Abandoned On Everest. Very interesting read

Benner

It just blows my mind that there's 150 bodies up there that you can walk by and see. But understandable that your lifes not worth it just to recover a body

When hiking up in Oregon back in 2000 our guide pointed out areas in the mountains where bodies were known to be. Our hike wasn't so extreme, but he said that the cold dry climate has preserved them pretty well. I never really doubted him, but now I know he wasn't bullshitting.

No, but at the same time they did leave someone up there to die who could have survived had they said fuck getting to the top and went back down with him. The callousness they displayed was just mortifying to hear about. But, after seeing how people on here have responded to certain folks cries for help or please of need I'm not surprised, just saddened.

Leconte-lodge.com

That's as far as I'll go.

Mine was 8,300+ feet when at Crater Lake. Beautiful place open for only a short time throughout the year. Mountain biking up there was phenomenal.

"The highest point in Crater Lake National Park is Mt. Scott at 8,929 feet (2,722 m). Getting there requires a fairly steep 2.5-mile (4.0 km) hike from the Rim Drive trailhead. On a clear day visibility from the summit exceeds 100 miles (160 km), and one can, in a single view, take in the entire caldera."

Mine was 8,300+ feet when at Crater Lake. Beautiful place open for only a short time throughout the year. Mountain biking up there was phenomenal.

"The highest point in Crater Lake National Park is Mt. Scott at 8,929 feet (2,722 m). Getting there requires a fairly steep 2.5-mile (4.0 km) hike from the Rim Drive trailhead. On a clear day visibility from the summit exceeds 100 miles (160 km), and one can, in a single view, take in the entire caldera."

I guess I should rephrase. I'm not afraid of the height, nor the summit, so much as my personal goals. Everest does not interest me. If I were out and someone I met said, "I climbed Mt. Everest" they'd get a 'cool starry bra.'

Leconte Lodge is my personal....I dunno..."reward"? I started this year at 421 pounds. I want to join the military and promised myself I'd climb a mountain in 2011. I started losing weight in march and so far I'm down to 333.8 pounds as of this morning.

Mt. Everest isn't even appealing to me. Climbing to Leconte to prove to myself I can lose the additional weight I need to is.

I guess I should rephrase. I'm not afraid of the height, nor the summit, so much as my personal goals. Everest does not interest me. If I were out and someone I met said, "I climbed Mt. Everest" they'd get a 'cool starry bra.'

Leconte Lodge is my personal....I dunno..."reward"? I started this year at 421 pounds. I want to join the military and promised myself I'd climb a mountain in 2011. I started losing weight in march and so far I'm down to 333.8 pounds as of this morning.

Mt. Everest isn't even appealing to me. Climbing to Leconte to prove to myself I can lose the additional weight I need to is.

Gotcha. Good luck and congrats at the same time. I need to get my ass back on a mountain bike and head up there too.

Gotcha. Good luck and congrats at the same time. I need to get my ass back on a mountain bike and head up there too.

LOL. I can't bike. I'm hiking. But hey, 6 miles up a mountain 1 year after weighing more than...

http://www.mp3lyrics.org/b/big-black/big-black_1.Jpg

?

Yeah...I'll take it. :)

Thanks BTW.

Congrats Yenner. I finally got around to joining a gym. Planning on 4 times a week minimum. Did 2 hours today alternating treadmill and Bike keeping my heart rate at 150 minimum almost the whole time. Can't really do some of the high impact stuff cause of my ankle but once I get some weight off I'm hoping I can since it won't take as much abuse from having 320lbs on it.

Congrats Yenner. I finally got around to joining a gym. Planning on 4 times a week minimum. Did 2 hours today alternating treadmill and Bike keeping my heart rate at 150 minimum almost the whole time. Can't really do some of the high impact stuff cause of my ankle but once I get some weight off I'm hoping I can since it won't take as much abuse from having 320lbs on it.

Something I finally pushed through was my mental roadblock. My ankle was thrashed in a car wreck when I was 12. Knee too. I kept telling myself THAT's why I couldn't run at 350, let alone 421. I'm 333 and run. It's not that your ankle won't or that "I need to weight this much to be able to run." It's about getting your body to that point. If weight were the issue I wouldn't be able to run. You're at 320, I'm at 333. I've been working towards running since 421. You'll get there.

fuck climbing tall cold shit

Don't know why, but you sir made me LOL there. +rep I must be tired.

