Jim Tressel: what the hell dude?

AWW$HEEET

Please...

Anyone coaching that school would have atleast that record, if not better. They always have great talent coming in. The players win them the games they win. The coaching is a joke.

Yeah...ok. Just like Charlie Weis at ND? Didn't think so. Terrible arguement.

If you call a bad play that results in a punt it takes about 10 years to lose your job... ask Cooper.

He won't lose his job if he continues what he's doing. You guys are forgetting a few things. Big Ten Champs repeatedly. Ranked 90 consecutive weeks, 2nd only to Texas. Things like this is why Tressel IS a good couach and WILL keep his job.

This is all pointless banter, Bama would wipe it's ass with OSU right now. Jim should consider throwing a game so they get to a bowl they have a chance of winning. Bama looked like National Champs today.

'Bama shouldn't count their chickens just yet. I have a feeling an upset is looming, but they're good. Remember, they struggled against Arkansas and Florida blows. Of course they looked awesome.

I will be shocked if the team from up north gets a 6th win and becomes bowl eligible. No NW, No Minn. Only ranked teams from here on out (except Ill and Pur) for Denard to waste what could have been a landslide Heisman victory if Michigan had ANY defense at all. Kid is amazing.

Denard is a great RB. He's a terrible QB. Eyes his receiver the whole time and is thinking of tucking and running before passing no matter what is called. Better defenses will start depleating his inflated stats. His receivers are the reason he's racked up so many passing yards.

I love how much people bitch and moan about. Play calling. Look at it this way. The team is still in 2nd place. They did what they had to do to win, and pryor isn't on the sidelines. If he can run a billion times and still put up more pts than the other team that's all that should matter. If they go to some wild high scoring offense then start losing then what r u going to say? Stfu until he has a losing season. Trust the guy that wins and support it

This.

We're actually #1 in the longest active ranked streak now because they dropped out after losing to Oklahoma.

My ONLY concern going forward is the RB situation. Boom is a great, consistent #2. Saine is running like absolute shit right now. There is not a doubt in my mind that Hall, Berry or Hyde could be running better than him right now. But can any of those three be half the receiving threat that Saine is? We have 2 weeks to find out because with Wisconsin losing in East Lansing yesterday they will be pinning their whole season on our game in Madison.

He won't lose his job if he continues what he's doing. You guys are forgetting a few things. Big Ten Champs repeatedly. Ranked 90 consecutive weeks, 2nd only to Texas. Things like this is why Tressel IS a good couach and WILL keep his job.

All it takes is one rebuilding season to show all of his flaws. For his sake lets hope he keeps recruiting like he does.

P.S. You are settling for being ranked and Big Ten Champions with National Champion-like teams. With the players they recruit they should be ranked and Big Ten champs.

Edited by V8 Beast

All it takes is one rebuilding season to show all of his flaws. For his sake lets hope he keeps recruiting like he does.

P.S. You are settling for being ranked and Big Ten Champions with National Champion-like teams. With the players they recruit they should be ranked and Big Ten champs.

Settling? Didn't know if you weren't perfect every year you are settling. Buckeye fans have unrealistic expectations. I heard someone say .last yr was a wasted season since we weren't playing in the n.c ... people don't realize that osu has the largest target on there back wk after wk. We go to different schools and people try and start shit with us just because we wear the colors. That team gets everyones best shot, and most of the time we come out on top. If tressel calls a safe conservitive gm and wins, I'm all about it, because it won't matter wat they did the wk before. No one cares tp wen 18 in a row vs ou, they only see that he didn't do it this wk and they ran the ball down illinois throat and dominated the clock. All that counts is the W, that's it.

Settling? Didn't know if you weren't perfect every year you are settling. Buckeye fans have unrealistic expectations. I heard someone say .last yr was a wasted season since we weren't playing in the n.c ... people don't realize that osu has the largest target on there back wk after wk. We go to different schools and people try and start shit with us just because we wear the colors. That team gets everyones best shot, and most of the time we come out on top. If tressel calls a safe conservitive gm and wins, I'm all about it, because it won't matter wat they did the wk before. No one cares tp wen 18 in a row vs ou, they only see that he didn't do it this wk and they ran the ball down illinois throat and dominated the clock. All that counts is the W, that's it.

