new dog

xlr8tn

• 2 weeks later...

keg barrel ordered :D It holds a liter. Might be a touch big for him at the moment but it won't take him long to grow into it. He's already at 50+lbs at 11.5 weeks.

He's doing great overall. I put a bell around the door knob and he's ringing it to go outside so that's a major hurdle crossed. Had a bunch of people over earlier in the week and he did great with them and their kids. After about 10 minutes he acted like they were part of the family.

You should continue to post pictures.

I will....I'll definitely get one with the keg barrel on him. :D I need to get another one to carry around a Liter of coke so I can have jim beam and coke just a whistle away. :D I'm now wondering that if I have him carrying around a liter of bourbon if that'd be considered an open container when he's in my truck. I bet it is. If I can ever find a cheap cap for the truck though he'll be in the back so that'd be legal. Not sure if a police officer would ask if there was whiskey in it but I know if I saw a St Benard with a barrel around it's neck the question would be on my mind. :D

Got the barrel in the mail while ago. Strap is a little too big for him but he'll grow into it in no time. It swings too much when he walks so we'll have to let him grow into it a little more before he can really wear it around. This was a quick cell phone pic. I'll have to get the regular camera out and get a better pic. Hard to keep him still too so it blurred some.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj37/0rion_album/chunkbarrel2.jpg

edit: took a little better picture....still with the phone though

• 4 weeks later...

got a harness for him and we pulled a hickory log up that I use for smoking. He's still too young and this was too much for him. I helped him out with it and then put it on a wagon to make it easier. Definitely going to start with something much lighter. He could move it but gave up pretty quick. Just wanted to get him used to the harness and pulling things a little. Did some reading on pulling and I'll need to start way smaller and it'll take some time. I just need him ready by next fall so he can pull out my deer when I shoot one. :D

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj37/0rion_album/harnesspull3.jpg

• 4 months later...

just an update picture. Had him at the vet a month or so ago......101lbs. That was at 8 months I believe. Truly a bad ass dog. I'm a huge fan of the breed now. He's been such a great dog for the kids to have around and he's extremely laid back and mellow. He will bark if someone knocks on the door kinda thing but other than that he's very non-aggressive which is exactly what I wanted. Our last dog was a great guard dog but that's about all he was good for. You couldn't do anything with him or take him anywhere because he was nasty.

This big guy here I can and do take everywhere with me. He's just big so that has to be taken into consideration. Last month we went out to PA camping. I bought a big ass cage and put him in the nose of the 5er to ride out there. I stopped halfway and got him out and let him walk around, get something to drink, and use the bathroom. When we get to the camp site out there I open the door and he's standing there looking at me. He ripped the entire door off the cage. haha He didn't tear the camper up or anything....just wanted out of the cage. He rode in the truck on the way home and we put 1 of the kids up front with the wife and I. That's how we'll do it from now on most likely.

Few days ago a cat came into the yard. We have a cat so he's not cat aggressive but likes to play. He started chasing after it to play. Cat on the other hand took off and when Chunk went to turn to chase after it he started stumbling (still pretty clumbsy) and fell into a section of fence and knocked the whole damn fence down. haha

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj37/0rion_album/Photo0860.jpg

Damn he looks thin. Do you ever feed him?

he's just young still and not filled out. Give it time....he'll fill out in a couple months or so. He eats 3 times a day and usually will leave some in the bowl each time so he's getting enough to eat. I'm also partial to having him a little under weight vs over weight. The extra weight really hurts these dogs hips and joints. I've did a lot of reading about the breed in general and I'm trying to avoid a few things that are diet related. Bloat is another big one you have to watch for.

Damn he looks thin. Do you ever feed him?

A lot of larger breeds don't fill out significantly until they get to ~2 years. Their frame has to be fully developed first.

he's just young still and not filled out. Give it time....he'll fill out in a couple months or so. He eats 3 times a day and usually will leave some in the bowl each time so he's getting enough to eat. I'm also partial to having him a little under weight vs over weight. The extra weight really hurts these dogs hips and joints. I've did a lot of reading about the breed in general and I'm trying to avoid a few things that are diet related. Bloat is another big one you have to watch for.

Watch his eating speed and try giving him a raised bowl. Those will both cut down on the possibility of bloat.

Watch his eating speed and try giving him a raised bowl. Those will both cut down on the possibility of bloat.

you want a non-elevated food bowl(http://www.pets1st.com/articles/00043bloatindogs.asp). He doesn't really eat that fast but he can pound some frigin water. This dog drinks more water at a time than I've ever seen in my life. He's still a little young for that to be a huge concern but at some point I'll have to start watching how much water he drinks around eating time.

you want a non-elevated food bowl(http://www.pets1st.com/articles/00043bloatindogs.asp). He doesn't really eat that fast but he can pound some frigin water. This dog drinks more water at a time than I've ever seen in my life. He's still a little young for that to be a huge concern but at some point I'll have to start watching how much water he drinks around eating time.

Hmm, not happy with my old vet now. He was the one who told us to get a raised bowl for my mom's old Golden mix. I'm glad we don't go to that guy with our dogs now. Good info.

Hmm, not happy with my old vet now. He was the one who told us to get a raised bowl for my mom's old Golden mix. Good info.

I think the elevated bowl thing used to be what people thought and has since been changed so probably at the time that was the accepted thing to do.

I think the elevated bowl thing used to be what people thought and has since been changed so probably at the time that was the accepted thing to do.

Yep, raised bowls don't jive with the natural, head to the ground functionality of their digestive system. This is the currently accepted method of slowing down your dog's eating:

http://www.danlockton.co.uk/research/images/brake-fast.jpg

http://www.bestbullysticks.com/home/bbs/page_5563_58/large_brake_fast_bowl_plastic.html

Just a bowl with "obstacles" in it lol, we have one for our dog.

Yep, raised bowls don't jive with the natural, head to the ground functionality of their digestive system. This is the currently accepted method of slowing down your dog's eating:

http://www.danlockton.co.uk/research/images/brake-fast.jpg

http://www.bestbullysticks.com/home/bbs/page_5563_58/large_brake_fast_bowl_plastic.html

Just a bowl with "obstacles" in it lol, we have one for our dog.

Hmm, sweet. I might have to get my pup one of these. She absolutely INHALES her food, I swear she doesn't even chew. Just licks it up and swallows.

Our dog did that for a while, but it just took a few days of droping a few bits of food in the bowl at a time. He came from a house where 2 other dogs where getting food at the same time. So now that he is the only dog he is slow and sometimes doesn't eat the morning meal if not very active that day before.

Our dog did that for a while, but it just took a few days of droping a few bits of food in the bowl at a time. He came from a house where 2 other dogs where getting food at the same time. So now that he is the only dog he is slow and sometimes doesn't eat the morning meal if not very active that day before.

that's kinda how mine is.....he gets fed a few times a day but a lot of times he'll let food sit in his bowl for hours before finally getting to it. He just eats when he's hungry. Another thing I'm doing differently with him that I haven't with past dogs is a "no people food" rule. In the past I always hooked my dogs up with a little something here and there. With this guy I have never given him people food and make sure to tell people when they're over that he doesn't eat people food. Not only for weight and health reasons but he's big enough where the only safe place in the house to put bread/chips and stuff is on top of the fridge. :D I don't want him on the lookout for food left laying around. He's excellent about that too. He can easily eat directly off the table if he wanted too but never even attempts it.