GM is bringing a Diesel to the Chevy Curze... but do we want it?

Trouble Maker

I will admit, when I saw it, I shit my pants. I think this is the hearkening of diesels being main stream in the US, which I think is just cool

But if it only gets 1MPG more (combined) than the Chevy Curze Eco, at probably thousands of dollars more, what's the point?

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/21/report-diesel-chevrolet-cruze-confirmed-for-u-s/

According to the crew at GMInsideNews, General Motors is mulling the notion of introducing a diesel Chevrolet Cruze to the American market. Sources within the Lordstown, Ohio assembly plant responsible for piecing the compact sedan together have confirmed that a diesel Cruze will be built for 2013. If that's not enough to wipe the stink of skepticism off your person, GMI says that additional sources within The General's engineering team have confirmed that an oil-burning Cruze is on the company's schedule.

Production is rumored to kick off on the project at some point next year.

There's even rumor that GM is currently testing diesel Cruze models around the greater Detroit area right now. While no power or fuel economy numbers are available at the moment, GM is expected to make use of a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine for the new model. That would be the same lump found in the Holden Cruze CDX, which turns out 147 horsepower and 235 pound-feet of torque with up to 34 miles per gallon combined.

Leave it to them to screw up diesel.

Sadly, it would be the only GM car I'd be interested in buying in a long time, if they get it right.

So here is the thing, I don't think they necessarily screwed it up.

Looking on fueleconomy.gov, the top 3 diesels (for MPG) are the Golf, A3 and Jetta, all tied at 34mpg (combined). I think maybe they just did a really good job with the Eco.

So here is the thing, I don't think they necessarily screwed it up.

Looking on fueleconomy.gov, the top 3 diesels (for MPG) are the Golf, A3 and Jetta, all tied at 34mpg (combined). I think maybe they just did a really good job with the Eco.

Yes, ergo my still somewhat optimistic tone.

Go look at real life fuel economy figures from some old Jetti / Golf TDI owners.

50-60mpg freeway is what keeps them in love with these cars for 300k+ miles.

Mind you, I haven't driven a cruze, but I've heard good things about it's build quality, interior, ect. If it can match the Jetti TDI, for less money, I think it will be a hit.

EDIT: Hell even if it costs about the same, some GM Brand loyalist and "die hard americans" can at least get an economical diesel sedan without feeling like they are supporting the nazi's.

:)

Yes, ergo my still somewhat optimistic tone.

Go look at real life fuel economy figures from some old Jetti / Golf TDI owners.

50-60mpg freeway is what keeps them in love with these cars for 300k+ miles.

Mind you, I haven't driven a cruze, but I've heard good things about it's build quality, interior, ect. If it can match the Jetti TDI, for less money, I think it will be a hit.

EDIT: Hell even if it costs about the same, some GM Brand loyalist and "die hard americans" can at least get an economical diesel sedan without feeling like they are supporting the nazi's.

:)

haha, agreed.

all cars are not built equal even when its the same car.

Imperial gallon v. US gallon and the UK versions don't have as much emissions crap.

Still the UK version gets about 55 mpg highway after the conversion.

I get about 39-41 mixed and 45-46 highway in my 09 TDI. If I could stand to drive between 55-60 mph on the highway it would easily get 50, but the mpg's really starts to drop off above 65.

Edited by Diesel Pilot
beat to the punch on the conversions

People usually observe much higher economy than stated on diesel for some reason. Especially on the old 1.9L. Find a 1.9L diesel bug and enjoy 55-60mpg.

And my dad owns one of those. ;) 82 i think diesel rabbit. That car is so pimp. Cant wait to see it down in texas.

Yea. Its slow as shit. Clanks like a main bearing is out and smokes like a train but he loves it. He is planning on putting the turbo conversion on it this summer. Bump output to 80 lol. Its just a fun car for him. He had one when he was my age and he found a clean one from Cali so he bought it.