Buying a high-mpg car "worth it"?

nurkvinny

just get a ls1 camaro high 20s highway and enjoy having a vehicle that can actually spin a tire, actually pick up chicks, and actually be fun.

if gas prices were 5.00 a gal. still wont help to buy a car that gets 35mpg. ur spending more than ur saving. no new car is going to have a payment less than 3000 in a yr.

Nothin says "imma change your life girl" like a camaro

Sometimes I think that my wife's car isn't really necessary since it gets 12mph on average.

When I kicked it down on the freeway this morning and spun the tires @ 60mph it put a stupid little grin on my face and I remembered why the 12mph is worth it. We just enjoy the crap out of it.

must be a slow drive to work at 12mph

Get a Fusion Sport as a company car and give a rats ass what others have to pay for gas :p

Fusion Sport is a very fun car, but only acceptable in AWD form. That 3.5L makes way too much power for FWD only.

1) Buy oldskool VW Rabbit Diesel

2) get 60mpg

3) profit?

As the world is right now, its not worth it to pay more or buy a new car for the sake of saving gas money. Lincoln MKZ has taken the unprecedented step of offering the Hybrid version at the same MSRP as the gas version. However, 41mpg City is only worth it if you know how to drive a hybrid and only drive around the city, otherwise its just an underpowered, overweight MKZ.

I worked out some numbers for a customer who was comparing a Milan V6 to a Civic Hybrid (we matched the price at $21,000 after trade-in). She would've saved about $200 a year driving 10k miles by getting the Civic hybrid with its crappy 1.3L motor. She ended up buying the Milan because almost all her driving is highway miles, where the hybrid is pointless.

because almost all her driving is highway miles, where the hybrid is pointless.

That's what you'd think, given that the whole idea behind hybrids is to recapture energy while braking and then use it to get moving again, but all my best mpg comes from highway driving, including (when it works) the 62mpg in my sig image. On a trip to Cleveland about 3 years ago, I was even at 76mpg for a while (though I'm guessing I had a hell of a tail wind... the best I usually get on that trip is about 65).

o rly? first new car i bought in 2003 was a hyundai elantra. got ~28mpg city, 36+ on freeway, and my payment was $235.51/mo = $2826.12/yr

yea but this is a racing fourm and i know for a fact a elantra is boring. so for the lil bit worse mpg u could still have a fun car and not be out to much for fuel. if gas gets over 5.00 gal. maybe a car that gets 40mpg would be worth it but ur still paying a payment to get better gas mileage. that would only work if you bought used and cheap. then your doing maint to keep the car up.

what this really boils down to. is either buy what they want u to drive, or pay the lil extra at the pump and have fun with the car you actually want to drive.

i love driving my yukon and it gets 8mpg. but its supposed to be for towing my s10 and s10 blazer. and a winter vehicle. finally i got wheels for spring summer and fall. and i can keep the miles to just racing and winter!!!!!!!