05' Grand Prix GTP: Issues or Problems?

Scotty2Hotty

So the girlfriend down in Dallas just picked up a 2005 Grand Prix GTP. She needed something just to hold her for about 2 years. With that said it currently has 80K on the clock and from what she told me it's pretty loaded. So my question is, is there anything to keep an eye on and replace here before she clocks 100K? Anything I should do right off the bat IE: Plugs, wires, intake, fluids flush and filters? I was pretty stoked she got a GTP for what she got it for, not to mention it opens the mod gate if she decides to keep it for a while. I'll finally see it next week, so I figure some of her Christmas present can be the basics and a tune up while I'm there.

The motors in these cars are very tough and rarely need anything outside of regular stuff like oil changes. Although im not sure if the newer body styles were included, but i know the previous ones did have an issue with one of the rear gaskets going bad and fluids would drip on the exaust manifold and catch fire.

Is it stock? Has it always been? Tranny is weak sauce. Never had mine go out, but it's very common. My 06 GXP was just barely starting to slip and it had less than 20k on the ODO. Tons of them are failing. I had a 97 and 99 too. Grandprix.net. Been on their since pretty much the onset of the board. Mike ran a great board, but it's gone way, way downhill over the years. If you took all the people that have been banned here and put them on one forum, you'd have that one.

From what I know it's 100% stock and always has been. Only thing I thought about was an intake, replacing the belts, and doing a tune up. Tim, is it a good idea to flush the tranny on a normal basis or are the tranny issues almost inevitable?

The tranny issues aren't due to maintenance. It's just the newer 260hp and 303hp motors were too much for them.

I would definitely recommend her to have the fluids changed out. Especially since it was likely one of the models where GM was touting 100k lifespans for coolant. That Red Stuff was crap. I have pics of the sludge in my GXP. Yes....was turning to sludge with very little mileage on it. Tobin flushed and refilled mine when they replaced the water pump that failed at 14k. :(

My 99 ran flawless for over 75k but I tackled any tranny issues right from the get go as I modded heavily and beefed up the tranny just so I wouldn't have problems. As noted above though, the motors are bulletproof.

Just had her make an appointment to get the fluids done in the tranny. She said it had the competition package on it, and she was wondering what the paddles behind the wheel were. As I assumed it was Pontiac's attempt at a paddle shifter?

Paddle shift was cool. On a four speed though :rolleyes: Makes for easy second gear starts in snow / ice. I also like holding first a little longer but not to red line. Tranny system will learn that style over time and you can stop doing it manually. Pretty cool.

If you don't mod the car and keep up on regular maintenance, the trans could very well last 150k miles, but it varies. I'd recommend changing the supercharger oil at 100k

Almost forgot about the blower. I think all I'll really do is slap an intake on it and that's it. She was planning this to be a car she'd keep for 2 years, so I thought it was perfect for her and in the price range she had too. Is the blower oil a dealer only kinda thing, or can I contact Eaton?

You can get the oil from a dealer but they actually consider it a not serviceable part so most will not have it in stock. You can get it from zzperformance.com for a decent price. You may check to see if ips can get it as well.

My 97 GTP has 201k miles on it now. I have only ever changed the tranny fluid on it twice. Runs like a champ. Has a few bolt-ons and has went a best of 14.50@97. Only major thing I have ever had to do (Knock on wood) is replace the alternator. Mine has been a tank.

any gm dealer will stock that blower oil all you need to do is top it off as the blower consumes a little over time....

if you do decide to actually suck out the old fluid you'll need a turkey baster I also highly recomend gloves and clothes you don't care about in case it spills. that supercharger oil is foulest smelling automotive fluid I've ever used.

I know you can get the sc oil at the dealer, it's also $10 from intense. I'm not sure which is cheaper. It's really easy to change with the pump thing from a shampoo bottle. And again, trannys are not good, at least in 97-03 i had mine rebuilt shortly after i bought the car then had to replace more gaskets in it after that because it wouldn't really go in reverse.