finances to $70k, none of those buyers go, oh I'd have a ford instead. It's nice to know the 5.0 is good value, but the same car, no, not at all.

That's why I liked top gears AMG to Camaro comparo, yes the AMG is twice the money, but its twice the car. I love the new 5.0. Don't compare it to an M3. Totally different cars, totally different drives, totally different buyers. If you have $70k that you can legitimately spend, not you're capable of hyperextending your finances to $70k, none of those buyers go, oh I'd have a ford instead. It's nice to know the 5.0 is good value, but the same car, no, not at all.

You sir, get out of here. This is not the place to make sense.

School me

Buying a new car is almost always a big waste of money. Wait 2 years, get a used for way under the price of new, and still have a factory warranty. Let some other idiot take the depreciation hit.

i was just at the race track i talked to a guy who says the are really fast seen his friends in the 9's from the show room i don't know all about them good luck

LOL, maybe in the 1/8th mile. Of course you think your Saturn went mid-12's @ 108..........

Con: It's a New Ford

I don't think there are many new cars out there that impress me. Just don't make them like they used too. Sure the engine may be nice, and the suspension more refined, but to work on the new stuff/buy parts for the new stuff, deal with SHITTY interior's on the new stuff is just not worth it to me.

You sir, get out of here. This is not the place to make sense.

I only compare it to the M3 for the performance numbers. Some people that actually track their cars would be swayed by the idea of saving $20-30k on the price of entry. I'm not saying that new 5.0 = M3. I'm saying that new 5.0L /= your typical Mustang, or even typical muscle car for that matter.

I only compare it to the M3 for the performance numbers. Some people that actually track their cars would be swayed by the idea of saving $20-30k on the price of entry. I'm not saying that new 5.0 = M3. I'm saying that new 5.0L /= your typical Mustang, or even typical muscle car for that matter.

I know, and completely agree.

The Mustang is my favorite car in its class (camaro, challenger, 370z etc). No competition if you ask me.

You obviously don't spend much time inside "new stuff."

I do enough to say that the American cars are still really cheap compared to some of the older stuff....

'09 Equinox, '08 Malibu Maxx, '07 SRT peon, '10 Prius, '07 Civic etc....?

My opinion at least, compared to say '08 Nissan Altima, '07 BMW 335Xi

I've seen my fair share of new stuff, maybe not as much as others, but I hate my Dad's Equinox. I feel like anything can/will break at any second on a lot of the new stuff and it does as seen at the shop and you can't buy replacements to fix it on most American cars if it is 5 years old or older....

I do enough to say that the American cars are still really cheap compared to some of the older stuff....

'09 Equinox, '08 Malibu Maxx, '07 SRT peon, '10 Prius, '07 Civic etc....?

My opinion at least, compared to say '08 Nissan Altima, '07 BMW 335Xi

I've seen my fair share of new stuff, maybe not as much as others, but I hate my Dad's Equinox. I feel like anything can/will break at any second on a lot of the new stuff.

The '09 Equinox is not new. The '10 Equinox is all new and is pretty darn nice.

The '08 Malibu Maxx is now new and was totally redesigned for '09.

A Neon? Really, you're going to use that as an example?

Things I've been in recently: '10 Equinox, '11 Grand Cherokee, '11 Charger, '11 Challenger, '10 CTS and CTS-V, '10 SRX, '10 Shelby GT500, '10 Mustang GT, '11 Edge, '10 Fusion...and probably more that I don't remember. The point is, all of these are BIG improvements over their previous model. At least go out and sit in the latest models before bashing it.

good: 3 link rear suspension

bad: the upper link on the 3 link is too short. while it will handle very well its still not ideal because of the short link.

more bad: the anti squat is about 30%. again decent handing because of the low number (better number would be around 75%) for drag racing it won't hook as well as it could with 100% or higher anti squat.

the good: you could have a car than handles to take to road track days and another car to take drag racing.

Buying a new car is almost always a big waste of money. Wait 2 years, get a used for way under the price of new, and still have a factory warranty. Let some other idiot take the depreciation hit.

I agree with you 100%! I will never ever buy a new car ever again. Last new one I purchased my loan was still at 25k while they were being sold for 20k. I love what I have seen but buying one wont happen until the 2012 models come out next year (after I go back and forth for a year about trying to figure out what car I want).

Here is my impression of the car. For the pro's, the car is probably the funnest Mustang to drive ever built and it is not all in the power of the 5.0 motor. The electric power steering is really good in my opinion. It is very progressive and provides a lot of driver feedback. You always feel like you are in control of the car. The car has a really "light" feel which makes the car feel smaller than it is. The Brembo brakes feel really good on hard stops and the car feels really well balanced. Power is very good right from the factory and the higher in the rpm range, the harder it pulls, especially between 5k-7k. Ford put a lot of technology into the motor that was not available previously. Twin independant variable cam timing, piston oil squirters, and factory widebands are some of the major additions. Ford got it right on the gear spacing with the transmission. The car pulls really hard and evenly in every gear. If you opted to go auto, the new auto is a 6spd and the auto transmission cars actually seem to have an edge on the manual cars in the 1/4. Fuel mileage is great for the power the car makes. With the 3.73 gears and driving 75mph, I got an average of 23.7 mpg going to Indianapolis a few weeks back. The interior feels years ahead of the previous generation. The seats are really comfortable and the interior layout is decent. The sync system is really nice and will actually do turn by turn directions right on the radio display. My car has the Shaker 500 system and it sounds really good as well. Plug the Ipod right into the center console and you are ready to roll.

Cons so far for me are the clutch. In my opinion, not really a Ford a problem. If used as the car was intended to be used from Ford, the stock unit would probably hold up fine. If you go standard and plan to drive it hard, the clutch will eventually need addressed and the McLeod units are not cheap. There are plenty of guys already having issues with the pedal sticking to the floor above 7k and so far the only real solution has been to go with an aftermarket clutch. I only know of one other person that has sheared the dowel pins off of the flywheel and he also has been beating the snot out of the car, so that seems to be a much rarer issue and only related to high rpm abuse. The good news on the clutch is that the McLeod unit is very, very nice and easily streetable while giving plenty of room to grow int he power department. My only other complaint so far is in the noise department. When the car was stock, it was fine. Once it was lowered and the lower control arm relocation brackets were installed, rear diff noise started being transmitted through the floor. Not a huge issue but I am picky and it does annoy me.

I think the internals may actually be a little bit stronger than people were originally speculating. There are a few cars out there in the 580 rwhp range on stock internals that seem to be doing fine so far. Only time will tell how well the rods will actually hold up and no body will know for sure what the threshold is until people actually start crossing it.

Appreciated!!!