looking at buying my first gun

kirks5oh

guys,

i've just been given the slight go-ahead from the wife to get some home protection in order. what would you guys suggest for beginner's firearm(s)?? i would think a handgun and shotgun would be appropriate, as well as a gun safe in our bedroom?? trigger locks?? i would need the handgun to be small enough/easy enough for my wife to use it. obviously, we would likely go to a firearms safety course. and i have twin 3 year olds and a 16 month old in the house--that is my wife's primary concern with having guns around

thanks

kirk

trigger locks arent going to work if you want it for home protection. a robber isnt going to wait for you to grab your key and take off the trigger lock

they do have small safes though that you can use your own passcode, and get into it pretty quickly. as for a shotgun, i guess you would just need to keep it out of reach of the kids. something ive been considering (yet i dont need to since i dont have/want kids) is mounting a couple hooks on the inside wall of the closet above the door and hanging it there...that way its pretty much out of sight, kids will never get to it...idk how your closets are though...when i redid my bedroom, i have a 12' wall i made into a wall to wall closet and it has 2 sets of 2 24" doors

as for guns, you cant go wrong with a remington 870 for a shotgun, many versions available, you should be able to get one with a ~21" barrel or so (dont know what WI laws say), and for a handgun, quite a few people on here own and reccomend a smith and wesson M&P. caliber is up to you. i like 9mm for the simple fact i can hold quite a few more rounds over 40/45, and decent hollow points will expand to cause a good bit of damage. id rather have that knowledge that i have extra rounds if i need them...your wife shouldnt have an issue shooting it either. they do come with 3 interchangeable backstraps for small/med/larger hands.

Good info for us to be able to point you in the right direction. If only one gun, a shot gun with the right load. Remember, the kids are in the next room. Think onther side of the wall with your weapon and ammo choice.

If you are looking at a second gun, a hand gun makes a good tool to have. Pick a caliber that is right and comfortable to you. It might only be a .380. That's good, as long as you and who ever may use it(wife), are trained with it.

As for a shot gun, something in the Mossberg 500 range is very effective and won't break the bank. Good gun, easy to use and just all around good bang for the buck.

Hand guns you need to spend time with and shoot. See what fits your hand. What you can function. Meaning that you understand how it works and not just that you pull the trigger to go bang. Operating a Glock and then working a Walthers P22 are way different. I'm just saying. I don't know how much experiance you have with a weapon.

Hope this helps.

I found a shotgun was best for a first home defense. We do have two children, but the gun is locked in a walk in closet and that's behind our master bedroom door that we tend to lock when we are not in there. I'm not worried about the kids getting to that as much as the handguns. As time goes on we'll continue to teach both about gun safety.

The handguns, we have one on each floor, including the lower level, are all locked within hand print/fingerprint electronic safe units. Have had zero issues ever getting them open. 2-3 seconds and pop, loaded gun in hand.

I feel very confident, especially in on our first floor at night that if there were ever to be a home invasion, that I would have 15 rounds in hand in a moments notice.

Sorry to butt in....but Tim, do you just have these laying on a shelf in your various rooms, or are they bolted to the floor/wall or what? The safes I mean, just curious how you have them and if they blend in/aren't noticeable, or if they are blatantly obvious.

Back on topic....I've got a m&p 40c and a 12ga winchester fully loaded at all times here...

Sorry to butt in....but Tim, do you just have these laying on a shelf in your various rooms, or are they bolted to the floor/wall or what? The safes I mean, just curious how you have them and if they blend in/aren't noticeable, or if they are blatantly obvious.

Back on topic....I've got a m&p 40c and a 12ga winchester fully loaded at all times here...

:ninja:

Yeah..... Where are they and what do they look like?

If you are wanting a "fun" gun, that you and the Misses can shoot with ease, I would look into a 22 Handgun.

A Ruger Single Six or a Walther P22 would be good in this scenario.

:thumbup:

Good Luck!

KillJoy

you cant kill a fucking fly with it though.

