Best under $100 video card?

Nitrousbird

I normally don't game, so I've never upgraded my video cards. Right now, I am sporting two XFX 7600 GT XXX Edition cards. I run 4 monitors, so I can't SLI them - not that it really helps anyway.

I would like to upgrade one to a sub $100 card, so I can play a couple games that might interest me. Again, I'm not a gamer, so I don't need some crazy card. Prefer Nvidia, since my other card is also a Nvidia. Also must have dual DVI outputs.

Suggestions? I am also okay with a single quad DVI output card, but I'm sure that is a budget breaker. I haven't looked much into video cards for a few years, so I'm not up on what is cool/not cool anymore.

System is a Asus P6T, i7 920 @ 4.2 GHz, 6 GB ram, four 22" LCD's, etc.

I bought a 1gb geforce 9800gt for like $110 new. It's older but still popular as a good bang for your buck card.. runs everything on at least medium settings.

good card will play pretty much any game out there right now on mid settings.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130522

he wants dual dvi..

I bought a 1gb geforce 9800gt for like $110 new. It's older but still popular as a good bang for your buck card.. runs everything on at least medium settings.

he wants dual dvi..

missed that part. yeah next option would be the 9800 gt. Honestly thats what I was looking for first when I ran across the 220.

My power supply still has enough overhead to run a single decent card + my other 7600 + all my other stuff.

DVI + HDMI is okay, as I'll simply use a HDMI to DVI cable. No biggie there.

I've found the EVGA 220 for $65 shipped new, and even less used, so that is well within my budget.

Radeon 5670 or 4870

You'll also need at least a 600W power supply if you don't have one already. I assume you do since you've got a nice i7 setup.

Not really. I ran a single 4870 on a Q6600 (consumes more power than an i7 I think) along with tons of drives on a 500watt powersupply for two years. I crossfired them and now have a 620w antec. My system is only pulling 450 watts from the wall at full load. Take into account the ~80% efficiency of my power supply now and thats roughly 360w being drawn by the system.

Video card power draw is drastically overstated to prevent people from using shitty chinabay 400watt supplies.

So I just ordered the card from the Slick Deals link.

My wife told me I would just kick myself for passing up that deal...that sealed it for me. :) Under $100 for a GTX 460 - there is no where else to find a deal nearly that good. Should be plenty overkill for my needs. :)

So I just ordered the card from the Slick Deals link.

My wife told me I would just kick myself for passing up that deal...that sealed it for me. :) Under $100 for a GTX 460 - there is no where else to find a deal nearly that good. Should be plenty overkill for my needs. :)

Nice ! I am actually surprised it's still active. You never know when those deals are gonna expire.

• 2 weeks later...

My card just arrived and is working well.

Just to test it out, started playing a bit of Crysis. 1680x1050, 16x antialiasing, all settings set to high, and it seems to be running very smooth. Bumped it up to Very High for everything...then we got some stuttering. I didn't mess with settings/checking frame rates beyond that, but obviously this card isn't going to run Crysis maxed out (not that I expected it to).

Also won a second card on E-bay to replace my other 7600GT - a GT 240 I got for $43 shipped. It is the top-end GT 240 model with the GDDR5 memory. Should work fine, and not consume much more power than the 7600 it replaces, which is a plus since I am really pushing my PSU to its limit (580 watt pushing these two video cards, overclocked i7, Blu-ray burner and 2 DVD burners, 6 hard driver, PCI 1x card, and a few other small goodies). Hopefully it can handle it - so far, so good.