suggestions for Photo software?

99ta

Photoshop. Lots to learn but well worth it.

Though I have to ask, what will it be used for primarily?

my wife just likes to mess around with pics she takes. we bought a new comp and it dosen't have a photo editor on it. nothing major..

Photoshop elements is pretty cheap compartivly to photoshopCS. I would reccomend this for starters and Scott kelbys photshop elements book.

Gimp is a free alterative but can be flustering.

+1 on starting out with Photoshop Elements. It's enough for most people, especially if they aren't seasoned photo editors. If you really get into it and end up needing more features, then you can always go for the full version.

You can find Elements for around $70, and a full version of Photoshop will run you something like $650 last time I checked, unless you can get the Student/Teacher version which should be around $200.

You can also find it all over major torrent sites. Personally, I downloaded a 30 day trial of CS3 a few years ago from the Adobe website, then edited some code that basically removed the 30 day trial part. Clean, virus free Photoshop straight from Adobe, minus the whole paying part.

Lightroom 3 is great for organizing massive amounts of photos and editing very quickly. Weddings are very easy with it and it usually takes me about 3-4 hrs to do +2,000 photos including, culling, white balance adjusting, straightening, cropping, and then burning to DVD for clients.

More advanced editing gets done in CS5, but thats usually only 1-2 photos per request to remove something or other tricky stuff the client wants. Typically if a photo would need run through photoshop I'd just cull it out of the pile all together.

If you have a mac and the most recent software with the mac app store, you can get Aperture for $70(vs 200 in store). Pretty much the same as Adobe Lightroom from what I've read. Its been great for doing large batch editing, and its non destructive(you can always access the original, unedited photo) And of course Photoshop for the really nitty gritty stuff.