Gas hot water heater replacement.

TimTaylor751647545500

they are easy to do. the old tank will be heavy even after you drain it because of sediment in the tank.

don't check for a gas leak with a match though. they make a bubble solution to check.

also if you don't have the water lines that unscrew you can get slip connections that don't need soldered on.

they are easy to do. the old tank will be heavy even after you drain it because of sediment in the tank.

don't check for a gas leak with a match though. they make a bubble solution to check.

also if you don't have the water lines that unscrew you can get slip connections that don't need soldered on.

yeah the slip on connections are great. I changed one out at the in-laws. was very easy to do.

I did it on my Reynoldsburg property a couple years ago. Things to note:

- Make your life easier and buy an identical sized model - this way everything will line up nicely.

- Have two to three of you total to move the old tank out - it is heavy, akward, and may leak onto things you don't want

- Save yourself a trip - buy new lines if they are screw on, and anything else that looks easy to replace. You likely have some corroded BS that is easier to replace than deal with.

- Be patient with lighting it, as they are sometimes a pain in the ass when brand new.

This is a DIY job for sure, so don't waste your money paying someone else to do it.

We have a tankless. It is in our basement and in some areas of the house we have to leave the hot water running for a while before we get any. If the house was designed for tankless, i.e., if the unit is near the areas needeing water, then it would be perfect. But that's my only complaint. :)

I have a tankless. I'll never have a tank again. I love it.

x2 We had company for the holidays and my brother in law just this morning asked about it as every one of us took a shower back to back to back and never ran out of piping hot water :cool: Big energy saver over the course of time too.

condensed is better than tankless. Tankless will not give you hot water when the power goes out unless you have a generator. condensed you will have a supply of hot water atleast. Pros of tankless- easy to install wont run out of hot water. Cost is reasonable. condensed cons - expensive.

We have a tankless. It is in our basement and in some areas of the house we have to leave the hot water running for a while before we get any. If the house was designed for tankless, i.e., if the unit is near the areas needeing water, then it would be perfect. But that's my only complaint. :)

I have a 1200 sq ft house, and Bosch tankless. The hot water line running from water box to faucet in bathroom runs down into crawl space then up into bathroom. The "mud room" that has the heater shares a wall with the bathroom. I have to turn hot water on when I go into bathroom to go piss, then go lather hands and by then it will just be getting warm.

I HATE my tankless.

I have a 1200 sq ft house, and Bosch tankless. The hot water line running from water box to faucet in bathroom runs down into crawl space then up into bathroom. The "mud room" that has the heater shares a wall with the bathroom. I have to turn hot water on when I go into bathroom to go piss, then go lather hands and by then it will just be getting warm.

I HATE my tankless.

How would a regular tank change the layout of your plumbing which sounds to me like the issue. :confused: We have nearly 3,000 sq ft and water from the lower level runs to the upstairs master bath and is fine. No different than having to wait for a regular tank to stream the same distance.

How would a regular tank change the layout of your plumbing which sounds to me like the issue. :confused: We have nearly 3,000 sq ft and water from the lower level runs to the upstairs master bath and is fine. No different than having to wait for a regular tank to stream the same distance.

Because when I turn on the faucet the heater senses that the hot water is on and turns on burners then the water inside has to heat up. As opposed to it always being heated in a tank heater. My lines that are in the crawlspace are insulated with the foam tube stuff.

Ideally they would have a small couple gallon tank with these "tankless" heaters so it wouldn't cost as much to heat 20+ gallons but would be able to heat water instantly. Bam! Hot water, faster.

Also the new layout of water lines is all run to one place no splits. there is then a manifold that regulates the amount of water so each line has the same amount of pressure.

whereas most have have T's and 3 ways and reduced lines all over the place. plus shorter runs so some will receive water faster than others.

Because when I turn on the faucet the heater senses that the hot water is on and turns on burners then the water inside has to heat up. As opposed to it always being heated in a tank heater. My lines that are in the crawlspace are insulated with the foam tube stuff.

I'm not sure you'd be any better off with a standard tank. The lines between your unit and the end faucet cool off between uses. The water from a tankless unit is just as hot when it leaves as water from a tank, and only takes a couple of seconds to kick in. The distance to travel is the same.

My current house is much larger than my last one, and hot water gets to the farthest point in this house about the same as from the tank in the smaller house.

I'm not sure you'd be any better off with a standard tank. The lines between your unit and the end faucet cool off between uses. The water from a tankless unit is just as hot when it leaves as water from a tank, and only takes a couple of seconds to kick in. The distance to travel is the same.

My current house is much larger than my last one, and hot water gets to the farthest point in this house about the same as from the tank in the smaller house.

exactly the point I was trying to make.

Because when I turn on the faucet the heater senses that the hot water is on and turns on burners then the water inside has to heat up. As opposed to it always being heated in a tank heater.

That's exactly the idea though. Why pay to heat a tank of any size when it's just sitting there?

My lines that are in the crawlspace are insulated with the foam tube stuff.

I have most all of my lines insulated too. I have a full basement though.

Ideally they would have a small couple gallon tank with these "tankless" heaters so it wouldn't cost as much to heat 20+ gallons but would be able to heat water instantly. Bam! Hot water, faster.

Again, not sure I follow or vise-versa. Hot water on demand will always be cheaper than having a tank in need of continuous heating. Even our boiler system (secondary heating system) that I have in our top level is driven by an instant tank. We used to have (2) 40 Gal Tanks and now we simply use two tankless units.

I understand what you're saying. I think it's part of the way the house is plumbed, but I'm confident that if I had an old school water heated I would have hot water faster to the faucet. Maybe it's a volume/flow issue as my water pressure is fairly low. :confused: