Thinking about making a change.

racerx78

Hoping for some sage advice.

I'm thinking about selling my '10 MS3 for a '08 STi. Here's my problem. I was all set to continue to mod the speed and take it out to AutoX and Mid-Ohio this year. I then started looking at the 2011 STi. I've always been a fan of the STi/Evo. After looking at the finances i couldn't justify getting a new STi, but i did some more look and found a 08 STi with BBS rims low miles, and looks to be stock. Book value is 29K for it and this dealer wants 26K, i've been talking to a sales person and their welling to give me 21K for my speed. Seems like a great deal. My problem is that if i do it all my Mod money for this and next year is gone and i'll have to cut out mid-ohio for the year.

What i'm wondering is the STi worth it? I can't say which car is more reliable, given both have had their engine issues. The STi powertrain is more mature and has more aftermarket support. Most of the mods i'd do would be suspension related, i wouldn't be drag racing so i don't needs huge power.

I had a 2008 WRX, and despite the fact that most people don't like it, I did. For you to know I'd think you'd have to drive one and see how it feels to you. One thing I can say about my Subaru is that it was impressive to me in how it did everything it was supposed to do very well. Handling wise in situations where you are really pushing it in the twisties it was much more aggressive than other car's that I've had that used finess to go through corners fast.

IMHO, you need to go drive one of these or something. I mean asking us if its "worth it" is a silly question. We cant really answer that for you.

I personally will more than likely say "YES ITS WORTH IT" cuz i love subies. But that doesnt mean its worth it to you.

There is an 04 STi for sale on COS right now for like 13K IIRC.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r230/jducer/Picture001.jpg

08 evo x gsr... you can find them all day between 23-26k.

I have driven the sti, evo 8 and 9 as well as the evo x. I have to say the biggest smile i have ever had on my face in a stock car was the evo x.

It did everything exceptionally well, my only complaint was the interior.

One of my friends has an STi with a pretty awesome paint job on it; he's selling it for like 15k. I think it may be an 05.

I swear to god, if you are talking about this car, i will find someone to falcon punch you in the cock. (aside from the fact that this if now for sale at denny dotson who says NOTHING is wrong with it, damn crooks)

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a420/epowelliv/IMG_7526-1.jpg

I swear to god, if you are talking about this car, i will find someone to falcon punch you in the cock. (aside from the fact that this if now for sale at denny dotson who says NOTHING is wrong with it, damn crooks)

Lol, no it's not him.

o rly? lol

o rly? lol

Oh really.. and a few easy searched on Nasioc will find EVERYTHing wrong with this and the retarded little crook 18yo, who beat the holy hell out of it.

I knew the first owner of htis car and if you are mid ohio person, you know this car as well more than likely.. it was originally driven by a 60yo man.. but thats a whole other thread of its own, and i have completely thrown this thread in the shiiter. Sorry OP!

Back to topic.

STI= Sex.

It's not like this is a one-off '67 Alfa or something and you have to jump at the opportunity. Go to Mid-Ohio at least once with the MS3. It will change your outlook on cars. If it doesn't, there will always be '08 STIs on the market. It won't hurt you to wait a year. If anything it'll help because depreciation is working in your favor.

I'd rather take a Camry to Mid-Ohio than have an STi sitting flacid in my driveway. Track time > *

Agreed, whats the use of a fun car if you can't enjoy it.

08 evo x gsr... you can find them all day between 23-26k.

I have driven the sti, evo 8 and 9 as well as the evo x. I have to say the biggest smile i have ever had on my face in a stock car was the evo x.

It did everything exceptionally well, my only complaint was the interior.

I do like the evo but they jack my Ins way up. The STi doesn't.

Sell the MS3. Why? Because the front bumper looks gayyyy as fuck.

Also, because the STi is a better performance car (IMO) and you'll probably have more fun driving/modding it.

Most people don't but i like the front end of the MS3. I do agree the STi is a better platform overall when it comes to modding.

It's not like this is a one-off '67 Alfa or something and you have to jump at the opportunity. Go to Mid-Ohio at least once with the MS3. It will change your outlook on cars. If it doesn't, there will always be '08 STIs on the market. It won't hurt you to wait a year. If anything it'll help because depreciation is working in your favor.

I did have the MS3 at Mid-Ohio last year and it was a blast, and did better than i was expecting. The only reason i'm looking is because there i'm getting way more for my car than others have offered, and the STi is 3K under book value.

I have been to Mid Ohio with 2 friends who have both the STi and the MS3. The MS3 guy was great with it. He would turn better times then classes above him in TT. The car was fast, handled ok, and was easy to drive. On the other hand it pushed like hell, sucked up gas, and would chew through race pads (2 weekends) like crazy.

The STi guy was only running in HPDE 2, so he was not pushing as hard, but he was pulling ok lap times. The car handled well, is hella quick and easier on the brakes.

Another friend had an Evo out there and he was driving it hard and not having problems.

The MS3 is a FF car that will not over steer and has lots of weight on the front tires and brakes. I would not track it for that reason.

I also don't like STi's and would get a RWD car for the track/fun car.

It is what you want. Sounds like a good deal on your trade and the STi price, but if you will not be able to track, dunno. Go drive the STi and see what you like better.

http://www.adamdaley.com/max/mr2/ben.jpg

The MS3 is a FF car that will not over steer and has lots of weight on the front tires and brakes. I would not track it for that reason.

This is a vastly over-used negative towards front wheel drive cars.

Of course it is not ideal for tracking, but they can be made to handle very well and be very fast around the track.

Most peoples cars are far more capable than their skill, even stock fwd cars.

I would bet the OP can't take 75% advantage of the MS3 on the track.

In my opinion, I would keep the Speed 3. for a few years and move into something after that.

I have been to Mid Ohio with 2 friends who have both the STi and the MS3. The MS3 guy was great with it. He would turn better times then classes above him in TT. The car was fast, handled ok, and was easy to drive. On the other hand it pushed like hell, sucked up gas, and would chew through race pads (2 weekends) like crazy.

The STi guy was only running in HPDE 2, so he was not pushing as hard, but he was pulling ok lap times. The car handled well, is hella quick and easier on the brakes.

Another friend had an Evo out there and he was driving it hard and not having problems.

I also don't like STi's and would get a RWD car for the track/fun car.

It is what you want. Sounds like a good deal on your trade and the STi price, but if you will not be able to track, dunno. Go drive the STi and see what you like better.

I like RWD cars but i wouldn't want to own one for my DD/track. Especially in the winter here. Plus i'm to tall for most RWD cars to sit in correctly with my helmet. The FF layout isn't ideal, but they did a good job setting up the chassis in the ms3. When i ran at Mid-Ohio, I did pretty well. Got up to 120+ on the back straight, and was braking so hard that i had smoke pouring out of brakes but i had barely any wear on the pads. It may be because i was running Hawk pads.

This is a vastly over-used negative towards front wheel drive cars.

Of course it is not ideal for tracking, but they can be made to handle very well and be very fast around the track.

Most peoples cars are far more capable than their skill, even stock fwd cars.

I would bet the OP can't take 75% advantage of the MS3 on the track.

In my opinion, I would keep the Speed 3. for a few years and move into something after that.

I agree with most of this. There are alot of good FF cars out there right now, that can more than challange RWD & AWD cars. While i know i can't use the ms3 to its fullest i know can get atleast 50% out of it.

Though its a really good deal i'd prefer to get some more seat time and out to the track more.