FS: BMW E30 w/ turbo 5.0 swap

nurkvinny

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is very cool,

I have a question, I owned a 3 in the 90s and I was amazed at how it handeled in corners.

Flat and steady

With the added with of the 5.0 how does it feel.

If I had the cash I'd be all over something like this

GLWS....Oh and the new one on the way

Mace

That is very cool,

I have a question, I owned a 3 in the 90s and I was amazed at how it handeled in corners.

Flat and steady

With the added with of the 5.0 how does it feel.

If I had the cash I'd be all over something like this

GLWS....Oh and the new one on the way

Mace

Thanks. I don't know; I haven't gotten out of my driveway yet. :)

Some things I forgot to add:

I did a compression test on it (and this was BONE cold with no oil squirted in the cylinders) -

1 120

2 122

3 114

4 115

5 124

6 115

7 124

8 129

It has an aftermarket flexplate.

Car has 2.92 rear.

It's set to something close to 13lbs now. I've heard fairy tales of it being turned up well North of that boost in the past though. :cool:

I don't actually know current dyno numbers with the current turbo and other changes. Car made 487rwhp 535rwtq on the old smaller turbo @ 11.x lbs.

Just to keep potential traders / buyers 100% in the loop:

New TPS installed just now. Things were 75% better. No idle surges. Was able to goose the pedal right after starting it and it responded tons better.

Still some hesitation now though after it ran for a minute or so. Maybe there is a learning period or something like that when you replace the TPS?

EDIT - Out to do this now.

Clear the computer's idle memory by disconnecting the battery for 20+ minutes.

-Disconnect the Idle Air Bypass solenoid

-Reconnect battery

-Start engine and set idle speed to desired RPM with idle screw on throttle body

-Turn off engine and reconnect the air bypass solenoid

-Set TPS voltage between 0.90 - 0.95 volts with a digital volt meter

-Start engine and let it idle for 2 minutes with no accessories on.

-Turn off engine for two minutes

-Start engine again and run for 2 minutes with every accessory turned on.

-Turn engine off again.

And found this:

10 Pin Connector modification:

1. Take the 10 pin connectors apart (salt and pepper shakers).

2. use a pick like tool to spread the male terminals open more so they make better contact. In the center of each male terminal there is a small seam and seams down the sides of the terminal which allows you to spread them open.

3. Apply some dielectric grease to the terminals

4. Plug the connectors back in.

Edited by nurkvinny

I to can answer any questions about the car if Vinny can't. Good luck with the sale.

Thanks man. I might change my mind about getting rid of it after I finally get this thing out running correctly on a warm day and take it through the gears.

:cool:

Hey Vinny, trade for an 84 corvette. 100% stock.

That doesn't really help with the family thing. :) But, ya never know. Details?

I'd say what you need is a nice big, safe, comfortable 4-door Buick LeSabre with a huge trunk and the dependable 3800 Series II motor which consistently delivers 30+ mpg. I happen to know where an unmolested one is available for trade on this highly impractical car you've listed. ;)

I'd say what you need is a nice big, safe, comfortable 4-door Buick LeSabre with a huge trunk and the dependable 3800 Series II motor which consistently delivers 30+ mpg. I happen to know where an unmolested one is available for trade on this highly impractical car you've listed. ;)

Ha. I already own a big safe 4-door sedan with a 3800. :)

Doesn't see 30+ mpg though. :cool:

So sweet. Do you have any interest in a 2001 Saab 9-3 turbo? Has about 94k on it, is a manual, 4 doors, but boost is still a good time! Is up to date on maintenance and has been surprisingly reliable (for a SAAB).

So sweet. Do you have any interest in a 2001 Saab 9-3 turbo? Has about 94k on it, is a manual, 4 doors, but boost is still a good time! Is up to date on maintenance and has been surprisingly reliable (for a SAAB).

No thanks man.

I know my point was that is has more pump than you will ever need so buyer will not need to spend $ to upgrade

I know and I agree. Just busting your balls.

Added a bunch of stuff to the original post.

Edited by nurkvinny