"As I understand it, the Libyan people will welcome us with open arms..."

Casper

Lots of them. Watch the news, read any news site, etc. Obama is obviously scared of the "i" word; he handed over all control to congress just a little bit ago.

I will .. i just haven't had anytime to watch tv or even really peruse the news. I have been solely focused tsunami news, and tiling/remodeling my house this past week.

Ill read more into this week so much crazy shit going on!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...So why are we attacking Libya but not helping in the Congo or anywhere else were human rights violations run rampant?

So post up your facts man! Let's see it!

Mosquitoes.

The funny part is that a democrat from Ohio is calling for Obama to be impeached. Obama had no authority to order the missle strike. The president can't do that without congress, because Libya poses no DIRECT threat to America. :o

Won't work. The US isn't technically in a war. We're running a humanitarian support mission for the UN in conjunction with our allies. See? Not a war. ;)

9 times out of 10, there are boots on the ground when conducting air strikes. The British SAS have already carried out atleast one rescue operation. It wouldn't surprise me in 3rd Special Forces Group is operating there now. The tip of the spear is always the quiet and unheard about part of the equation, similar to Afghanistan and Iraq.

So could someone politely explain how this crisis in Libya came to be? Im really not understanding who we are fighting for, and how itll prove to help us in anyway. I would appreciate it.
We are supporting the rebels attempting to overthrow the government. They have not attacked us, or any allies. They haven't attacked anyone outside of their own country.

I love Stillman. :)

-Marc

he gets better after 2 beers
Two beers for me or two beers for you? Both make the situation more fun, I agree. :D
  • Confused 1

9 times out of 10, there are boots on the ground when conducting air strikes. The British SAS have already carried out atleast one rescue operation. It wouldn't surprise me in 3rd Special Forces Group is operating there now. The tip of the spear is always the quiet and unheard about part of the equation, similar to Afghanistan and Iraq.

I was wondering why I had not heard from my friend who is in Special Forces.....

I was wondering why I had not heard from my friend who is in Special Forces.....

There's always someone, somewhere when we kick off the fun.

Here's an interesting read from the man known as Ted Nuggent.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/mar/21/the-gadhafi-precedent/?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4d89ff858a636633%2C0

There's always someone, somewhere when we kick off the fun.

Here's an interesting read from the man known as Ted Nuggent.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/mar/21/the-gadhafi-precedent/?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4d89ff858a636633%2C0

You think there is force recon in there? That is what walk-dog does I think. He loves to blow shit up.

You think there is force recon in there? That is what walk-dog does I think. He loves to blow shit up.

MARSOC joined the SOCOM family a little bit ago. From my understanding this is AFCOM's deal or African Command. Which is lead by the Army, so this might be an Army Air Force thing, but the Navy and Marine Corps are right there in striking distance too. The Marines were the ones that scooped up the F-15 that had mechanical failure.

Do we have troops on the ground? Besides the ones that crashed their f-15 that is... I haven't been paying attention to this one since I have shit to do. But from what I've heard we are dropping bombs and firing cruise missiles... I don't consider dropping bombs and 112 cruise missiles the same thing as moving over tens of thousands of troops... But that's just me. I'm perfectly fine with them blowing shit up as long as it's other people getting blown up. I just don't like the whole part where we get shot/blown up ;)

Plus from what I heard thrown out today we have spent a few hundred million so far on the bombs and all. Do people forget how man Billions we spent in Iraq and Afghanistan?

That's pocket change in comparison.

I'm personally more worried about how issue 5 is going to fuck me over :(

Also, I didn't read anything past the first few posts. So if it's been answered already then I'll kick myself right in the dick n the balls.

• Confused 1

Do we have troops on the ground? Besides the ones that crashed their f-15 that is... I haven't been paying attention to this one since I have shit to do. But from what I've heard we are dropping bombs and firing cruise missiles... I don't consider dropping bombs and 112 cruise missiles the same thing as moving over tens of thousands of troops... But that's just me.

We always have troops on the ground, but you'll never hear or know about it. They're not always US Military, but usually we have advisors on the ground anywhere we operate. When Afghanistan and Iraq both kicked off, we had Special Operations already doing their business as usual. Libya is no different, and the British SAS has already conducted some operations, just not involving targeting opposition. They've been doing rescue operations for their own people as of now, but I don't put it past them to operate like we do. It takes eyes on, to make sure targets are choosen.

