NHTSA proposes mandatory backup cameras by 2014

frenchy chan

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/03/nhtsa-proposes-mandatory-backup-cameras-by-2014/

press release:

U.S. DOT Proposes Rear View Visibility Rule to Protect Kids and the Elderly

Regulation Is Aimed at Preventing Accidental Fatalities and Injuries to Pedestrians in Low-Speed Back-Up Accidents

The U.S. Department of Transportation today proposed a new safety regulation to help eliminate blind zones behind vehicles that can hide the presence of pedestrians, especially young children and the elderly. The proposed rule was required by Congress as part of the Cameron Gulbransen Kids Transportation Safety Act of 2007. Two-year old Cameron Gulbransen, for whom the Act is named, was killed when his father accidentally backed over him in the family's driveway.

"There is no more tragic accident than for a parent or caregiver to back out of a garage or driveway and kill or injure an undetected child playing behind the vehicle," said Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. "The changes we are proposing today will help drivers see into those blind zones directly behind vehicles to make sure it is safe to back up."

The proposal, issued by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), would expand the required field of view for all passenger cars, pickup trucks, minivans, buses and low-speed vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of up to 10,000 pounds so that drivers can see directly behind the vehicle when the vehicle's transmission is in reverse. NHTSA believes automobile manufacturers will install rear mounted video cameras and in-vehicle displays to meet the proposed standards. To meet the requirements of the proposed rule, ten percent of new vehicles must comply by Sept. 2012, 40 percent by Sept. 2013 and 100 percent by Sept. 2014.

"The steps we are taking today will help reduce back-over fatalities and injuries not only to children, but to the elderly, and other pedestrians," said NHTSA Administrator David Strickland. "And while these changes will make a difference, drivers must remember that no technology can, or should, replace full attention and vigilance when backing up. Always know where your children are before you start your car and make sure you check that there is no one behind you before you back up."

NHTSA estimates that, on average, 292 fatalities and 18,000 injuries occur each year as a result of back-over crashes involving all vehicles. Of these, 228 fatalities involve light vehicles weighing 10,000 pounds or less. Two particularly vulnerable populations – children and the elderly – are affected most. Approximately 44 percent of fatalities involving light vehicles are children under five–an unusually high percentage for any particular type of crash. In addition, 33 percent of fatalities involving light vehicles are elderly people 70 years of age or older.

NHTSA is providing a 60-day comment period on this rulemaking that begins when the proposal is published in the Federal Register. The proposal and information about how to submit comments is at: http://www.nhtsa.gov/Laws-Regs

I am sure it is tragic should someone backout of their garage and hit a child as mentioned in the article, but does it happen enough to warrant the expense of making it mandatory? So the system costs x amount of dollars to manufacture but it costs the consumers xxx additional per vehicle. I am sure someone dies from falling space debris every once in awhile, lets mandate helmets for everyone as well.

Turn around and fucking look.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/14biggy/Smileys/shrug.gif

A rear view camera gives you eyes you don't have. You can see below the belt line of the rear of your car. Backing out of a garage or parked in between two other cars you can see to the left and right as soon as your bumper is beyond the garage/other cars, especially if the camera has a wide angle lens. If you've never experienced one you really should before you comment too much on the perceived benefit of this technology. If they word the standard right that's what it will require.

I've known someone who backed over and killed a kid. It was at a gas station and he was driving an SUV. They got into the car, the kid walked behind the car and couldn't be seen due to where the child was. The cops very quickly ruled it an accident and the parents pressed no charges. Accidents like this do happen that could only be prevented by a camera (and someone watching that camera). Even if someone is not paying 100% attention, the camera will probably help even more.

I am sure it is tragic should someone backout of their garage and hit a child as mentioned in the article, but does it happen enough to warrant the expense of making it mandatory? So the system costs x amount of dollars to manufacture but it costs the consumers xxx additional per vehicle.

That is exactly what they do, a cost versus benefit analysis.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/Rulemaking/Rules/Associated%20Files/ESC_PRIA.pdf

That's the proposal for FMVSS 126, which is mandatory ESC on all vehicles starting MY2012, later this year. Go to page 8/E-5 for the summary of the cost versus benefit analysis. Everyone, this is the great thing about our government...

NHTSA is providing a 60-day comment period on this rulemaking that begins when the proposal is published in the Federal Register. The proposal and information about how to submit comments is at: http://www.nhtsa.gov/Laws-Regs

If you don't like this proposal go comment!

I am sure someone dies from falling space debris every once in awhile, lets mandate helmets for everyone as well.

Space trash will actually be a problem in the future, but for other reasons that I'm sure everyone here cares more about than kids lives, like cell phone reception and TV shows being interrupted.

