If you are thinking about getting the Thunderbolt...

V8 Beast

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone else had to turn off javascript in the factory browser to keep it from force closing? It would load sites and go back to the home screen without warning. Hum...

Tom

Nope... Hope you didn't get a lemon. You only have 14 days to get a new one so don't wait to find out what's going on.

Faster over that air than cable or DSL, oh, and you can take it with you. Why is there terrestrial based Internet access anymore?

I think that if you work in a residential Internet provider that isn't delivering via wireless, you are working in a dead technology. Landline anyone?

Eventually, I think this is where internet service will go. But while it's perfectly ok to switch to only having a cell phone, internet service isn't ready for a total changeover yet. Maybe those who only browse and get e-mail and do the occasional You-tubing can make the switch now, but heavier users, or users that want lower latencies (gamers) will want to stick with landlines.

I'm pretty sure my Thunderbolt is dropping text messages. I'm not sure if it's not sending, or not receiving. But I've sent 10 since getting it and have had only one reply. This is not good.

This has been documented. Try a restart and it should be fine. It sends the SIM number sometimes.

This has been documented. Try a restart and it should be fine. It sends the SIM number sometimes.

The official fix for this is to turn off all of the location settings, turn them back on and then restart the phone. Talked to Verizon tech support on the morning the phone came out at about 11:00 am and they said they've had numerous calls and already had the fix. So glad they delayed the release for the phone and still didn't fix shit as basic as texting.....

On a positive note, now that most of the bugs have been worked out, I love my Thunderbolt.

The phone is nice. Call sound quality is excellent.

But the battery life is amazingly bad. When I mentioned that I thought I could get at least 24 hours out of the battery to a coworker, he just laughed. I bought a car charger so I could listen to Pandora in the car. So I arrived at work with a full battery. It was almost dead at the end of my 8 hour shift and I hardly used it. They make a bigger battery, but it requires a larger backing plate which means my case won't fit it.

I'm just amazed that battery life this short is considered acceptable. I'll figure out a method to keep it charged, but it's just surprising. Part of it is that it seems like everything you do on the phone just stays running. And since nearly all apps lack a simple exit button, that means everything I do will just compound the issue. I think the task killer app will be one of my most used apps.

Overall it's a good phone. I think it's the software that's letting the hardware down. I expected better from the phone market, and I'm amazed that all the crashing apps, short battery life, and other little issues are accepted as normal by the general public. Being into computers for most of my life, I have a pretty high tolerance for finicky software. But when it's stupid stuff that should be written or designed better, it frustrates me.

I'm not regretting the purchase. I knew there would have to be some behavioral changes on my part with the new phone. I just overestimated the state of the smartphone industry. This is still Windows 95 territory here. We're seeing the shape of the future in the phones now, but they have a long way to go until they are a polished product.

(And no, iPhone is not an option. Open platforms may mature slower than proprietary ones, but their potential is many times greater.)

I bought it as well. Im on the boarder though for my purchase.

My overclocked, rom'd Droid1 runs circles around this TB in battery life. The LCD on my D1 is MUCH brighter and more "white" in the whites as well, MUCH nicer. The TB LCD definitely is the biggest upset to me I think.

The battery life is also beyond terrible and completely unacceptable. With hardly any use at all it lasted less than 6hrs from full to dead and off. This was with no account syncs and on a few small widgets, definitely not good.

I have another 12 days to decide whether or not to keep mine, Im leaning towards taking it back for sure. Im excited to see what Cyanogenmod comes out with for roms (CM7) but they cant fix my big upset (the screen) for sure.

For a phone thats twice as fast as a Droid 1 with a screen much larger, AND 4G.. Im SHOCKED they put a shitty ass, cheap as F 1400mah battery in it. My Droid 1 stock battery is just a few mah shy of that!!!!!! Unacceptable.

You literally CANT be away from the charger, so heaven forbid youre on vacation for a weekend and cant get back to the hotel room for a few hours.

The only way you can own this phone is by keeping the charger in your pocket. 31% left now, Ive sent 3 txts and received 1 email so far today on it. My biggest regret today so far is not having my D1 with me to reactivate it right NOW.

You literally CANT be away from the charger, so heaven forbid youre on vacation for a weekend and cant get back to the hotel room for a few hours.

The only way you can own this phone is by keeping the charger in your pocket. 31% left now, Ive sent 3 txts and received 1 email so far today on it. My biggest regret today so far is not having my D1 with me to reactivate it right NOW.

Its not that bad for me. I'm litterally on vacation now and get 10 - 12 hours out of it. Im on the beach right now typing to you with my inlaws using their 2 laptops to do work through the hotspot, and a bunch of happy birthday texts being sent to me. We have been here for 3 hours and I have 60% left. Sounds like you may need a new one. Its a 2 charge a day phone, somehow you got a 3 charge a day phone.

Just thought of something... what apps do you have running in the background? The battery life is shitty but is shouldnt be that shitty.

I'm trying to stay on top of the background apps today and see if the battery lasts longer.

Another option is to try and force 3G for when I don't need the 4G speeds. That will be my next thing to try tomorrow. If I still can't make it through a work day with light useage, I'll have to take it back.

I manually forced it into 3G mode and it saves battery yes. The manual flip is a pain in the ass though and you have to put it into airplane mode to hit 4G after switching back.

The deal breaker for me is really the screen, I simply dont care for it at all. My D1 has much nicer colors and whiter whites.

Brian youll notice the huge battery cut when youre in 4G just wait and see lol

Well, 8 hour shift is over and I have 40% battery remaining with heavier usage than yesterday. I used ES Task Manager. It gives you a widget that kills excess tasks with one tap. So I just kept on top of the stuff that was running by hitting that widget whenever I put the phone away.

Now if only I could root this thing so I don't have to dtjis in the first place.

Update:

Rooted (new with S off) so it's fully unlocked and ready to rock.

Why would you want to?

As it turns out in back to back tests conducted today, Verizon limits the wireless tethering app to around 3mb. If you root it, you can install wireless tether and average 16mb down and 4-5 up via wireless.

I'm typing this now from a usb tethered connection to my thunderbolt on my main PC.

Downloading a movie @ 15.5mb while on CR as well. It can quite literally replace your home internet connection.

What's next ?

Find a way of teaming NIC teaming so I can have a 30Mb+ down when I'm at home.

:)

Get one, and get one now...

EDIT:

Did some testing with a very thorough speed test site I highly recommend: http://www.ispgeeks.com/wild/modules.php?name=CapacityTest

It takes a while but produces excellent and accurate resulsts (it can also measure large 100mb connections fyi)

http://www.columbusht.com/dump//uploads/thunderbolt.JPG