If you are thinking about getting the Thunderbolt...

V8 Beast

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

I've been in 4g since 12pm. 11 hours later and I still have 30% of my battery left. Those of you having trouble try and turn off the continuous internet connection in mobile networks (wireless and networks in settings). This stops the leaching apps from constantly using the 4g data to update all day.

Still loving this phone.

I probably will end up getting the extended battery though, I just enjoy it too much!

There is a lot of unneeded stuff running in this thing. I have not charged my phone since noon yesterday and it still has 10% left. Thats 25 hours of battery, and use. I will admit the calls were very limited, but I'm guessing with a normal day worth of calls you could easily get a 15-16 hours out of it (once a day charge overnight).

Here is what I did..

-Turn of continuous internet connection

-Turn of sync for stuff like stocks, back up assistance, and news if you dont use those apps

- Go into running services after powering the phone on to see what apps are set to run. That way when you download new apps you know which ones can be disabled if needed. If you know what you are doing you can even disable some of the default running services. If you dont know what you are doing do not do this!

- HTC sense facebook has a live feed.. if you are popular your battery will hate you! Turn off the live feed if you can live with only getting hourly updates. I set my updates to 4 hours. If I want to see what people are doing I can just go online and look.

- Dont run useless widgets in the background if you dont have to. Most of them stay connected and update constantly.

- Have weather update ever 3 hours if you can. I like to know what messed up Ohio has in store for me so I do that hourly.

- Avoid live wallpaper. It looks cool but is a huge battery killer on almost all android phones.

Anyone having trouble test this out. Another thing I thought of is to have you look at your connection strength and signal. If you are on the edge of 4g/basic signal your phone will have to work a lot harder to hold a signal. Stopping the constant connection with help with 4g, but with your basic wireless connection it will not. That in itself will drain the battery. Also keep in mind that the fail percentage on new phones is higher. If you got one from a bad batch now is the time to swap it out before you are stuck getting a refurbished one later on.. which will more than likely be a fixed phone from someone that had the same issues you have now.

• 2 weeks later...
Awesome...lost 12% battery life in 15 minutes. Haven't even used it. Fml I'm starting to hate this thing more and more.

Tom

These come loaded with tons of crap that's constantly running. If you dont' need it, disable it. GPS, WiFi, Background Data, etc. My phone is very comfortable, I have a few widgets on the home page, one is a weather widget, I also have Live wallpaper, and I read eBooks on my TB also, and I still have 50% battery life at the end of a work day. I accidentally left it unplugged last night and it still had 90% battery left. So it can be made to last. Just not set up as it comes from the factory. Stock settings = 6 hour battery life at most.

1130pm last night full charge, alarm doesn't go off at 630. Phone is powered off guess why...dead battery, after zero usage. Hitting all the forums now, trying more stuff.

Tom

Remember that part about swapping your phone out early if you get a lemon.... My friend sent hers back and the new one is fine. Same issue with the phone basicaly draining itself in less than 7 hours.

I've been on my hotspot for 2 hours and am at 80% battery. Posting from it now at work.

Remember that part about swapping your phone out early if you get a lemon.... My friend sent hers back and the new one is fine. Same issue with the phone basicaly draining itself in less than 7 hours.

I've been on my hotspot for 2 hours and am at 80% battery. Posting from it now at work.

Kinda OT, but it seems to all androids are like this. My Hero will kill itself over night sitting idle as well. It's already been swapped out once, and I'm only a few months from upgrade, but this thing is dumb.

Kinda OT, but it seems to all androids are like this. My Hero will kill itself over night sitting idle as well. It's already been swapped out once, and I'm only a few months from upgrade, but this thing is dumb.

All phones are like that. Once you get in the land of the warranty its hard to get out of it.

Does your phone gethot in like 10 seconds when you use data?

No, only Androids with HTC Sense seem to be extra power hungry, now throw in 4G and sprinkle some CDMA on top of that and you will see less battery life.

There is a lot of unneeded stuff running in this thing. I have not charged my phone since noon yesterday and it still has 10% left. Thats 25 hours of battery, and use. I will admit the calls were very limited, but I'm guessing with a normal day worth of calls you could easily get a 15-16 hours out of it (once a day charge overnight).

Here is what I did..

-Turn of continuous internet connection

-Turn of sync for stuff like stocks, back up assistance, and news if you dont use those apps

- Go into running services after powering the phone on to see what apps are set to run. That way when you download new apps you know which ones can be disabled if needed. If you know what you are doing you can even disable some of the default running services. If you dont know what you are doing do not do this!

- HTC sense facebook has a live feed.. if you are popular your battery will hate you! Turn off the live feed if you can live with only getting hourly updates. I set my updates to 4 hours. If I want to see what people are doing I can just go online and look.

- Dont run useless widgets in the background if you dont have to. Most of them stay connected and update constantly.

- Have weather update ever 3 hours if you can. I like to know what messed up Ohio has in store for me so I do that hourly.

- Avoid live wallpaper. It looks cool but is a huge battery killer on almost all android phones.

Anyone having trouble test this out. Another thing I thought of is to have you look at your connection strength and signal. If you are on the edge of 4g/basic signal your phone will have to work a lot harder to hold a signal. Stopping the constant connection with help with 4g, but with your basic wireless connection it will not. That in itself will drain the battery. Also keep in mind that the fail percentage on new phones is higher. If you got one from a bad batch now is the time to swap it out before you are stuck getting a refurbished one later on.. which will more than likely be a fixed phone from someone that had the same issues you have now.

I wanted to get this phone but it sounds like you have to shut half the phone off to make it work lol

I wanted to get this phone but it sounds like you have to shut half the phone off to make it work lol

:lol: The phone runs a bunch of crap you dont need. For some reason phone manufacturers think people actually want this stuff. If I could root my damn phone I would just to delete the dumb stuff Verizon and HTC added. I am seriously not going to pay for the navigator when googles is free and works better.

• 3 weeks later...

Verizon's 4G is down and 4G phones are being forced into 1x mode. But there is a fix to force 3G. The cool thing is that this will likely work for people who want a longer battery life too.

Bring up the phone and enter ##778# then dial

A menu will pop up. Choose Edit Mode

It will ask for a password. Enter 000000 (six zeroes)

A settings screen will come up. Choose Modem Settings

On the next screen choose Rev.A

Select Enable

Then hit your phone menu and Commit.

After the reboot, it will show 1X then change to 3G after a moment.