Washington D.C. Trip.....

truckin

So my wife and I are planning to go to DC this summer for our 10yr anniversary, we've both been wanting to do this for over 5yrs now and things have always come up. But now were doing it.

The last time I've been to DC was when i was around 10 or 11 so 20+ yrs ago. Were planning on spending 3 days however were not sure what to hit forsure (must see and what we could skip). I know i want to see the Smithsonian, WWII Memorial, Arlington, Veitnam Memorial, Lincoln Memorial etc.

So those who've been there recently what do you recommend seeing or doing and can you recommend a nicer than average Hotel? Not looking for a $1K a night just not the Holiday Inn express if you know what i mean.

Any Help would be great! Thanks

The monuments are a no brainer, if you're into planes and such there is a shuttle from the Smithsonian to the air and space museum out near Dulles as well.

I live in the area and have basically my entire life. There is lots to do and all depends what you consider a fun time and time constraints.

Staying in DC is murder on price but staying in Arlington or Alexandria would be cheaper and metro stops are close so transportation isn't a huge deal, and honestly that is better than driving in the city.

Depending on the dates the hotels are not that bad in DC. I was there a few months back and we stayed at one of the Hyatt hotels. Pretty sure it was less than $100/night.

Here are a couple things I would recommend.

Washington Monument

White House tour

Crime and Punishment Museum

Holocaust Museum

Senate/House session & Cap. Building tour

Bureau printing and engraving was pretty neat

Fords Theater

Archives Museum

We were there 5-6 days and visited 2-4 things a day. Metro will make life a lot easier as well. If you’re interested in doing a tour of the White House make sure you submit your info a couple months ahead. I think you can do it up to 6 months in advance.

http://www.athenapallas.com/

This is an awesome Greek restaurant! The prices are very affordable considering the area ($9-$15). They have table clothes, cloth napkins, and a nice beer/wine selection. This is just a few blocks from the Crystal City metro stop.

I'm not a huge fan of Kebabs and Middle Eastern food. It is everywhere in D.C.

I used to stay in D.C. a few times a month. The way to go for transportation is the Metro. A day pass is $9 for an adult. The cost is well worth it.

I took my older son Carter to D.C. before preschool started this year. We only went for the day and spent maybe $75 total. We mostly bought gift shop stuff at the Smithsonian. He had a blast at the Smithsonian museum of Natural History (dinosaurs), Smithsonian museum of American History (worth checking out, lots of cool Americana, Car and motorcycle stuff), Smithsonian Air and Space Museum very, very cool. It was my third time checking out the Air and Space museum. I still saw new stuff in each one. I have yet to go to the International Spy Museum. I have heard that it is very cool. Dave and I did go to the Holocaust museum; it was much more than just WWII. Very sad, bring tissues. The Smithsonian Native American museum and Asian art museum are very cool

Dave and I went a few years prior to that for a weekend trip. We stayed at the Hilton near the Capital building. It was ok; I think it was $150 a night. Honestly, a hotel is a hotel to me. Different areas of D.C. are very sketchy. The Hilton that we stayed in was no different. There were a lot of homeless people that lived in the park across the street. Just try and watch the general area where you stay. No metro after dark. (It doesn't run very late any way) Get a Metro map; they are easy to figure out.

Edited by girlygirl18t
adding info

http://www.athenapallas.com/

This is an awesome Greek restaurant! The prices are very affordable considering the area ($9-$15). They have table clothes, cloth napkins, and a nice beer/wine selection. This is just a few blocks from the Crystal City metro stop.

I'm not a huge fan of Kebabs and Middle Eastern food. It is everywhere in D.C.

I used to stay in D.C. a few times a month. The way to go for transportation is the Metro. A day pass is $9 for an adult. The cost is well worth it.

