If you are thinking about getting the Thunderbolt...

V8 Beast

Well, just picked up a Thunderbolt. This is my first smartphone, so I don't have anything to compare it to. But it was time to upgrade and I figured if I was going to finally get one, I might as well buy ahead of the curve so it'll last.

I haven't played with it much yet, so I can't do a full review. But there's already one annoyance. They put the power port in the worst possible place. It's in the way if you're right handed and want to leave it plugged in while you use it. It's also on the wrong side to use the kickstand. So you can't watch movies on the kickstand and have it plugged in at the same time. They should have put it on the bottom like most other phones.

I got mine at Best Buy and they also have a hard case with holster for it. The best part is this holster holds the phone face-in to protect it. I've always thought all of those holsters that hold the phone face-out were a bad design.

So, anyone have a quick list of must-have apps for this thing? I'm told I should have a task killer of some sort, and an anti-virus and both can be found free. Which ones should I get, and what else?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, anyone have a quick list of must-have apps for this thing? I'm told I should have a task killer of some sort, and an anti-virus and both can be found free. Which ones should I get, and what else?

Most major banks have an app. They're secure, and are just as functional as their sites.

I had a task killer, but uninstalled it and my phone was much faster. This was on a droid though.

Anti-Virus...I don't believe it is necessary.

A good file manager (explore phone contents like windows) is a good idea. Astro is a popular one, the aforementioned friend with the Thunderbolt uses something like ES manager, I don't know.

NASIOC has an app too.

Shazam is good for identifying songs while they're playing.

That's all I really use.

Well, just picked up a Thunderbolt. This is my first smartphone, so I don't have anything to compare it to. But it was time to upgrade and I figured if I was going to finally get one, I might as well buy ahead of the curve so it'll last.

I haven't played with it much yet, so I can't do a full review. But there's already one annoyance. They put the power port in the worst possible place. It's in the way if you're right handed and want to leave it plugged in while you use it. It's also on the wrong side to use the kickstand. So you can't watch movies on the kickstand and have it plugged in at the same time. They should have put it on the bottom like most other phones.

I got mine at Best Buy and they also have a hard case with holster for it. The best part is this holster holds the phone face-in to protect it. I've always thought all of those holsters that hold the phone face-out were a bad design.

The placement of the power plug has pretty much become standard.

I think they believe that 99% of the time when you are not talking, you will be holding it in landscape / sideways mode. If it was at the end of the unit, you would never be able to do that.

Thats the one thing that pissed me off about the phone is having it on the side like that. Which makes charging and using the kickstand impossible. Why they would do that, i have no idea. Its the copy of the evo, why change something like that. Big FLAW on HTC's part.

LOL. It was only a year and a half that verizon and comcast dumped stupid money into the east coast cities for their fiber optic network, which was 50/30 i think and 100/50. That also costs like 100/mnth

Im surprised verizon hasnt gotten sued for false advertising. Their 4g is the fourth gen wireless radio, but its not LTE. Not even close.

everyone is doing it. i think the only real true 4g is sprint, i could be wrong. it seems like there are changes daily.

all i care is can i get calls, txt and troll. all happen to be included in the tmobile plans. unlimited trolling.

Got this phone yesterday and below are my thoughts:

I am coming from the Original Motorola Droid and then the Droid 2 so delt with Android alot..

BIG problem with this phone that I see is going to be battery life. I thought my previous Droid's batteries were not that great, but they were fantastic compared to this one. VERY minimal use today and it sits around 60% after a full charge last night. I am guessing that with typical, email, web, gaming, it might get half a day to three quarters day on a charge. Not a real big deal from me as I almost always have electric and a charger, just wouldnt be able to take a day trip without a charger for sure. The phone is fast....easily twice as fast as my Droid 2...love the screen size..and to be honest, its only minimally larger than the Droids. Thought I would hate it but really dont mind it. I agree with the placement of the power versus using with kickstand, but a dock will solve this (had docks for both previous phones). Ya, I would have love a dual processor phone, but to be honest, doubt at this point of the game it would have made a difference as nothing is really written for them. This is the next gen Snapdragon and is definitely much snappier than my buddies Incredible. Even was able to test talking on the phone and surfing the internet at the same time and it works great...dont know that I would ever do that much, but hey..its an additional feature. Tested the tethering on this phone vs the Droid2's (Rooted using Wireless Tether) and it is way faster...big plus there for sure. Also wanted the $29.99 "unlimited" 4G before that cost goes up as I am sure it will.

All in all I would say its a great phone. Had it home for a couple of hours and the wife liked it enough she wanted one too and with a little bit of work, got them to sell me one for her for the $249 even though her account wasnt up for an upgrade until July.

If your thinking of upgrading, I wouldnt hesitate...ya, there will be better phones, but lets face it when isnt that the case. I am pretty sure in a year and a half from now I wont mind using it..especially since it has been rooted already... :)

My galaxay S gets over 6 down and 2 up. Which anit bad for 3g+ . 4g is pretty fucking epic.

When I was a kid I had a 2400 baud modem..... we joked about 9600baud celluar connections. Now I can upload a file faster from my cell phone then my cable connection....

ohh wait docsis 3 launches next month