Mustang bodies mustangs in general late 90's+

wnaplay1647545503

I will be in the market for a mustang in the near future. The car must be a v6 late 90's+. The problem is I am seeing some cars in this age range I like and others I dont. Were there body improvements/changes somewhere around this time frame? Also were there certain things not available in the v6 but offered in the v8? I am looking for leather interior but dont know if it was offered as a v6 option. Also what kind of things should I be looking for in one of these, whats notorious for going bad and what kind of maintenance should I expect to have with one of these? Thanks

To be honest, I wouldn't waste your time with that model with the V6 unless you plan to swap out the engine for a full build. You can find a GT with all that stuff for not much more and it will save you a lot of time and headache down the road (not many changes from 94-98 as far as the chassis)....

What are your plans for it?

talk her into it....

a stock gt isn't really much faster than the v6 it comes with more options and it won't have the failboat headgasket popping junk ass 3.8 v6 in it.....

83-93 are all basically the same then 94-98 (94-95 got the 5.0) (96-98 got the 4.6) then 99-04 are all the same.....

if your that worried about him being crazy in it you could always get it tuned to say not go over 85 or take a bunch of fuel and timing out of it and make it slower

with a gt you almost always get leather the good stereo etc the v6 cars are a crapshoot

16th birthday present for my son. My wife wont allow me to get the v8 :(

I have seen a few 02's I like but other years appear different. I cant tell why.

If you are stuck with a V6, I would personally look at another vehicle. As GGA said the 3.8 is really junk and will make it NOT fun for him or you. Not to mention something almost 10-years old you aren't going to find many V6's that were well taken care of in those years...

94-95 5.0 V8's really aren't that fast.

96-98 4.6 V8's are dogs.

99-04 4.6 got the updated heads and really aren't bad (updated bodystyle).

Is she worried about insurance cost or speed/power?

If it has to be a V6, don't get a mustang. The v8's weren't fast, but it would be cool for a car in HS.

I mean a modern camry or accord will have more power than a early-mid 90s GT. Tell your wife that.

I have to agree with this, I'm not a Mustang guy but the older V8s are really slow. The real advantage to a GT is that the drivetrain is bulletproof compared to a Camaro.

Speed is little or no concern of mine. I guess since he is paying for his own fuel(we are until he can work) she wants him to have something he can afford the gas in. He likes the mustang so I guess we are at a stalemate. I assume with any car I am taking the chance of having unknown issues so I never worry if someone has beaten on a car or not before I buy it. I am more worried that regular maintenance doesnt cost me a fortune. If head gaskets are a notorious problem, then thats something that concerns me. My son doesnt know anything about power and performance. He would be happy with a 2cylinder motor as long as it was in a mustang body. I am sure it will change as he gets older.

The 3.8 are not garbage, The do pretty much require a head gasket change at about 70k Once that has been done they are good for a good while. The gas mileage is not super but they are 20+ so not horrid. The v8's of these years are pretty lame as well hp wise (not that a kid needs hp any way)and the parts cost a little more. A v6 stang is better than most peoples first car, Plus most all Gt or cobra stuff can be added to make it look the way he wants and that will give him a goal to work for plus you can help him do the little installs (wheels, ground effects, dual exhaust, etc)

The perfect example is Cam's mustang that they made a fobra out of. it started as a v6

Whatever happened to him selling it? Mpg is only a one of the determining factors. Price is also a consideration. I have seen v6 mustangs going for as low as $1800. Unfortunately for me they are always sold by the time I get ahold of the seller.

At his age, insurance $$$$ is going to be the biggest thing. I would check into that before you look at anything else.

I just remember I owned a Cobra in high school for not much more than another kid bought a V6 (same year) for. He added all the Cobra appearance stuff in the end but spent almost the same amount as me....

Get the car he wants, BUT please keep in mind and let him know, Mustangs of that time are NOT good in the winter.

No traction control, and a light back end.

I had a 95 GT, fun car for the time, but in the ran I could get it to go sideways at any time I wanted and many times I didnt want to.

In the snow, forget it. Yes, it can be driven in the snow, but you will get stuck, A LOT.

So just keep that in mind. Maybe go test drive a mustang right now, just to see how it handles in winter.