A couple of things:

First off, Mt Everests North Col route is not Mountaineering anymore. You might call it “Everesteering”, because nothing like it exists anywhere else in the world. You have a combination of:

-Tourist industry. Fixed ropes, guide services, fees and permits, high traffic, and inexperienced climbers convinced by salesmen that they can write a check and get a positive result.

-Excessively violent and deadly environment, in which you are lucky to leave unscathed. That is not an exaggeration, literally no one goes up there with coming back with some sort of injury or health condition. Every moment over 8000m kills brain cells.

It’s an F1 race, in which the pace car has the expert driver, and the F1 cars are driven by people with only carting experience WHO DON’T KNOW EACHOTHER. It’s utterly ridiculous, and what you see on Everest is not something you see on other mountains.

In the world of experienced mountaineering, you don’t climb in a tour group full of strangers, you do it with trusted individuals who are your friends. You monitor each other’s health, and you give help when help is needed. No one with a pulse is simply left to die, unless assistance puts the entire group at risk. No one forsakes a comrade for a summit push.

Bodies are left. You problems are over, no sense risking your mates to get your corpse back. I personally don’t care if they eat me. Most recovered bodies aren’t identifiable anyways.

In the story you just read, the man that died was passed by 40 people who carried with them his salvation; food bottled oxygen. All the guy needed was some oxygen to get his brain working and his body moving. No one carried extra oxygen, giving him some meant that they would have to give up their summit push.

-“He’s just resting and he’ll be fine”

-“He’s dead, his problems are over”

-“I need this stuff to do what I came here to do, I’m just a tourist, I don’t know how to help, I do only what my guide tells me, someone else will get him” (guides will never have a group help anyone, too risky, they’ll be sued).

-“I’ll help him on my way back down, if he’s still there.” And when they do come down, they have no energy, no food, and no oxygen. They are totally inept and barely alive themselves.

On any other mountain it goes like this; “Hey Bill, you OK? Any O2 left? Have a puff and a drink, let’s get back down to camp. I don’t want to have to explain this to your wife/kids.” Climbing in a group, he never would have gotten into a position to die alone, his group would/should turn him around and get him to safety while he could still walk. He was a soloist, however, so he took on a much higher level of risk in his attempt. But still, some one would have stopped, asked him what was wrong, and determined what help was needed. When everything is tourists and guides, no help is given because it puts your group, your bread’n’butter, at risk.

If you’re a guide and you lose a tourist to altitude sickness, a fall, to frostbite, you’re fine. That was in the brochure and in the waiver, you won’t be sued. If you have your group stop to help someone, and someone dies or is injured, it’s your ass. Even if no one is hurt, you just spent your clients only attempt at the summit (what they paid for) to save a stranger. That’s bad for business.

That is what’s wrong with Everest; it’s a business, not mounaiteering. If you want to be treated like a human being, climb with freinds and climb elsewhere.

Edited by Science Abuse

PS guys, you live in the States, there's no excuse for never going above 6500 feet. Go out to colorado, there are paved roads up to 12,500. ;)

My son hiked up a 9,200 ft mountian when he was 3 years old (and climbed the last 30ft). Started at 7000ft and did it all without being carried, very proud.

PS guys, you live in the States, there's no excuse for never going above 6500 feet. Go out to colorado, there are paved roads up to 12,500. ;)

My son hiked up a 9,200 ft mountian when he was 3 years old (and climbed the last 30ft). Started at 7000ft and did it all without being carried, very proud.

pikes peak ftw!

Theres one road that goes almost to 14k on Mount Evans in Colorado. I was there a couple months ago, Ill have to post some pictures later.

Theres one road that goes almost to 14k on Mount Evans in Colorado. I was there a couple months ago, Ill have to post some pictures later.

I said paved. ;) Very familiar with the alpine tracts, but I was catering to pussies. Trail Ridge Road is a blast if you've got boost and brakes.

http://mybozarth.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/rocky_mountain_trail_ridge.jpg

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/scenic-drive-in-colorado-trail-ridge-road-beaver-meadow-road-ga-2.jpg