Thinking of getting a Grand Prix GXP. Ideas?

Ackbar00

Been thinking of getting one for a beater. I love my 97 GTP, its just getting along in age and thought this looked like a cool beater. Anyone on here ever have one? Anything I should look out for? I heard all their power is locked away in their exhaust. I dont plan on modifing the piss out of it, mabye just a few bolt ons. Anywhoo, just seeing if anyone had one.

Interesting, I wouldn't consider it a beater. They're good cars but they love to eat transmissions for lunch. GM put too weak of a transmission behind the motor. So it is a matter of "WHEN", not a matter of "IF" the transmission will fail.

I test drove 3 GXP's and ended up buying a CR member's GTP Comp-G with several mods (pulley, exhaust, suspension, cosmetics). It feels easily quicker than the stock GXPs, gets great mpg if you keep your foot out of it.

I'm thinking of selling it, too, BTW. :)

I've now owned 3 GTPs and a GT.

Never had the first bit of transmission issues, and all were over, or at, 100k miles. The problem with the internet is that when a million of something is produced, and 5% of them break - usually after people push them past what they were intended for - those 5% run online and bitch about them breaking.

Then, anyone and everyone who has ever joined a car forum reads reviews from those 5% and go and spread that info to every thread to ever be created about that product, regardless if they have ever even owned that product.

My $.02 that nobody asked for. Carry on.

yeah, my 97 GTP has 204k miles on it and has never had a lick on tranny trouble. I had a deal locked in on an 04 Comp G, but the buyer backed out last second. Would LOVE a G8 or an GTO for a beater, they are just a bit out of my price range.

Background - ANYTHING that is not my Mustang, is considered a beater ;)

If you plan on selling your Comp G, let me know.

rofl at the guy who mentions a G8 or a GTO as his daily beater, yet his prized possesion is a nearly 20 year old foxbody^^

i'd rock one for sure. i need four doors, hence the reason i will probably be selling my 26k mile 'beater' GTO this summer. i won't be getting a GTP though as a replacement

Edited by kirks5oh

The only cool thing about them is the V8 sound and even that isn't great. They have staggered tires, a cramped engine bay, the active fuel management is crap, and like most GMs the trans is weak. We don't get many of these in at work, but the few I've driven or worked on aren't anything special. I'd much rather have a Supercharged 3800.

i almost bought one a few yrs ago, but ended up buying my TA instead. a good friend of mine bought one last year and has already had to replace the trans at 58k miles, mostly highway too. other than the trans he hasnt had any probs at all, id love to have one as a daily