Lets talk Engagement Rings

Rustlestiltskin

LET'S KEEP THIS A SERIOUS DISCUSSION FOR ONCE

I'm in the market for getting my girlfriend an engagement ring and after reading Infidel's thread and all of the advise posted I would also like to see what advice you guys have on purchasing an engagement ring. I'm going to be looking for a Cushion cut, anywhere from .75ct and up for the center diamond. with the band in white gold. I found one on jared's website for $2300 that has a .80 center stone and white gold band with 1/15 side diamonds ct tw on it.

Do you guys have any recommendations on where to go to get the best price? Only place I found so far that had everything I was looking for at a good price was jared's but i'm sure you guys know places that could custom make a ring with bigger, better quality stones for cheaper.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks,

Paul

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend going to the Diamond Cellar on Sawmill @ 161.

Tell them what you want, and how much you can spend, and they will get you the very best you can afford.

I got the Misses Ring there and I NEVER felt like was playing outta my league. They will show the differences in the cuts, sizes, color and clarity. Pick which you want that fits your budget, and BAM! You have a Ring :D

:thumbup:

KillJoy

I've just looked over all of that right before you posted it. Thanks for the insight!

REMEMBER: The ring you purchase will depreciate at a much larger percentage than a car when you take it off of the property. You can always "up" the ring at an anniversary, but you will lose your ass on a monster rock if things don't happen work out. I'm not being negative, just pragmatic.

I recommend going to the Diamd Cellar on Sawmill @ 161.

Tell them what you want, and how much you can spend, and they will get you the very best you can afford.

I got the Misses Ring there and I NEVER felt like was playing outta my league. They will show the differences in the cuts, sizes, color and clarity. Pick which you want that fits your budget, and BAM! You have a Ring :D

KillJoy

Thanks Steve, this was the kind of post I was looking for. I'll definately have to check this place out. Any more suggestions on where to look is appreciated guys. And I'm up for piecing a ring together as well as buying it complete. As in buying the center stone then the band.

I ahve been looking into this and reading a little bit. Best bang for the buck is to buy the stone somehwere either online or through someone that knows about them and then have a place set it for you.. You can save a ton if you buy the stone by itself then find the band you want

LET'S KEEP THIS A SERIOUS DISCUSSION FOR ONCE

I'm in the market for getting my girlfriend an engagement ring and after reading Infidel's thread and all of the advise posted I would also like to see what advice you guys have on purchasing an engagement ring. I'm going to be looking for a Cushion cut, anywhere from .75ct and up for the center diamond. with the band in white gold. I found one on jared's website for $2300 that has a .80 center stone and white gold band with 1/15 side diamonds ct tw on it.

Do you guys have any recommendations on where to go to get the best price? Only place I found so far that had everything I was looking for at a good price was jared's but i'm sure you guys know places that could custom make a ring with bigger, better quality stones for cheaper.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks,

Paul

My girlfriend used to work at Jared's and said she would not recommend buying from them. My aunt also works for them and we always seem to have problems with any gifts we get from there.

My girlfriend's suggestion is Diamond Cellar.

Let her pick something out, Thats about what I did my fiancee she found a ring that she liked and I called the company and asked them to keep it listed and I bought it from them. Now for me this worked because my fiancee wanted an antique ring and didnt like traditional rings.

REMEMBER: The ring you purchase will depreciate at a much larger percentage than a car when you take it off of the property. You can always "up" the ring at an anniversary, but you will lose your ass on a monster rock if things don't happen work out. I'm not being negative, just pragmatic.

^^ this. I've been married nearly 20 years and didn't have a pot to piss in when I got my wife her first ring. No worries on being smaller now as you WILL end up upgrading or improving it.

Diamond cellar is very cool about that and has a program to do so. Even my wife's earnings started off at .5ct and are now just under 1ct ea. They have an upgrade program that pays you 100% back towards a nicer rock.

We decided as per her liking to go Ruby in the center and diamonds on the sides and band. We've since upgraded everything at least once. Easier to do as you get more money and wiser as you grow closer and are married longer.

I say that last part as I have a buddy with a $10k Tiffany ring that he's been stuck with for several years after a marriage gone bad.

I pieced together and was much happier with what I got for my money. Check out http://www.goodoldgold.com for stones. They're a physical store in NY so it's nice that you can call and talk to someone if you like, but at the same time they do a huge volume so you get online prices. Their site is great and arguably gives you more info than you'd get from someone local unless you're getting VERY personalized attention.

For a setting I went to Diamond Cellar and chose the one I wanted and then had them fit the stone. They were a bit stuffy and didn't want to discount the setting for me because I wasn't buying the stone there. They did a good job of mounting everything up though and I returned there to have my band custom made.

Remember...CUT CUT CUT! At least with round stones like I bought it makes all of the difference in how the light is displayed through the stone.

I recommend going to the Diamond Cellar on Sawmill @ 161.

KillJoy

This place closed broseph.

I think like a yr or so ago?

edit, its not that place.

the one that closed is the one RIGHT at 161 and sawmill, across from speedway and the toyota dealership

Ymmmm.... yeah. That one. I was just there 2 weekends ago, and drove past a full parking lot there last weekend.

You are thinking of IDG that closed.

You are an idiot.

KillJoy