Where to get away for a few days? Within reason

Buck531

The wife and I have done hocking hills for the past million years for a weekend get away. I'm thinking something different. Probably within a 5-6 hour drive of here. Something around $100-$150 a night and is fun. Well, not so much fun as it is to get away from the kids.

Anything cool down in Kentucky? Indiana, WV? I wouldn't mind a cabin in the woods in the middle of nowhere with a hot tub or what not. Something other then Hocking Hills. Anyone have any suggestions?

Well driving isn't really an issue. After driving 2250 miles from California to Ohio nothing seems long at all. I'm not really sure on what I want to do. I know I could drive to Myrtle Beach in 10-11 hours. Done that a few times. This will happen in the spring. The weather might not be the greatest.

Maybe a cabin the middle of BFE would be the best bet. I'm really not one for sight seeing and walking around all day looking at shit. My wife and I just like to sit and relax and chill for a few days. We're just tired of Hocking Hills.

there's a place called pleasant hill kentucky "shakertown" which is kind of cool... I don't really know what they do in the winter months but in the summer they always had things going on... I used to go there every year as a kid, but we went there a few years back and you could tell that it's not as visited anymore as much as it once was.

BTW, the food is awesome there and you can make the drive in about 4 hours.

I second the Smokey Mountains suggestion (Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, etc). I have been there many times and it has always been a great stay. It's one of my favorite places to go within what I consider to be easy driving distance (~8hrs or less).

It's a very touristy place, which I don't typically care for, but if you get a cabin you are off "the strip" and can just do your own thing until you decide you want to go into town. There are lots of things to do/see and plenty of decent restaurants.You can usually get a very nice cabin for $100-$150 in the off season. Best of all, if you're into that sort of thing, is that it's a short drive to the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. In the winter a lot of the roads are closed, but there are still usually lots of neat trails and such to check out.

I second the Smokey Mountains suggestion (Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, etc). I have been there many times and it has always been a great stay. It's one of my favorite places to go within what I consider to be easy driving distance (~8hrs or less).

It's a very touristy place, which I don't typically care for, but if you get a cabin you are off "the strip" and can just do your own thing until you decide you want to go into town. There are lots of things to do/see and plenty of decent restaurants.You can usually get a very nice cabin for $100-$150 in the off season. Best of all, if you're into that sort of thing, is that it's a short drive to the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. In the winter a lot of the roads are closed, but there are still usually lots of neat trails and such to check out.

I 3rd, or 4th, or whatever this.

Been countless times in warm weather and twice in January. I have a hard time telling people why the place is so great, but I keep going back.

We've been staying at various hot tub cabins off the main road in Gatlinburg, hang a left at the smaller split in the road on the main drag. Usually 8 people splitting a 4 br cabin makes it dirt cheap, plus there's instant drinking buddies. Tiny, 1br places are cheap now too.

We also went to a cabin at Burr Oak State Park a few years ago. Not bad, but not much to do in the Winter.

Niagara Falls?

Cabins are nice, if you wait until its warmer out there are plenty of scenic places in Pennsylvania. I've stayed at a privately owned cabin in Coudersport, PA several times, its a really nice area.

Otherwise, its 12 hours to the Outer Banks, totally worth it. I've been there the last two years.

http://www.lafayettehotel.com/

That's in Marietta, where I grew up. Two hours away, beautiful area. Not too expensive. While down there, take a trip on here:

http://www.valleygemsternwheeler.com/

I am another one voting for Great Smoky Mountains area if you enjoyed staying in the cabins at Hocking Hills. I normally go down a couple times a year there. I was just down there a couple weeks ago when a snow storm hit and it was a blast. No one is there this time of the year. Be careful of selecting a cabin to far out or on ski mountain. The roads can be fun this time of the year.

Snowshoe, WV is really fun. I don't know about prices/whether or not you're a skier, but even if your not there's a big village with plenty of places to hang around all day. Regardless of skiing interest, its always enjoyable to sit in the lodge with a hot cocoa and a flask of whiskey.

if you want a cabin try blackwater falls state park in wv. My wife and I go there at least once per year. I go for an astronomy convention in fall, but sometimes we go just to enjoy the middle of nowhere, wv. also The outter banks in nc is another place my wife and I go. You can rent a beach house 10 miles north of the end of NC st rt 12 requiring 4wd to get there and just hang out. We love it.

Floyd, VA very relaxed lots of wineries, meaderies (sp?), and an awesome place that makes cider (foggy ridge). Awesome organic homemade pizza joint, kinda weird that it has all of this cultural shit in the middle of nowhere