9mm is the perfect size for him/her as well. Very easy to shoot, depending on the gun easy to clean, and over all a great defense round if you need to rip someone up.

thanks for all the info guys. the town i live in is extremely safe, but you never know. eventually, i'd like to get into hunting--but i'm sure that's an entirely different topic. for now, i'd just like to get something for added safety in the house. we have a home alarm, but i'm sick of the 3-4am comment from my wife "did you hear that noise downstairs?", and then walking through the house like a jackass looking for an intruder. some days i leave very early in the morning or am even gone at night, so it would be nice to have something that's easy to use/handle that my wife would be able to operate.

right now i don't know anything about guns, have only fired a shotgun once. but i'm eager to learn.

thanks again guys

You have a z06, terminator, nice performance cars get a nice performance gun. Get a benelli or Browning or Beretta 12ga auto. In case of an actual intrusion its will be easier for you and your wife just to pull the trigger. And if you wanting to hunt with your handgun you'll need a .357 or larger. Which will be a handful for you and your wife if you aren't that familiar with guns. Get a nice m&p 40.

And get a 22. I have more dun with my 22 than my ar15 and 308.

Actually, if you don't have some type of pepper spray, get the one with UV, then that should be your first buy. And then spray it on a tree or anything to see what range you have and how it comes out. Don't give the bad guy a weapon they can use against you. Not like they will spray you and then still want to have their way with you. I mean that female oriented. Have is around the house but in safe spots. From there gets your guns in place and don't even bother with a knife as a weapon without training.

Can I use this well enough to be affective for what I need to? Is there a better tool and what is it?

That's where you start.

I keep a Glock 23 .40 near me while sleeping. Also a mossberg 500 20 gauge pistol grip within reach. I've never had one single malfunction of any of my glocks. Shotgun is the best home defense gun. The sound of "racking" the action is enough to scare most and you don't need precision aim with buckshot.

Skip the pistol grip, that shit is stupid. Get a Remington 870 in any configuration so long as it has an 18" barrel. Then, regardless if you get a 12 gauge or 20 gauge, get this stock:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/SpecOps-Adjustable-Shotgun-Stock,1158,1447.htm

That way the wife won't mind shooting it because it won't hurt.

As for a handgun, get a fullsize no matter what brand you go with. My girlfriend prefers my 1911 over top of my 9mm Springer XD subcompact. So go to a range and use the rentals to see what you like. I suggest any 1911 in .45, as for 9mm try out the Smith & Wesson M&P, Springfield XD Tactical and XDm, Glock whatever (I'm not a fan of them but they are dependable, just stay away from their .40 cals), Sig Saur, maybe a Walther.

It was said before, but for the shotgun set up some hooks up high so the kids can't reach it, but more than that teach them safety, and make sure they know that if they touch it they will regret it. For the handgun, there are small safes out there that have buttons for each of your fingers, so you press a sequence and it pops open.

If its protection I would roll a 9mm with JHP's. For a shotgun I would go with the 870 or 500 due to their ability to become more comfortable with stock changes with ease. Also dont rule out 20 gauge because people havent recommended it. the correct round in a 20 gauge can be very effective. But honestly I would just try and find a range close that rents. DO NOT buy a gun cause some person says its "Roxors". You will appreciate the gun and its ability more if you go to a rental spot and try them out. Also take your wife and see how she handles the gun. I wouldnt go lower than a 9mm in small load though.

My $.02

:ninja:

Yeah..... Where are they and what do they look like?

Here, I'll PM you my address and when I'm going to take the dogs with me to the parents house too :slap:

The safes are not laying in plain sight nor easily removed if that's what you're asking. Like most everything of value, take 2-3 precautions in how you secure them.

i'm a total gun noob, took the wife out with me today to Ohio Valley and tested out some different guns.

we want something that we are both comfortable with, and she can grip easily.

we fired a:

Sig Sauer 9mm/Hated it

Glock 19/i liked it, wife didn't

S&W M+P 9mm/we both liked this one a lot

pretty sure we will be picking one of those up next weekend after we go again.