So could someone politely explain how this crisis in Libya came to be? Im really not understanding who we are fighting for, and how itll prove to help us in anyway. I would appreciate it.

This is a N-th hand recounting, so some of the facts may be wrong, but I think I have the basics straight:

The people of Egypt got pissed off at their government and revolted. It ended up being largely successful with the questionable leadership leaving town on a fast bus to someplace else.

This encouraged the people of other countries in the area to do the same thing with varying degrees of success.

In Libya, however, things went pear-shaped. Seems the leadership has control issues (moreso than most) and turned out to be bat-shit insane. Rather than dealing with the uprisings with restraint, they brought out the big guns and started mowing down their own citizens. Apparently they even ordered their airforce to do strafing runs of the demonstrations.

Some of the military decided the peopel had it right and started to help them. At one point they occupied most of the capitol city. But then the leadership found some bigger guns and people who are equally as corrupt to fire them and took back most of what they lost.

So now it's a warzone of irregulars vs trained military. Kind of like our revolutionary war (tactics wise) but bloodier and with heavy ordinance. This has apparently horrified their neighbors who want to wash their hands of the whole bloody mess. This is why the UN has given some go-aheads for outside military intervention.

Why are we involved? Oil of course. But there are human rights issues too that need to be addressed. So it looks like we're going to stick our fingers in the middle-east pot again. Hopefully we won't stir up the nasty stuff at the bottom again.

And that's my half-assed understanding of what's going on in the world's armpit.

We always have troops on the ground, but you'll never hear or know about it. They're not always US Military, but usually we have advisors on the ground anywhere we operate. When Afghanistan and Iraq both kicked off, we had Special Operations already doing their business as usual. Libya is no different, and the British SAS has already conducted some operations, just not involving targeting opposition. They've been doing rescue operations for their own people as of now, but I don't put it past them to operate like we do. It takes eyes on, to make sure targets are choosen.

So is that a no? I'm sure we have special ops guys everywhere but as of right now we don't have the actual "army" over there like we have in Iraq, Afghanistan, Japan, Germany... :D

So is that a no? I'm sure we have special ops guys everywhere but as of right now we don't have the actual "army" over there like we have in Iraq, Afghanistan, Japan, Germany... :D

Conventional forces IE Regular Army and Marine Corps are not on ground. But yes, the Special Operations community is probably conducting operations at the moment. There is no call for direct action on the ground. The US Army has its hands tied up at the moment, so the Marine Corps would probably be the best available asset to assist at the moment.

I'd love to see the shit these guys do, just because we never get to hear about it otherwise.

There's a reason for it. Some light is starting to be shed on the Delta community from the past missions such as Panama to the beginning of Afghanistan in 01'. If everyone knew, then the covert factor went out the door, along with costing lives. They tend to thrive on being out numbered, which doesn't mean a whole lot. As amazing as our precision weapons are, satellites, UAV's and what not, you still need those sneaky men on the ground. The SF compound @ FT.Bragg is locked down tighter than a tick's ass. Funny thing is, bits and pieces from the show The Unit, were loosely based on real world operations.

There's a reason for it. Some light is starting to be shed on the Delta community from the past missions such as Panama to the beginning of Afghanistan in 01'. If everyone knew, then the covert factor went out the door, along with costing lives. They tend to thrive on being out numbered, which doesn't mean a whole lot. As amazing as our precision weapons are, satellites, UAV's and what not, you still need those sneaky men on the ground. The SF compound @ FT.Bragg is locked down tighter than a tick's ass. Funny thing is, bits and pieces from the show The Unit, were loosely based on real world operations.

meh not really I just ate chow there for lunch, now the delta compound on the other hand

I meant the Delta compound, sorry. Once upon a time I wanted to give it a shot, but there's a bit involved in the process.

What? You mean you can't just walk up and say, "Dude! You guys ROCK! I got my gun, I got my bandana, I got my camo pants. LET'S DO THIS!" and expect them to let you in? Damn. There go my weekend plans. :D

I meant the Delta compound, sorry. Once upon a time I wanted to give it a shot, but there's a bit involved in the process.

Dude my platoon sergeant just got selected for CAG back in aug, and he is a beast.

"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." -Senator Barack Obama, 12/20/2007.