If you are thinking about getting the Thunderbolt...

V8 Beast

The speed of this thing is crazy! To put it into perspective I used the hot spot data connection to play a game of call of duty. I ended up going 32 and 9 with 3 bars to full connection the entire game. You know its legit when you can play xbox live and get a better connection than time warner offers at this time of day! I wouldnt suggest doing it as my company pays my bill, but it was a fun test.

From a phone and feature standpoint its a good phone. I'm not going to say its a game changer as far as being a cell phone because phone makers are running the well dry. This phone does what your android did before but at a faster speed. My only criticism right now is the display could be better. It doesnt "pop" like an iphone or galaxy s phone. You get your basic 24 - 48 hours of battery life and have to charge mid day if you stream or surf the web. I would suggest having a car charger or an extra charger for work. If you play games like word fued your phone will not last the entire day.

To sum it up... its an android phone with fast as hell interwebs. I will be using my thunderbolt to supply a 4g connection to my ipad and/or netbook which is why it was worth it to me. If you are eligible I say go for it as you lose the frustrating waiting game while trying to surf and the price is in line with the other phones.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put in my droid 1 numbers for comparison

Droid 1 best after 10 attempts

1.43 down, .44 upload

Average 1.17 down .32 up

Thunderbolt best after 10 attempts

17.46 down 45.45 up

Average 14.5 down 38.1 up

These phones are not going to be discounted anymore than they already are. I tried... :(

nice to see Verizon finally get the EVO!

the upload is a glitch reading from the Thunderbolt having a huge buffer. it's getting fixed in speedtest very soon.

regardless, Verizon's LTE network is looking hellafast right now, at least before it gets saturated.

If I get the unlimited data why wouldnt I?

That's why I just jumped on this.

While it's no guarantee, I feel I have a shot at being grandfathered in if I get the unlimited data now. :D

Verizon openly admits they are eventually heading towards a tiered system...

That's why I just jumped on this.

While it's no guarantee, I feel I have a shot at being grandfathered in if I get the unlimited data now. :D

Verizon openly admits they are eventually heading towards a tiered system...

The data on the phone itself is still unlimited and cant be changed without causing an adverse change. I'm talking about the wireless tethering thats free on promotion right now. It'll be billed seperately in the future.

I also take back not doing it as one game of cod was like 20mb. You could pay $20 for 2gb of tether and play plenty of games (after the promo ends). I thought xbox streamed more data than that.

The data on the phone itself is still unlimited and cant be changed without causing an adverse change. I'm talking about the wireless tethering thats free on promotion right now. It'll be billed seperately in the future.

I also take back not doing it as one game of cod was like 20mb. You could pay $20 for 2gb of tether and play plenty of games (after the promo ends). I thought xbox streamed more data than that.

What I meant was Verizon openly admitted that their 4g data will be "tiered" shortly. With Sprint announcing "unlimited 4G" maybe they changed their minds for now.

Well shit no 4g anywhere near my house and it doesnt look like it will be here anytime in the future.

I still need new phones though, I wonder if the phone is faster in the 3g areas? what happens when I am using it as a mobile hotspot for my laptop and I get a phone call? Right now I use a MiFi card for my internet at home and currently dont have a smart phone.

Friend of mine got one, the speed test was re-god-damn-diculous. Especially the upload, it hit like 38mbit when I was looking at it. A guy on YouTube was mentioning that he has been uploading his videos with his phone, because the upload was something like 7 times faster than his home internet.