I took my older son Carter to D.C. before preschool started this year. We only went for the day and spent maybe $75 total. We mostly bought gift shop stuff at the Smithsonian. He had a blast at the Smithsonian museum of Natural History (dinosaurs), Smithsonian museum of American History (worth checking out, lots of cool Americana, Car and motorcycle stuff), Smithsonian Air and Space Museum very, very cool. It was my third time checking out the Air and Space museum. I still saw new stuff in each one. I have yet to go to the International Spy Museum. I have heard that it is very cool. Dave and I did go to the Holocaust museum; it was much more than just WWII. Very sad, bring tissues. The Smithsonian Native American museum and Asian art museum are very cool

Dave and I went a few years prior to that for a weekend trip. We stayed at the Hilton near the Capital building. It was ok; I think it was $150 a night. Honestly, a hotel is a hotel to me. Different areas of D.C. are very sketchy. The Hilton that we stayed in was no different. There were a lot of homeless people that lived in the park across the street. Just try and watch the general area where you stay. No metro after dark. (It doesn't run very late any way) Get a Metro map; they are easy to figure out.

Curious why you say no metro after dark....it isn't bad and on weekdays runs until 11PM - Midnight which is ok for most people. On weekends it is a lot later, like 3AM or so.

Curious why you say no metro after dark....it isn't bad and on weekdays runs until 11PM - Midnight which is ok for most people. On weekends it is a lot later, like 3AM or so.

Lots of interesting people like to ride the metro after dark. I never rode it after dark. I was normally alone when I did take the metro. Alone, 20ish, white woman in a sketchy area is a bad combo. I do my best to avoid a potentially bad situation.

Thanks everyone....As far as food were pretty casual when it comes to dining, good ol American or Italian is cool w us. We would like a nice higher class dining one night.

As for Hotels we'd like to avoid the typical Holiday Inn Express atmosphere. We were thinking a nice Historic Hotel or something with some charm, and the wife would like a pool...haha.

I asked the wife if she wanted to tour the White House.....she said she may not be able to keep her comments to her self or her political views in check.....Haha.

Good info though thanks!

I asked the wife if she wanted to tour the White House.....she said she may not be able to keep her comments to her self or her political views in check.....Haha.

I hope she's not seriously considering skipping a White House visit because of partisanship. That might be the single least American thing I've ever heard.

That'd be like skipping the Vietnam Memorial because you don't believe it was a justified conflict.

Well I will tell you this, Alexandria was pretty sweet. Very neat. Brick buildings and white fences, brick streets, etc. Had some amazing sushi at this little hole in the wall place too.

Silver Springs has a LOT of dining options as well.

Bring yo gat too. It's like going from Bexley to Columbus. You go from million dollar homes to looking like a bomb exploded once you get on the other side of the bridge. MD and DC is the same. You come to the divid that says welcome to Washington DC and it's another world.

I hope she's not seriously considering skipping a White House visit because of partisanship. That might be the single least American thing I've ever heard.

That'd be like skipping the Vietnam Memorial because you don't believe it was a justified conflict.

No not at all, she's just sarcastic when it comes to politics. It's one of those things you must do atleast once in your life.

Well I will tell you this, Alexandria was pretty sweet. Very neat. Brick buildings and white fences, brick streets, etc. Had some amazing sushi at this little hole in the wall place too.

Silver Springs has a LOT of dining options as well.

Bring yo gat too. It's like going from Bexley to Columbus. You go from million dollar homes to looking like a bomb exploded once you get on the other side of the bridge. MD and DC is the same. You come to the divid that says welcome to Washington DC and it's another world.

Good info.....

Stay in Alexandria on the main strip (King street I believe).

There is a hotel allegro there as well as a SUPEr nice Holiday inn Select (dont let the name fool you. Also, there is a hotel indigo there.

cobblestone streets ,market square, all the little shops, the yacht club. That place is my favorite place in the US.

Expedia that shit!!!

Lots of interesting people like to ride the metro after dark. I never rode it after dark. I was normally alone when I did take the metro. Alone, 20ish, white woman in a sketchy area is a bad combo. I do my best to avoid a potentially bad situation.

Smart on your part but it really isn't that bad and I've ridden in the bad areas late at night and I'm just a skinny white boy...lol

But with him and his wife and if he knows the bad areas he should be fine after dark....especially considering dark is 5PM or a little after during winter!