Like stated when you have some of the best recruiting classes and position coaches in the nation its almost too easy to breed excellence. New players see great players and keep it going. What OSU is missing is an O cord that knows how to call plays in the flow of the game. There is a science that involves outside influences. Tressel playbook at times does not take into account the players on the field.. just the field position and current score. He's repeatedly plays against the stregths of his team. If you read back to when he was losing the big games I was on his side all the way. Hes not evolving with his team or the times.

If you ask him yourself he will tell you the Big Ten Championship is good but he will not settle for that. Thats the consolation prize to the national championship. Not easy by any means, but still not what they started spring training shooting for. There are 1 million things a coach has to do. He is not a bad overall coach, there is no way... but he does sucks at play calling. If the buckeyes were a sports car Tressel is the old man in the slow lane with his blinkers on. Open that thing up every now and then and have some fun dammit!!

Tressel: "Ok, we are going to do a 36 dive. It hasnt worked the last 13 times, but they will think there is no way we are dumb enough to do it again.. and break it for a big one!"

Every Big 10 coach: "Its 3rd and 8, be ready for the 36 dive." :lol:

Edited by V8 Beast

Open that thing up every now and then and have some fun? Like when we put up 73 (the most ever by a Tressel-coached OSU team, first time he ever broke 60 points) on Eastern Michigan including a halfback pass for a TD to Pryor? OSU is currently 8th in the country in scoring offense averaging 44ppg. Up 41 spots from a season ago and 15ppg. We're top 20 in rushing offense and top 25 in overall offense.

And if you don't think the offense has evolved over the past year and a half then you just don't know football. Yes, in a situation like Illinois where it's windy, your QB is injured and your defense is smothering the opposition, Tressel went the safe route and got his national title contending team out of there unscathed. With Pryor still recovering this weekend I wouldn't be surprised to see us go for 300+ rushing yards against the 108th ranked rushing defense in the country and let Pryor rest up for Wisconsin.

Also, that Illinois team might be better than anyone thought before the game. They'll most likely be a bowl team.

Open that thing up every now and then and have some fun? Like when we put up 73 (the most ever by a Tressel-coached OSU team, first time he ever broke 60 points) on Eastern Michigan including a halfback pass for a TD to Pryor? OSU is currently 8th in the country in scoring offense averaging 44ppg. Up 41 spots from a season ago and 15ppg. We're top 20 in rushing offense and top 25 in overall offense.

And if you don't think the offense has evolved over the past year and a half then you just don't know football. Yes, in a situation like Illinois where it's windy, your QB is injured and your defense is smothering the opposition, Tressel went the safe route and got his national title contending team out of there unscathed. With Pryor still recovering this weekend I wouldn't be surprised to see us go for 300+ rushing yards against the 108th ranked rushing defense in the country and let Pryor rest up for Wisconsin.

Also, that Illinois team might be better than anyone thought before the game. They'll most likely be a bowl team.

Eastern Michigan, Marshall, OU = Lets pad our stats and help the smaller schools make some money. The entire playbook is open when you are playing teams that dont have a chance.

Now for evolving. Please tell me how his offense has evolved? Is your kicker attempting to break records for the most field goals in a game evolving? If it is then one day maybe our kicker will win the heisman. The play calling in the wind didnt look a lot different than his play calling out of the wind. The difference is the players. I'm curious to see what happens if the running backs cant be bruisers like his playbook calls for. Beanie is gone, but he's running the same plays. Dont forget that Pryor threw like the wind was blowing most of last year. If I'm lucky Tressel will prove me wrong but I know he wont because hes one of the most consistent coaches in the game. At first I thought he didnt trust his team. He does trust them, its his style that makes it look like he doesnt. Getting points and holding the ball is proven to work 10/11 games every year. The same stuff we are talking about now were in threads from 2008 and 2009 almost verbatim. Thats not evolving, thats Tressel Ball... the same thing driving the same results. What I want is enough of a change to make that 10/11, 11/11. Everyone knows we have the talent.

