New Camaro

FST94TSI

You're not entirely wrong, but you misunderstood what they meant on top gear.

The Camaro is based on the Holden chassis-mostly suspension, and there is a UTE/Pickup truck version of the Holden available, and depending on which country you are in, depends on what it's called. Lumina UTE, Commadore UTE, Vauxhall, Opel, HSV...whatever.

So it's based on the same car that GM based their UTE's on.

Though its not a brand new chassis design, it is a very good one. Its the same chassis used in the gto, g8 & and alot of other really good Aussie cars. I you want to see some bad ass cars check out HSV(Holden Speciality Vehicles) its basically like their version of GM performance division but a bit wilder.

You're not entirely wrong, but you misunderstood what they meant on top gear.

The Camaro is based on the Holden chassis-mostly suspension, and there is a UTE/Pickup truck version of the Holden available, and depending on which country you are in, depends on what it's called. Lumina UTE, Commadore UTE, Vauxhall, Opel, HSV...whatever.

So it's based on the same car that GM based their UTE's on.

But the Ute is not a truck platform, it's a car platform. So saying the Camaro is built off an Aussie truck is incorrect. It's the other way around. Either that or the Cadillac CTS is built off a truck platform too. OMG what a piece of crap!

Aside from the fact that he's wrong, he's got a point -- sharing a chassis between a sports car and a utility vehicle is how you end up with 12 ton curb weights. GM would have been better off stretching the Solstice platform, IMO. Lord knows enough companies have shoehorned LSx motors in those to prove the concept.

You guys it's not a truck platform, it's a car platform. Think of it as a GTO that's been chopped up and made into a pickup truck.

Heres the HSV Maloo R8.

http://www.privatefleet.com.au/images/upload/Image/new-cars/HSV/08%20HSV%20Maloo%20R8.jpg

wow, fail.... For one, its not on a truck chassis. For another, the camaro is a very good car, just a bit heavy. The genesis is a joke. the 3.8 track pack car could barely out perform the v6 camaro in any aspect, and got its ass handed to it by the mustang.

but the 3.8t DID outperform the camaro in C&D test, and C&D couldnt get ford or dodge out to test the v6 versions of their cars...210hp from a v6 mustang w/ more displacement? HA!

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/2010_camaro_v6_vs._genesis_coupe_v6-comparison_tests

So we sent out invitations, but Ford and Dodge didn’t RSVP, choosing silence instead. Here’s why: The Camaro LT and the Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 are both spanking-new four-valve twin-cammers with independent multilink rear suspensions, and their outputs are on top of each other: 306 horsepower for the Genesis, 304 for the Camaro. Neither Ford nor Dodge can make like claims. It’s more than a little frustrating that the V-6 in Ford’s latest Mustang produces a pitiful 210 horses from greater displacement than either Chevrolet or Hyundai requires. Unless Ford equips the Mustang with, say, an EcoBoost V-6, Dearborn simply won’t have a horse in this race. Dodge’s V-6 Challenger—automatic only—isn’t much better off, producing 250 horsepower from 3.5 liters. A V-6 Challenger we tested achieved 60 mph in 7.5 seconds, leaving it embarrassingly in the wake of the two cars gathered here, in part because the Dodge is one big lunker—more than 15 inches longer than a Genesis coupe. Which left us with this unlikely but toothsome twosome: a 3.6-liter V-6 Camaro versus a 3.8-liter Genesis coupe. America versus Korea.

Vehicle...power/torque....0-60....0-100....0-140....1/4m@mph

camaro...304hp/273tq......5.9.....14.7......35.9......14.5@99

GenCoupe....306hp/266tq......5.5......14.2......32.0.....14.2@100

Vehicle.....prices.....weight.....braking.....skidpad

Camaro....29200.....3807......173...........0.87g

GenCoupe......30375.....3492......161...........0.88g

the only reason the camaro won the C&D comparrison (203 to 202, mind you), is because C&D gave the camaro a 22 score on the "gotta have it" and the gencoupe a 16.

You guys it's not a truck platform, it's a car platform. Think of it as a GTO that's been chopped up and made into a pickup truck.

Heres the HSV Maloo R8.

http://www.privatefleet.com.au/images/upload/Image/new-cars/HSV/08%20HSV%20Maloo%20R8.jpg

so sexy

Heres the HSV Maloo R8.

