Bought a Mustang, have some questions...

Ziggy1647545504

I bought a 2000 Mustang GT last night, and noticed on my drive home that once it was warmed up, there was a heavy clinking/tinking noise coming from under the vehicle. The noise seems to come on between 2-3k RPM, and when cruising if you let off the gas, it'll get pretty loud. The car runs great, holds good oil pressure, and the clutch feels good, but this noise is pretty disconcerting. Does this sound like a bad throw out bearing? The car only has 92k miles, but it was sitting for a couple of months prior to my purchase. I'm already spending money today to replace the brakes all around, and figured I'd poke around a little bit while I have it on the lift this afternoon, just figured someone may be able to give me an idea of some things I could be looking for while I have it in the air.

rear end?

The noise isn't coming from the rear of the car, more front/middle. I've never had a clutch chatter before, but I searched "2000 Mustang GT Clutch Knock" on You Tube, and found a couple of videos of cars making similar noises, but they were all at idle. Mine only makes noise under load after it's warmed up.

The noise isn't coming from the rear of the car, more front/middle. I've never had a clutch chatter before, but I searched "2000 Mustang GT Clutch Knock" on You Tube, and found a couple of videos of cars making similar noises, but they were all at idle. Mine only makes noise under load after it's warmed up.

could be a pilot bearing, could be a T-45 input shaft.

Any shakes or shimmy that comes with the noise? Can you feel it in the steering wheel or the seat? maybe your feet on the floor?

could be a pilot bearing, could be a T-45 input shaft.

Any shakes or shimmy that comes with the noise? Can you feel it in the steering wheel or the seat? maybe your feet on the floor?

No, not really. Actually, with the radio on (not very loud, mind you), it's hardly noticable inside the car at all.

You could do what most people do and just turn up the radio. Is there a heat shield on the cats or on a resonator? Sometimes those rust loose and rattle on the exhaust. If the noise is dependent on RPM then I would look at the trans and forward. If it is dependent on speed then the trans back.

If you've ever heard an engine driven fan hit a fan shroud, that is the kind of noise I'm hearing. Like I said, not constant, only once the car warms up, and even then it isn't all the time. I'm leaning toward the throw out bearing as the most likely culprit, but I don't want to pull the trans and replace it only to find out that wasn't the problem.

I had a noise with mine when i got it. It was a squeaking noise coming from the trans at idle but only when it got warm, and went away if i kept my foot on the clutch pedal VERY slightly, like 1/8th depressed. Replaced the TOB...wasn't that. Finally got a new trans and when I pulled my old one out i was messing with it and it was the clutch fork rubbing metal on metal with the pivot stud. Probably isn't the same thing as your problem, but you never know. When your car is warm, press the clutch in all the way and see if it goes away. If it does, it's more than likely your TOB.

Check the plate that bolts to the trans that covers the clutch cable. Mine was loose the other day and I though I had a rod coming out of the block again. There is a little seal that falls off and thats what my car was doing, might check it

**** Update ****

Spent a bunch of money on the car last night on brakes, found I had 3 bad calipers, both rear caliper brakets had the slide pins seized inside. Now that the brakes are sorted out and I can actually drive the thing, I've been able to pay more attention to this noise. It seems to come on at 2000+ RPM under load. You can hear it in neutral with the clutch pedal released, but only as the RPMs fall, and only for a second. I'm afraid I'm going to be getting into the engine... Timing chain tensioners maybe?

It seems to come on at 2000+ RPM under load. You can hear it in neutral with the clutch pedal released, but only as the RPMs fall, and only for a second. I'm afraid I'm going to be getting into the engine... Timing chain tensioners maybe?

I second the suggestion to check the u-joints. Also, maybe the driveshaft is out of balance. I damaged the stock shaft on my fox once, causing it to be out of balance and it would behave similarly to what you describe.

if you want to get out of it, pm me a price

I'm not giving up on it yet, but I'll let you know if I change my mind. Shoot, I don't even have the title for the dumb thing yet...

I spent some time trying to identify it further yesterday, and I'm almost certain the noise is coming from the trans/clutch area. It's hard to say for sure because the only way to hear it consistantly is to drive it. You can get it to make noise in neutral with the clutch depressed or not, but to get it to start and continue making the noise you have to be driving. Hopefully I'll get it up on the lift today and look closer from the underside.