Anyone know anything about RX-8 swaps?

greg1647545532

Not something I'm planning on doing anytime soon, but I've seen it suggested elsewhere, and it seems like a solid idea, to put the new 305hp 3.7L V6 from the '11 Mustangs into an RX-8. I know LS1 swaps have been done, as well as SR20/2JZ things, but the 3.7L was a joint Ford/Mazda venture, so I'm wondering if the electronics would match up any better, or if there'd be any combination of Mazda6/Miata/RX-8 ECUs and harnesses that would have a chance of snapping in and running a V6 without rewiring the dash. I'm not sure where to start.

I know a standalone would work, but I come from the Honda world where there's always an OEM part from some car that you can use.

I doubt it would work, due to the RENESIS engine not having much in common with a V6.

If you're going to put that much work into it, why half-ass it? (3/4 ass it really)

I'm saying to drop a V8 in it if you are going to go through the trouble of swapping.

Well, the 3.7L V6 is pretty sweet -- all aluminum, composite intake, 7000 rpm redline. It's a nice little compact and reliable way to get 305 hp. If the electronics line up that's a huge bonus over an LSx. I envision this as a dual-use DD + road course car, so I 300hp would be "enough."

If the electronics don't line up then you're right, it probably wouldn't be worth it.

I don't know much about the ford v6 but its an interesting idea. How much is the whole set up going to run you? you can get LS1's for a pretty decent price now.

Another thing to consider is if you are a swap pioneer it will cost more money and take more time. If you do a swap thats 'been done' at least you aren't pioneering. Have you been on http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1544.0 ? Here is a link to the Hinson kit. All though I hear their customer service isn't very good.

Also another thing to consider is what are your power goals? LS1 power is relatively cheap

I don't know much about the ford v6 but its an interesting idea. How much is the whole set up going to run you? you can get LS1's for a pretty decent price now.

Another thing to consider is if you are a swap pioneer it will cost more money and take more time. If you do a swap thats 'been done' at least you aren't pioneering. Have you been on http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=1544.0 ? Here is a link to the Hinson kit. All though I hear their customer service isn't very good.

Also another thing to consider is what are your power goals? LS1 power is relatively cheap

agreed I would bet for the price of just the engine you would be able to fund most if not all of a ls1 swap.

I imagine it'd be expensive at this point. In 5 years when wrecked mustangs start filling up junkyards it will get better, especially since people probably won't be clamoring for V6s. The whole pioneer thing, I'm with you on that. I didn't realize there was a kit coming out for the LS1, and it looks like they've got a pretty good solution for the electronics too. I'd rather have the lighter 3.7L, I think, but it'd be hard to argue with a working product.

For my goals, if it stays around 3000 lbs, I think 300hp would be more than enough for what I'd do with it. It's plenty for a DD and enough to do some murdering on a road course.

To frustrate people. For the record, the Mazda3 04-09 aka the 1st gen has 6 different PJB's, and new ECU setups every half year! That makes tuning these cars damn near impossible because there is no standard in wiring/design, and Mazda tends to keep the schematics for everything locked up.

If you start swapping out ECU's, even using the same maker (i.e. Mazda) some things might line up, but a single CAN signal not lined up will cause an error and without access to detailed info in the ECU's and/or a deep understating of CAN it will be hard to tell what's really wrong.

I imagine it'd be expensive at this point. In 5 years when wrecked mustangs start filling up junkyards it will get better, especially since people probably won't be clamoring for V6s. The whole pioneer thing, I'm with you on that. I didn't realize there was a kit coming out for the LS1, and it looks like they've got a pretty good solution for the electronics too. I'd rather have the lighter 3.7L, I think, but it'd be hard to argue with a working product.

For my goals, if it stays around 3000 lbs, I think 300hp would be more than enough for what I'd do with it. It's plenty for a DD and enough to do some murdering on a road course.

The electronics associated with the LS1 swap are well documented, also the factory engine harness is almost a standalone harness on its own. There are 5 connectors that connect it to the chassis. For my swap I got those 5 connectors off a wrecked f-body and made a jumper harness to the RX-7. It was ~ 20 wires? not bad at all.

you think 300hp in a 3000lb car is nice but you will want more. Mine dynoed 328 rwhp and I already want more. Also, I see your plans are for the occasional road race. Not sure how hardcore you are with this but some guys running slicks have pulled enough lateral g's to starve the oil pick up. Some of those guys are going big bux with a dry sump kit.

The electronics associated with the LS1 swap are well documented, also the factory engine harness is almost a standalone harness on its own. There are 5 connectors that connect it to the chassis. For my swap I got those 5 connectors off a wrecked f-body and made a jumper harness to the RX-7. It was ~ 20 wires? not bad at all.

you think 300hp in a 3000lb car is nice but you will want more. Mine dynoed 328 rwhp and I already want more. Also, I see your plans are for the occasional road race. Not sure how hardcore you are with this but some guys running slicks have pulled enough lateral g's to starve the oil pick up. Some of those guys are going big bux with a dry sump kit.

Not to mention you can jump on EBAY and buy a longer harness for your swap as well.

There is no wrong with a LS! tons of Aftermarket options and OEM ones.

Draco-REX Do something insane and swap in a boosted S2000 motor. http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/../ubb/biggrin.gif
Hope you plan on building a 4k trans so you dont explode the stock ones they suck just as bad as the ap1 rear diffs.