It's like a sexy modern el camino.

but the 3.8t DID outperform the camaro in C&D test, and C&D couldnt get ford or dodge out to test the v6 versions of their cars...210hp from a v6 mustang w/ more displacement? HA!

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/2010_camaro_v6_vs._genesis_coupe_v6-comparison_tests

Vehicle...power/torque....0-60....0-100....0-140....1/4m@mph

camaro...304hp/273tq......5.9.....14.7......35.9......14.5@99

GenCoupe....306hp/266tq......5.5......14.2......32.0.....14.2@100

Vehicle.....prices.....weight.....braking.....skidpad

Camaro....29200.....3807......173...........0.87g

GenCoupe......30375.....3492......161...........0.88g

the only reason the camaro won the C&D comparrison (203 to 202, mind you), is because C&D gave the camaro a 22 score on the "gotta have it" and the gencoupe a 16.

a couple problems with this statement. 1st off ford did hand over the keys to a new mustang with the 3.7L And it killed the genesis. This article is from motortrend that i read, but they put the genesis at 14.2 and the camaro at 14.3 and the handleing was just as close. They also even mention that the genesis has a stiffer suspension and better tires. So like i said yes it did perform better, but not much. Not to mention i can get a base SS for as much as a 3.8 genesis....

Why do you say that? Because it would be too expensive or because Americans are too fat?

The Solstice platform does not lend itself to the type of car the Camaro needs to be in order to be successful. With its design you lose a lot of interior space, trunk space, and it had poor ergonomics. A stretched Solstice platform would basically be a Corvette, yet the Solstice weighs almost the same with a V8 installed. (About 3000-3100 lbs for a turbo Ecotec model).

A Camaro built off a Solstice platform would have very little interior space (only a 2 seater), no trunk space, bad ergonomics, and probably horrible NVH as well. The Camaro needs to be a 2 door sedan that can be used as an every day car, but still run strong at the track. To me, I don't see a way of doing this with a body on frame, it needs to be unibody.

The Holden Ute isn't a utility vehicle. It's a G8 with a bed, and it's load rating would tell you the same thing. The reason it's heavy has more to do with the platform being shared among 'high content' luxury vehicle's, like the Cadillac CTS, Pontiac G8/Holden Caprice/Commodore/etc.

I actually like the Genesis Coupe and I wish GM would have built something like that instead of how the Sol/Sky turned out. If GM made a Genesis Coupe with the Solstice Turbo drivetrain I would be at the dealership putting my name on the wait list tonight.

AJ - The CTS comes with AWD, so I'm not too surprised. Have you looked at the floorpan's on both to see if they are the same?

FST94TSI - Was that directed at me? I said I like the Gen Coupe, so I don't see what your problem is. My first response was tongue-in-cheek, a la my internet hero Antoine Dobson. But you should also know that Jeremy Clarkson is equally tongue-in-cheek, and you shouldn't hang on his every word.

they are built on different platforms. the camaro doesn't have the clearance for the transfer case. it does have room for a front diff and splined front axles. and since neither one of those is there turbos fit very nice lol.

Ahh, d'oh. Sigma and Zeta. I got those mixed up because I always hear rumors of the next CTS/Camaro moving to the same platform.

I wonder if the AWD provisions are left over from another car on the platform, kind of like how the Sol/Sky has splined front hubs for half-shafts.

Well I own a genesis coupe 3.8 and have owned several excellent sports cars of different kinds over the years. The gene coupe for what it costs is a phenomenal sport coupe. I don't really care what your opinion is about the car, I drive it and I make the payments so I'm the one that has to like it. Have u even driven one or are all your opinions based from u just trying to be an asshole which u seem to be great at. My statement came from top gear which may have been incorrect however your reaction was not necessary. As Americans we do generally suck at making all around good cars although things are getting better. There is a reason every American car company nearly folded and it's not because we made great cars.

thats good that you like it, no one was questioning you for it. i was merely stating facts. again, thats good that you like it, but others dont, no need to get pissy about it. i personally like performance cars in general (although yes, i love my american "muscle" or pony cars as you will...) Im baseing my opinion on the fact that motortrend (as well as a few other articles ive read), have had the genesis and camaro basically neck neck over and over again with the genesis barely beating it out in most performance categories while the genesis has a few benefits over the camaro (lighter weight, better suspension, tires...). Not to mention again, you can pick up a base V6 camaro or mustang for around 22K while a base 3.8 genesis is getting pretty damn close to SS and GT pricing.