This season has just started.. The only real game so far was Miami before Illinois. Remember this thread and come back in 5 weeks. If I'm wrong I'll be the happiest person in the world.

Edited by V8 Beast

In any given "rebuiling season" under Tressel we haven't lost more than 3 games, only one of those being an in conference game. I'd say that's pretty friggin' outstanding.

Also, if EVERYONE knows what we're gonna do, why can't they stop us? If we still come out on top I'd say he did ok.

No he's not the greatest and yes I'd love to see a good O coordinator but "better safe than sorry" has worked before. You don't see us losing to teams like Boise St (Oklahoma), App State (UM), or James Madison (VT).

Is tp better than troy smith? I don't think so, smith had an open playbook. And they did the same thing tp is doing. Winning. So what difference does it make? Tressel has 1 true job. Win football gms. Its not in the contract that you must entertain the fans with trick plays a spread offense and 52 points a gm. When the season is over its gonna say wins vs losses. Not wins but they put up a ton of points. Oregon put up a ton of points last yr, they lost to tressel. Cincy put up a ton of points last yr. They lost. Fla put up big numbers, they lost. Usc usually puts up big gotty numbers. They lost. Ill take tressel kicking 3 fgs a gm as lon as the oppenent has less pts. The o cord is playing a numbers gm, if 36 dive is getting 3.4 yrds an attempt, vs a hb toss that's worked 3/10x. Give me the 36 dive over and over. Whoops play action. 36 dive 10 more x.

Now for evolving. Please tell me how his offense has evolved?

Like I said, if you haven't been able to notice the changes since the beginning of last season to this point then you just don't know football and I can't really help you.

If you're truly interested in trying to understand what OSU does (and has been doing) on offense for the past year or so check out this site: http://www.alongtheolentangy.com/

Read anything by Ross Fulton.

Here is a quarter season offense review he did:

http://www.alongtheolentangy.com/2010/9/29/1717576/ohio-state-quarter-season-offensive-review

In any given "rebuiling season" under Tressel we haven't lost more than 3 games, only one of those being an in conference game. I'd say that's pretty friggin' outstanding.

Also, if EVERYONE knows what we're gonna do, why can't they stop us? If we still come out on top I'd say he did ok.

No he's not the greatest and yes I'd love to see a good O coordinator but "better safe than sorry" has worked before. You don't see us losing to teams like Boise St (Oklahoma), App State (UM), or James Madison (VT).

The dude is an excellent all around coach. Remember how Cooper got forced out for things that were out of his control for the fact that his popularity went down. If Tressel has one season where they lose its will be the players fault hands down... but I bet money they will blame him. The o cord saves his ass. Not that we have to worry about that because they are winning, but no team is perfect. My argument is what needs to be done in the persuit of perfection.

One thing I always said when I was playing football. There is nothing wrong with winning until you lose.

Edited by V8 Beast

Is tp better than troy smith? I don't think so, smith had an open playbook. And they did the same thing tp is doing. Winning. So what difference does it make? Tressel has 1 true job. Win football gms. Its not in the contract that you must entertain the fans with trick plays a spread offense and 52 points a gm. When the season is over its gonna say wins vs losses. Not wins but they put up a ton of points. Oregon put up a ton of points last yr, they lost to tressel. Cincy put up a ton of points last yr. They lost. Fla put up big numbers, they lost. Usc usually puts up big gotty numbers. They lost. Ill take tressel kicking 3 fgs a gm as lon as the oppenent has less pts. The o cord is playing a numbers gm, if 36 dive is getting 3.4 yrds an attempt, vs a hb toss that's worked 3/10x. Give me the 36 dive over and over. Whoops play action. 36 dive 10 more x.