Turn around and fucking look.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/14biggy/Smileys/shrug.gif

We don't need to mandate cameras for old people to see better, we just need to get them off the road.... you know, that rocket full of old people going into the sun picture from 1998...

I bet you a $1000 that you would have hit the child in the back over study we did at work. We have spent 3 years researching this and trust me, it is a good thing. We installed systems in general public cars and we had people come to our test facility and use our vehicles. It is scary how many people hit stuff.

The idea is sound, but unfortunately i think they're over-estimating people's ability/willingness to use it.

I think in a few years all we'll hear are stories about how they weren't paying attention and still ran the kid/toy/bike/car over. The only difference now is that the driver of the car will get a nice traumitizing picture to go with their memory of doing the act when they look at the camera screen at the last second to see themselves running over something.

Keep in mind as well that if this were to be regulated if you have to put a screen like that in the dash and with today's touch screen technology most companies will probably also move climate controls/radio controls/other random BS onto this screen once again adding another distraction to the road.

I am full aware of the tradgedy of an accident in the driveway, but does that out weigh the tradgedies of having more distracted drivers on the road way?

Keep in mind as well that if this were to be regulated if you have to put a screen like that in the dash and with today's touch screen technology most companies will probably also move climate controls/radio controls/other random BS onto this screen once again adding another distraction to the road.

Actually the best and probably cheapest/easiest implementation I've seen is in the rear view mirror. If you aren't already putting an infotainment center in there that's what I would bet auto makers do. Anyways it's just silly to say having this be mandatory will drive makers to put an infotainment center into the car. The market is what's driving that and it will come on all cars soon regardless of whether they have backup cameras or not.

http://cf.mp-cdn.net/b7/63/76a231b33ed9f4a20c61c78e626b.jpg

They look just like a regular mirror until the screen turns on and are extremely intuitive to use since you are used to looking there to see behind the car.

Actually the best and probably cheapest/easiest implementation I've seen is in the rear view mirror. If you aren't already putting an infotainment center in there that's what I would bet auto makers do. Anyways it's just silly to say having this be mandatory will drive makers to put an infotainment center into the car. The market is what's driving that and it will come on all cars soon regardless of whether they have backup cameras or not.

[/img]

They look just like a regular mirror until the screen turns on and are extremely intuitive to use since you are used to looking there to see behind the car.

Seen those as well, but from what I have seen the quality is not so good. Why not just put the beeping back up sensors in the bumper and keep it as low tech as possible?

Although I must say that the back up camera in a 2006 Infiniti M35 was awesome since the camera angle changed with the steering wheel. If you start to turn the camera turns to the projected angle that you are turning to.

Seen those as well, but from what I have seen the quality is not so good. Why not just put the beeping back up sensors in the bumper and keep it as low tech as possible?

Have you seen any factory ones or just aftermarket? I've only seen a factory one and it was pretty good.

I'm sure the standard will specify some visual acuity/resolution/screen size and/or make it so that the driver has to be able to easily discern some standard objects while backing up. This is why these standards are important. Not only will they greatly improve safety but it will mean the technology has to meet some (good) minimum standards. That way a company can't apply some cheap, unsafe system just for a marketing gimmick.

Although I must say that the back up camera in a 2006 Infiniti M35 was awesome since the camera angle changed with the steering wheel. If you start to turn the camera turns to the projected angle that you are turning to.

Yup, brother in law has a new M37 and I got to see that in action a few weeks ago while visiting them. It is pretty cool, especially when trying to parallel park.

Have the haters here ever had one in a DD'er ? I would say not because if you did, you would have nothing but 100% support for them.I have one in the Fusion and it's priceless. I won't get a sedan or van without one from here on out.

You do see more and the features associated with the whole package do more than your eyes can ever do. They often don't just bundle in a camera and that's it.

My Fusion has rear and side cross traffic sensors telling me when there's a car coming from either side as I back out. It will look a full 270 degrees around the car. You can't do that backing up and simply turning your head. You can't do that when backing out from a spot with a tall vehicle on either side. It will sound an alarm and show an indicator telling you where the vehicle is coming from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdCd__gt7gs&feature=channel

It will also tell you if there's a person in your path. It will tell and show you how far away you are from something when backing up. There's no way you can know exactly when you're backing the Fusion up to 6" from a wall or car. I can and know it every time. You can also see far to the left/right as it's a wide angle lens. Not just that but you can see if there's an object like a bike or wagon or kid present between the bumper and the ground. Not possible at all to see that without it.

Lastly, it has incorporated into the system, blind spot indicators on both mirrors and the Navi/audible alarm when driving. Just today, I was merging left onto the freeway when a knucklehead in the middle lane moved right into my lane! I wouldn't have seen him as he was in my blind spot and ignored my signal and my being 1/2 car length farther forward than he was. The system alerted me he was on his way over. It's also priceless in terms of blind spot notifications.

