Pilots or people that know a pilot

wnaplay1647545503

Considering getting my pilots license and since I am also in need of a new career I was considering maybe this could be an option as well.

I have found several local places that offer flight training, and the basic certificates can be had for $5-10K. My question is how easy is it to get a pilot job, and whats the average salary? With the economy, are there 100's of unemployed pilots out there now?

I know the commercial certificates are alot more expensive but WC is paying for college and I really dont want to go back there for any kind of degree. I may be able to convince them to foot the bill for this instead.

Moms bf is a pilot, and he doesnt make squat. He flys commercial, was laid off a couple years ago and ended up taking a call center position at like under $10/hr...airline hired him back and she was just talking about them talking about layoffs again, but afaik, hes working now

I know a local MINI guy who is a pilot for something like Net Jets (might be them if theyre still here..i know they were talking about moving), and he seems to do decently.

Also seems like he can get called in in a moments notice, as he's had to take off from some of our Saturday breakfasts early for work. Ill have to ask him about it tomorrow at our monthly dinner if he's there.

I think the only way you should do a private is if its something you are really interested in doing for fun, or if you are in the military, as it helps your chances of being selected for a pilot slot and further training which is on their dime. (Which is what I may do)

Other than that, I would hold off because it'll be a bad way to blow some cash.

one of our good friends is a pilot, but we don't talk to him much about it...but he's always flying. he's a private pilot and makes crazy money...he's been a pilot for smuckers, some dog food company, etc...right now he flies for JEGS...

but he's been doing it for a long time and apparently he was a stunt pilot a long time ago, so he's got lots of experience...

but being a private pilot, he goes everywhere....he once got stuck in europe last spring because his employer got sick and was in the hospital and he had to stay there until he got better (which meant he missed track days he paid for!)

Don't bother going into commercial. My friend's got a degree from UND Aerospace program (best in country besides military AFAIK) and he can't get a job flying commercial. He's just been doing training since he graduated 3 years ago and he's been flying since he was 16.

If you don't fly military and have thousands of hours logged, or if you're not in your twenties and starting out, willing to do a decade of shit flying to log hours, you can forget a career in commercial aviation.

The guys at Net Jets (I know a few) are almost all ex-military with ALOT of hours logged. The commercial carriers won't even look at you until you're like 10years into it. The economy has grounded alot of pilots so the competition is rough.

Hell I walked out of the Navy with my license and 2000+ hours logged and I didn't even bother looking at the commercial field.

Too much climbing the ladder to make anything worth talking about. You'll be 50 before you see what I consider real money.

LOTS of other fields to make better money in.

The whole industry blows donkey dicks right now, with the exception of shipping (UPS/Fedex)

This x 1000!

Contrary to popular belief, the military is not the only way in and anymore is not even heavily weighted in interviews. However, the military is the cheapest way to becoming a commercial pilot. The civilian route can cost as much as 100k. Ever look into becoming a lawyer?

I've been doing it for 10 years and it most certainly does blow. Forget having a normal family life, gone on most holidays, wtf is a weekend? Not to mention 80% of us don't even live were we start our trips from. Instead of a 45 min commute to work in a car, try driving to the airport at the buttcrack of dawn, to catch a 1 hour flight to the hub where you start your trip. then wait there for the next 4 hours until you actually go on duty. Then flight around for the next 4 days spending every night in a shitty hotel. Only to get back to your base airport after the last flight home has already left. You then have to spend the night in a flop-house called a "crash-pad" that is on par with most crappy euro trash hostels. Get back up supper early and catch a flight home.

That's just the work part too. Imagine all the shit that you haven't got to do at home while you were gone for 5 days. Only to start all over again in 2 days.

It can be better, and usually with time it does sometimes get better.

I think if you can get a private for free, then do it. Flying is fun, until you make it a job.

This x 1000!

Contrary to popular belief, the military is not the only way in and anymore is not even heavily weighted in interviews. However, the military is the cheapest way to becoming a commercial pilot. The civilian route can cost as much as 100k. Ever look into becoming a lawyer?

I've been doing it for 10 years and it most certainly does blow. Forget having a normal family life, gone on most holidays, wtf is a weekend? Not to mention 80% of us don't even live were we start our trips from. Instead of a 45 min commute to work in a car, try driving to the airport at the buttcrack of dawn, to catch a 1 hour flight to the hub where you start your trip. then wait there for the next 4 hours until you actually go on duty. Then flight around for the next 4 days spending every night in a shitty hotel. Only to get back to your base airport after the last flight home has already left. You then have to spend the night in a flop-house called a "crash-pad" that is on par with most crappy euro trash hostels. Get back up supper early and catch a flight home.

That's just the work part too. Imagine all the shit that you haven't got to do at home while you were gone for 5 days. Only to start all over again in 2 days.

It can be better, and usually with time it does sometimes get better.

I think if you can get a private for free, then do it. Flying is fun, until you make it a job.

Quoted for truth. No to mention if you can find a job, it'll most likely be a first officer at regional making less than you would at Lowes, Wendy's, etc. As a maintenance inspector I don't deal with nearly as much as pilots do, but aviation in general blows right now. Unless you hate your family, want to work holidays, weekends and worry about losing your job constantly, I'd consider something else.

I am not as interested in making it a profession as much as I am wanting to get my pilots license for personal use. Anyone know a certified instructor that isnt affiliated with a training school?

Yes, he's actually here at work right now. I can try and track him down if you'd like.

I have been pricing out all of the local places that offer certification. Check with him and see what he may charge to get the basic certification and also if he does the instrument certification. I am hearing it takes roughly 50-70hrs of training to get these and would want to get it done at a steady pace since I am off on disability and have nothing but time. Pm me a price if he gives you one. Thanks

Diesel Pilot pretty much said it how it is. I graduated with a degree in aviation in '09 and I have been working construction the past 2 years while providing flight instruction on the side.

In '07 the industry moved the mandatory retirement age from 60 to 65, so it essentially created a 5 year lapse in hiring. In addition to this the recession hit and just recently there was a law passed that you must have 1500 hours and an ATP certificate to fly for a commercial airline.

There is a lot of speculation as to whether or not in 2012, when the lapse caused by the age 65 rule stops, there will be a big hiring boom like there was in '07. I think there probably will be, but I doubt there will be much room for new pilots to enter the industry. There are so many pilots without flying jobs right now that they will fill these openings.

I know a commercial pilot that lives in Lancaster, but commutes to Dallas for work. Another pilot I know lives in Logan and drives to Dayton 2 or 3 times a week to work for 2-3 days and comes back home for about a day, maybe 2 if he is lucky.

If you want to learn to fly for your own enjoyment then I say go for it. If you want to do it for a job someday I would think about something else. I instruct at both Fairfield County and Perry County airports. The 1997 Cessna 172 at Fairfield County is pretty nice and rents for $120 an hour. The 1965 Cessna 172 at Perry County is decent and rents for $95 an hour. Send me a message if you have an questions.

I went the military route, so far it's a blast, but I still have 3months left before I finish training and get into the real air force. I should have a about 200 hours after 1 year. I can get you info if you end up wanting to go that route

this is my sweet ride right now

http://tps06b.com/Photos/T-1sm.jpg