You missed the entire point. This is making me wonder how you keep your grades up high enough to play sports ;). A play caller takes into account the score, personel, field position, success to fail ratio of the play, defense, defensive tendencies, defensive personel, defensive positions, ability of the offense, weather, etc.. etc.. etc... He does this until he gets within field goal range or the lead and throws it all out. It has been proven to make national championship caliber teams win most of their games and be big ten champs. As you said all that matters are the W's... well he's got a couple of L's in there. If history repeats itself again this year I'm sending the buckeys the bill for the shoe that will go through my tv.

Again, there is nothing wrong with winning until you lose.

Edited by V8 Beast

The dude is an excellent all around coach. Remember how Cooper got forced out for things that were out of his control for the88 fact that his popularity went down. If Tressel has one season where they lose its will be the players fault hands down... but I bet money they will blame him. The o cord saves his ass. Not that we have to worry about that because they are winning, but no team is perfect.

One thing I always said when I was playing football. There is nothing wrong with winning until you lose.

Well, Cooper was 73% with 0 NC, 3 big ten titles and 2-7 in Bowl Games in 9 years and Tress is 81% with 1 nc, 6 Big Ten titles and 5-4 in bowl games.

Lets not even begin to talk about their performances against UM.

Anyways, your comparison isn't close.

Well, Cooper was 73% with 0 NC, 3 big ten titles and 2-7 in Bowl Games in 9 years and Tress is 81% with 1 nc, 6 Big Ten titles and 5-4 in bowl games.

Lets not even begin to talk about their performances against UM.

Anyways, your comparison isn't close.

Sorry, I grabbed a hall of fame coach and the only other coach at Ohio State in lord knows how long. Since Cooper lost his big games in bowl games and Tressel did his during the regular season it makes it better? They both have a history of being outcoached when it counts.

Sorry, I grabbed a hall of fame coach and the only other coach at Ohio State in lord knows how long. Since Cooper lost his big games in bowl games and Tressel did his during the regular season it makes it better? They both have a history of being outcoached when it counts. The Michigan we are playing now is also not the Rose Bowl winning powerhouse they used to be. I dont even think I've finished watching a game in the last few years because there is no competition.

when michigan was good (01-06) tress was 5-1

Also, Cooper was bad about dropping games throughout the season as well as the bowl games. tressel is a much much much better coach than cooper was. Cooper was a mediocre coach and an amazing recruiter.

If you want to make a case about coaches being run out of town, Earle Bruce is the name you are looking for. 75%, 4 big ten titles, 5-3 bowl record, no NC (1 point short), and a winning record against UM

when michigan was good (01-06) tress was 5-1

Also, Cooper was bad about dropping games throughout the season as well as the bowl games. tressel is a much much much better coach than cooper was. Cooper was a mediocre coach and an amazing recruiter.

If you want to make a case about coaches being run out of town, Earle Bruce is the name you are looking for. 75%, 4 big ten titles, 5-3 bowl record, no NC (1 point short), and a winning record against UM

Bruce is too far back for a lot of people on this forum to understand. I also edited out the part about the Rose Bowl because even during their losing seasons they made up look bad. Tressel is a better coach and his record shows that (half the losses in almost the exact same time). Just remember what people were saying about him when he lost to Michigan, Texan, etc. Fans and reporters are quick to hate here in Ohio. They wanted his head for a while even with winning seasons.

Now I need to go to a sports bar and get into a debate with someone. Doing it online just isnt as fullfilling... Plus I can google things to make me look smarter than I am :lol:

Bruce is too far back for a lot of people on this forum to understand. I also edited out the part about the Rose Bowl because even during their losing seasons they made up look bad. Tressel is a better coach and his record shows that (half the losses in almost the exact same time). Just remember what people were saying about him when he lost to Michigan, Texan, etc. Fans and reporters are quick to hate here in Ohio. They wanted his head for a while even with winning seasons.

Now I need to go to a sports bar and get into a debate with someone. Doing it online just isnt as fullfilling... Plus I can google things to make me look smarter than I am :lol:

I think people just get bored with his style which is understandable. We watch the game for entertainment. A 10-7 win with 40 runs which consisted of 3 different plays isn't exactly good tv.