Again, own a car with one of these systems and you'll see the light. Sometimes literally.

Edited by TTQ B4U

The idea is sound, but unfortunately i think they're over-estimating people's ability/willingness to use it.

Next time I'm at C&C with the Fusion, I'll let you check it out. Trust me, I use it every single time I back up. I still look both directions down the street when backing out of the driveway for distance and peace of mind, but the camera is way better.

Anyone that doesn't believe in the cameras and has access to one I can show you with a real simple test like we used at work how great they are. The Odyssey is putting them in the mirror like shown above unless you get the navigation package then they do it in the dash. I assume most companies will do this. As for the back-up alarms, children and inanimate objects often will not respond to these. I cannot tell you how many times during our research we had soccer moms jump in their vehicle hit the garage door button and start backing up. Half open doors, bikes, weed whackers, trash cans, you name it we saw it get hit. Then we also so the ones who stopped just short as it popped into view on camera. I think for the general public these are going to save lots of money. How many times have you heard of or been the victim of someone backing into a parking spot and hitting another car? This will help that too.

Next time I'm at C&C with the Fusion, I'll let you check it out. Trust me, I use it every single time I back up. I still look both directions down the street when backing out of the driveway for distance and peace of mind, but the camera is way better.

To clarify, I'm not trying to discount the systems themselves at all. My wife's TL has a backup camera that works with her Navi screen and it's great.

What I was trying to say, though, is that we all know that the general motoring public is not always bright enough to use the tools at their disposal, so I wouldn't think this tool would be much different. It will help at first...but eventually people will just either ignore it or find another way to horribly run over shit. I see this happening more in the lower end cars which get less expensive and effective systems.

Anyone that doesn't believe in the cameras and has access to one I can show you with a real simple test like we used at work how great they are. The Odyssey is putting them in the mirror like shown above unless you get the navigation package then they do it in the dash. I assume most companies will do this. As for the back-up alarms, children and inanimate objects often will not respond to these. I cannot tell you how many times during our research we had soccer moms jump in their vehicle hit the garage door button and start backing up. Half open doors, bikes, weed whackers, trash cans, you name it we saw it get hit. Then we also so the ones who stopped just short as it popped into view on camera. I think for the general public these are going to save lots of money. How many times have you heard of or been the victim of someone backing into a parking spot and hitting another car? This will help that too.

Yeah, My 2010 Equinox has the LCD screen in the mirror (if you don't have NAV) and I think it's pretty decent. The problem with ultrasonic park sensors is they beep for EVERYTHING, so you tend to start ignoring it. They beep for curbs, parking blocks, the garage door opening/wall, as well as objects you care about.

Tim, the Fusion definitely has a nice set up. A lot of the Chrysler's I used to drive had similar systems and I thought they were great. The one thing I like about the new Ford's (Edge and Explorer, at least) is they have a digital zoom function that makes it even easier to hook up a trailer.

Have any of you seen a 360 degree "surround view" system? Pretty amazing technology, if you ask me.

Have any of you seen a 360 degree "surround view" system? Pretty amazing technology, if you ask me.

Haven't seen it in person but my brother in law just bought a new Infiniti SUV...the big sucker...he loves it.

The coolest camera system I've seen is on our neighbors extended length full size conversion van. They have a huge 9" in dash screen that shows either multiple cameras in split view....great for parallel parking a HUGE van. Or you can see both side view cameras for blind spots. Sorta like driving a semi in computer simulation mode :)

I'm not going to argue that using a back-up camera/ back-up sensors isn't a good thing from a safty standpoint, but requiring more and more shit to be put in new cars is ridiculous. If somebody backs over my kid it's their fault period. If you can't see out of your big stupid SUV/Crossover/whatever I don't care should've got out and looked or bought your own camera, not made everyone get them.

I hate politically correct bullshit, we can't have double standards for the idiots, so lets make everyone pay more and have it because we can't single out any groups. Like the group of morons who have no bussiness being on the road in the first place.

I'm not going to argue that using a back-up camera/ back-up sensors isn't a good thing from a safty standpoint, but requiring more and more shit to be put in new cars is ridiculous. If somebody backs over my kid it's their fault period. If you can't see out of your big stupid SUV/Crossover/whatever I don't care should've got out and looked or bought your own camera, not made everyone get them.

I hate politically correct bullshit, we can't have double standards for the idiots, so lets make everyone pay more and have it because we can't single out any groups. Like the group of morons who have no bussiness being on the road in the first place.

And I would have loved to seen you do this test at work. I bet you would have creamed the dummy too.

And I would have loved to seen you do this test at work. I bet you would have creamed the dummy too.

So what? The only time I've ever backed into anything I was pissed off and in a hurry, wouldn't anything have prevented that accident but my temper.