Denny Dotson Automotive....

Evolved8

If you don't have anything worth adding to this thread then please move on. Don't just post because you feel like it..

If you have Done business, or have had dealings with them please let me know what you thought about them on there product, and on them on a personal level. Good? bad? discuss your situation...

I have both bought and sold to them. Here Is the story of my last visit. this is a true story.

I was there looking at a C6 that caught my eye. I walked in the dealer Denny was the only one there. I usually Deal with Lyle but he had one of the cars i was looking at at the golf course. Anyways Denny throws me the keys to this Corvette and tells me not to bring it back smoking LOL. I get in it and notice the clutch pedal is alot softer than the stock C6 clutch and it did not have that springy feeling (c6 owners will know what i mean) I didn't think anything of it. I made it a mile down the road before there was an issue. While shifting from 3rd to 4th the clutch pedal stuck to the floor. I tried picking it up and pumping it up. Nothing. I pull over and call denny he is PISSED. He says "are you fucking serious." and hangs up. I proceed to check the car out on the side of the road. The clutch fluid on this 14,xxx mile C6 is Pitch black with particles in it and its way under min level. He arrives minuites later and all he is worried about is his golf clubs in the trunk. He moves them into the car he came in and we go back to the dealership. When we get out he says your business is not wanted here get lost. You have never done anything with us anyways. I say DONT call me back when Lash Chevy calls you and says the clutch master took a dump and you try to sell me the car or apologise. I leave and call Lyle on his cell phone His wife answers and says they are on vacation and please call another time. I continue to say its important she refuses to put him on the phone. So I tell her what happened and she says sorry. Dennys Parents are in the hospital and he is on some medications that have been making him angry lately. I say thats fine but If you run a business you leave that at the door. or DONT come in. I still have not heard back from Lyle 3 weeks later. And I called Lash Chevy and talked to someone up there and they said the Clutch fluid was way past needing to be flushed and the Clutch master cylinder went out. The funny thing is they do't even know what a clutch master cylinder is nor how it works. Iam sure he figured I broke the car. I should have ran it into a ditch.

Extremly Poor customer treatment.

Edited by Evolved8

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only $.02 is that each time I went there while looking for a "sports" car, what they had on the lot was already WELL USED and they wanted premium money...

2 different Z06's

An 04 GTO back in 04

A Cobra early last year.

My impression is they stock bottom of the barrel cars and then price them like they are a collector car lot.

Probably some good stuff in here -

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1401943

Whats wrong with it?

Nothing is wrong with it other than I have $30k in receipts for it and the inevitable thing with a race car is the harder I drive it the more it will break and the more I will have to pay more money. I started racing bikes last year and the rush is 10x better and 10x cheaper. I am selling the drag wheels though and putting on street wheels so it will increase the likely hood of it selling.

Ridiculous as in $27-28K. I can't afford to lose anymore than that. It only has 19k miles on it..........

Guest 614Streets
Nothing is wrong with it other than I have $30k in receipts for it and the inevitable thing with a race car is the harder I drive it the more it will break and the more I will have to pay more money. I started racing bikes last year and the rush is 10x better and 10x cheaper. I am selling the drag wheels though and putting on street wheels so it will increase the likely hood of it selling.

Ridiculous as in $27-28K. I can't afford to lose anymore than that. It only has 19k miles on it..........

I broke alot of stuff already but it is part of Racing. I know what you mean by riding bikes , I have alot of friends that are bike guys and it cost them less to go faster. I love cars and drag racing so I will never try to avoid it.

Don't know much about your car except seeing it at Gearheads once or twice and that time at hoover , but if its not broken now why are you selling the drag wheels and not going racing? Just because your worried about your wallet? Did you buy a truck and trailer for it?

I broke alot of stuff already but it is part of Racing. I know what you mean by riding bikes , I have alot of friends that are bike guys and it cost them less to go faster. I love cars and drag racing so I will never try to avoid it.

Don't know much about your car except seeing it at Gearheads once or twice and that time at hoover , but if its not broken now why are you selling the drag wheels and not going racing? Just because your worried about your wallet? Did you buy a truck and trailer for it?

They are also un-comfortable and you sweat your ass off with gear on, cars FTW

Primarily because it is the end of the season, I am out of Ohio now, and yes I do not want to spend anymore money modifying this car. No one wants to buy a "purpose built drag car" so I figure with street wheels on it, it will bring in a different clientele.

I looked seriously at an 04 VW R32. They actually had a pretty good price on the R32, and were giving me about 2k more for my GTI trade in than the VW dealer would.

All the other cars on the lot sans the R32 were beat. I asked them if I could have the car for a few hours later in the week to have it checked out. They agreed and said that they suggest NOT going to Byers Imports. They said they will say something is wrong with the car just to make money. I left directly after hearing that comment.

I would avoid this place in general, unless something specific is reseached, checked out very thoroughly.

My experience there was simply looking for an '04 R32, like Aaron, back in 2006. I went up to their dealership because they had a (least rare) Deep Blue Pearl R32 with higher than average miles on it and they wanted the typical high dealer price. I figured I could re-anchor the price and negotiate it downward.

When I arrived they weren't to eager to acknowledge my presence and I didn't see the R32 on the lot, which was odd. So when I asked as to the whereabouts, they told me that some employees had taken it to the golf course for the afternoon. I was not impressed at all, since I figured that the car was probably getting beat on pretty hard on some back county roads, and they pretty much ignored my interest. They did call me about a week later to try and make some deal, though I never went back to see the car, and I ended up driving to Connecticut for a nice R32 at a fair price.

I'm surprised anyone buys from them.

Cliffs: unprofessional, probably beat on cars, premium prices, bad business practices

I live out buy them actually. Have heard many stories from my neighbors who at one time did all their body work. Many cars came on lot all beat to hell and he would send them out to be painted. On one occasion a dark colored rx7 was on his lot and it was beat up. He had it painted factory yellow and tried to sell it as a rare from factory limited edition yellow 7. Almost every car on his lot is an e bay special that is ran to shit and not worth half the money that it is listed for. Yes there are times when he has a good car on lot but that doesn't overcome the fact that most of the cars on lot are junk.

They had a skyline there a few years back that Lyle blew up a few times, me and my buddy went up there to test drive an evo, Lyle drove instead and thrashed the shit out of it. My buddy ended up buying his Audi TT off them, 2 years later it has been through 2 turbos and is now sitting in another dealership blown up lol.

A very close friend of mine had a good experience there. He purchased an e39 M5 from them. It had higher miles than others on the market at the time, but was well taken care of and clean. They worked with him on the numbers so he was buying the car right. He didn't steal it by any means, but when he was done with it he was able to go to Carmax and sell it to them for no fuss and easily put some money in his pocket.

I think a couple of key things that made his transaction favorable....the car was stock, and it came with a BMW CPO warranty (from a previous owner). I'm sure that Lyle and others beat the crap out of that car, but that's what it was made to do, and since it was stock it was made to handle all of that abuse.

So my advice when dealing with Denny would be to not buy a car that has been modified much at all, and yes, most of their crap is beat so look it over closely.