Nice Work Berto (Cummins Content)

Mallard

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/10/2011-ram-3500-hd-high-output-chicago-2011-reveal/

6.7L Diesel

390 HP

800 Ft-lbs

Tows 22,700 lbs

GVWR 30,000 lbs

350,000 miles before a major overhaul

and....

NO UREA INJECTION

Brilliant!

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2011/02/3500-hd-630.jpg

Sat in the Laramie 3500 at NAIAS and wasnt really impressed, feels more cramped than my dads 2010 camry. And I definitely dont see where they get the 60k price tag on those trucks. But the motor is very impressive in my book and look forward to seeing what they squeeze out of the new diesels that are coming out.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/10/2011-ram-3500-hd-high-output-chicago-2011-reveal/

6.7L Diesel

390 HP

800 Ft-lbs

Tows 22,700 lbs

GVWR 30,000 lbs

350,000 miles before a major overhaul

and....

NO UREA INJECTION

Brilliant!

Thanks! I keep forgetting thats old news ;).

I am really disappointed by the fact that not many of the big truck comparisons in magazines talk about the Cummins NOT needing Urea injection/DEF. Torque war is right though. This market is brutal. I am very curious on what the future of these big diesel trucks is going to be. We are getting to the point where towing 22,700 lbs is no joke and I don't know if I'd personally WANT to tow much more than that from a safety standpoint. I really wonder if any of the manufacturers will ever say 'ok enough is enough' and start targeting fuel economy much more aggressively.

You can't forget about the MegaCab either. now there is a company that offers the long bed extension for the megacab while keeping the warranty. :)

My dad has a 2010, so it's only 650 lb ft stock. He's hoping he might be eligible for an in-warranty flash to something close to those levels, that would sure be fun. It's my understanding that the 800 level motors are mechanically the same, but that the torque converter is upgraded to handle it....

Also, Berto, do you work for Cummins? Can you comment on any possibility of that?

My dad has a 2010, so it's only 650 lb ft stock. He's hoping he might be eligible for an in-warranty flash to something close to those levels, that would sure be fun. It's my understanding that the 800 level motors are mechanically the same, but that the torque converter is upgraded to handle it....

Also, Berto, do you work for Cummins? Can you comment on any possibility of that?

Speaking of working for Cummins, I was thinking about applying there for an internship had I not decided to join the Marines.

Urea injection?

Two ways manufacturers "clean up" diesel emissions:

You can inject urea into the exhaust in order to chemically react with the harmful exhaust components and change them into harmless ones.

OR

You can collect the contaminates in a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) in the exhaust. The DPF method introduces an excess of fuel into the exhaust, by way of an in-exhaust or injector or a simple "wasted" injector cycle which heats up the exhaust gases and "cleans" the filter of it's contents that way.

Urea injection requires refilling the Urea reservoir about every oil change for $40 or so each time, but the exhaust restriction created and excess fuel required to heat the DPF negatively affects mileage.

Two ways manufacturers "clean up" diesel emissions:

You can inject urea into the exhaust in order to chemically react with the harmful exhaust components and change them into harmless ones.

OR

You can collect the contaminates in a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) in the exhaust. The DPF method introduces an excess of fuel into the exhaust, by way of an in-exhaust or injector or a simple "wasted" injector cycle which heats up the exhaust gases and "cleans" the filter of it's contents that way.

Urea injection requires refilling the Urea reservoir about every oil change for $40 or so each time, but the exhaust restriction created and excess fuel required to heat the DPF negatively affects mileage.

Its not an either or type of technology. If you have SCR there is still a DPF upstream of it.

I cant believe people are buying $60K pickup trucks. It is a nice truck but not for $60K.

^^ this....but I suppose it's all relative to what it's used for. My nieghbor is a truck driver and owns his own rig and trailor. he bought a bad-ass Ford like this because he can get creative on his taxes. some say I'm crazy for what I spend on my goodies too.

Will there still be a stick shift option on the new Cummins Ram?

Berto, I agree with your thoughts on Torque Wars with the Big Three right now. Is Cummins developing a smaller-displacement diesel for lighter-duty fullsize trucks, possibly Dodge? THAT would be a great seller. Plus, it would bring new truck buyers that balk at a $45k+ price tag (like me) for a "weekend worker" truck...

Its not an either or type of technology. If you have SCR there is still a DPF upstream of it.

This is true, I was just trying to say that not all have Urea, some (Dodge) is still sticking with DPF-only for now. Cab and chassis trucks have already switched.

Will there still be a stick shift option on the new Cummins Ram?

Berto, I agree with your thoughts on Torque Wars with the Big Three right now. Is Cummins developing a smaller-displacement diesel for lighter-duty fullsize trucks, possibly Dodge? THAT would be a great seller.

I'm no inside source, but from what I understand the stick will remain for a while, however, not with the 800 lb feet motor. That motor will be an auto-only option. Stick shift trucks (like my dads) are detuned slightly already because Dodge refuses to put a good clutch in them....

Also, it's my understanding that a half-ton diesel is still in the works for Dodge at least, although I REALLY wouldn't expect a manual offered with those.