Can't open port 21 - Windows 7 issue

Nitrousbird

I created an FTP server. I had it all working (had to disable Windows Firewall to get Port 21 open, more on this later). After a reboot, I can not gain access to port 21 (testing using canyouseeme.org). I was able to see this port with this site prior to the reboot, through my router and Windows Firewall disabled.

- Already did the port forwarding in my router. But even rulled it out by bypassing my router and going straight to my modem

- Can't be an ISP issue, as I was able to do it prior to rebooting the PC

- No 3rd party anything on here - no antivirus, no 3rd party firewall, fairly new Windows 7 Ultimate 64 install. All updates have been done.

- I can get through port 80, so they aren't all blocked

- First tried the "Allow Program" feature and enabled. I even created an incoming connection rule and added in ports 20 and 21, TCP and UDP. Neither of these should matter when the firewall is disabled, but I tried it anyway.

- Tried restoring Windows Firewall defaults and opening the ports, no go.

- Yes, my network connection shows me on my "Home" network

- I ended up going into services, stopped and disabled the Windows Firewall and ICS services. No dice. Rebooted, and still no go.

I am running out of ideas. Google has been uterly useless, mostly router issue crap and disabling firewalls.

Let's start with some simple troubleshooting. You said it wworked before rebooting. Are you on a static IP address for that machine or is the ip assigned through dhcp? If dynamic your address could have changed and the portforward in your router could be assigned to a wrong address now.

For some unknown reason, it started working again.

I went to Portforward.com and downloaded their Port Forward checker software, as it is supposed to be better than the web-based stuff. Tried it once, no dice. Tried again - success. Rebooted a couple times, still worked fine. The web based one started working again too.

Makes no sense, as I didn't change anything. I did make sure to un-install Windows IIS and FTP client after just to ensure they weren't causing some sort of intermittent issue.

no, just firefox. if he cant hit the FTP from outside, he can try to hit it through firefox, id imagine he could just type in the ftp:// whatever in the searchbar and try.

Wasn't a browser issue, as I couldn't get through with my FTP server either, nor could I with my FTP client.

Lucikly it is working now and killing my shitty Time Warner upload speed. :)