Looking to buy..

Danielle

Finn M.39 or M.28 are still a Mosin-Nagant...and ARE accurate as fuck. Simo Hayha thinks so, at any rate...:bangbang:

Avenger is right.

I've never had the chance to shoot an M28, but I have a Finnish M39 and a Finnish M91/30 that are FANTASTIC shooters. Accurate by anyone's standards.

The Finnish rifles began life as Russian Mosin Nagant rifles, but with new barrels, better triggers, improved iron sights, and carefully fitted stocks they shoot way better than the average Russian examples.

Finnish M91/30 top, M39 bottom...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k239/jjjxlr8/Finnish%20M91_30/IMG_1443.jpg

I love my Finn...it's the tiniest hair less accurate than my Swiss K.31, and almost as good as my buddies National Match 1903...MOA all day, probably sub- if I really put the effort into working up a dead-perfect load instead of my current 97%ers.

I've got a '42 Izhevsk 91/30 that'll throw 2.5inch groups at 100 yards all day with Czech silvertip ammo and the bayonet mounted. It's a total run-of-the-mill counter-bored refurb. But if I feed it anything else, the groups open up a BUNCH...It's nothing remarkable for accuracy, but they weren't INTENDED to be match rifles. Try some of each kind of surplus ammo, and find what works best for your particular rifle.

Slug the barrel, work up a good load for it, and watch your groups tighten up. Heck, just going from the cheap surplus ammo to good commercial stuff will do a lot.

The 70's and 80's Russian surplus is nice and clean but not so accurate. 80's Bulgarian is pretty good but the 60's Czech Silver tipped ammo that Avenger is talking about seems to be the best shooting surplus 7.62x54r ammo you can get. It's extremely consistent for some reason. The 80's Czech ammo is very similar, too, and has copper washed cases instead of lacquer which can be problematic if your chamber isn't spotless.

The only surplus ammo in this caliber that performs better than the 60's Czech is the Russian 7N1 sniper ammo from 1997. Unfortunately, it's way too expensive to shoot anymore.

• 2 weeks later...