CCW for the wife.

Otis Nice

Selling my carbine and her pistol so we can get her a good quality CCW. She's 5'1" and wears a size 4 1/2 ring. The JA .380 was too hard for her to rack. I'm looking for something simple to use, reliable, and simple to use. Did I say that? I need to know she can actually get a round off if she actually needs to. She's open to any caliber and any type, including revovler, as long as it works for her and feels right.

We've looked at the ACP and a few others simliar to it. She's shot my brothers Walther P22 but wasn't too fond of it.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Chambering a round shouldn't be that much of an issue, it's pointless to carry without a chamber in the round.

Take a look at this girls youtube channel. She has a lot of good info for women who carry. Maybe you'd look into an LCR.

http://www.youtube.com/user/faliaphotography

My wife is small too and carries a .357. She's very comfortable with a revolver and is an excellent shot. Goes with her everywhere.

If that's too big, an even smaller 5 shot 38 would work.

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg378/pdqgp/Weapons/swairweightsizesbi.jpg

Are you a fan of a Bersa? Too big still? Cheap and it works.

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg378/pdqgp/Weapons/bersa380.jpg

The size of the JA fit her well. Her problem was the spring. The drawback was tough as tits since it was a blowback (like HiPoint pistols). She has had carporal tunnel (sp) in her wrist and it's not easy to work with a cheaply designed weapon.

She like the revolver, especially a 38 special w/o hammer she tried at OVO. I don't have anything to say either way about Bersa's since we haven't used them, but I'll definitely keep it in mind.

How does your wife carry her 38?

EDIT: Also, .380 is effin' expensive compared to my 9mm and bro's .22 (of course). I know 38 doesn't lend a hand to this but something in 9mm would be nice. In the end I really need to know shes comfortable with it and can use it if needed. I'd pay anything for her safety. Just eats at my pockets to take all of our arsenal shooting so if I can save on ammo it'll help. :)

EDIT 2: Sorry, didn't see this before for some reason.

Chambering a round shouldn't be that much of an issue, it's pointless to carry without a chamber in the round.

Take a look at this girls youtube channel. She has a lot of good info for women who carry. Maybe you'd look into an LCR.

http://www.youtube.com/user/faliaphotography

I'll watch the vid at home. If you saw the .380 you wouldn't carry with a round in it either. Simple sprind design. Not the safest, and this is another reason I'm upgrading her. It's not a terrible gun, but I jsut don't feel comfortable with this particular one being carried with a chambered round.

LCR's have been a possibility. Buddy just got one. I'm going to have her test his. Thanks for the info. :)

Fiancee carries a Walther PPK .380 or a S&W 442. She is 5'0 110 lbs

She carries the 442 most of the time, but when she sees emergencies she takes the Walther because she is more accurate with it and it holds more rounds.

How does your wife carry her 38?)

She carries a .357 in either a shoulder style rig or in a waist holster that her belt goes through. Depends on how she's dressed. She likes the shoulder rig as she often wears jackets and it conceals so well. Sometimes she just puts it in her purse and she will appear to have her hand on/in her purse, but often it's on the gun. She's funny like that.

Khar PM9. So far every woman I know that had tried it out say it's their favorite. That being said I think the price is a little steep for what you get.

The Kahr CW9 is a pretty good deal (<$400 last I looked). It's functionally the same as the P9, just some cost cutting on the non-essentials. It's about the size of a Walther or Bersa .380. You get the punch/value of 9mm ammo in a small package. The PM has a shorter grip, making it a tad easier to conceal, but I have no issues concealing a P9 even in summer with only a t-shirt on.

The only issue you might have is that if she's recoil-sensitive, she may find the recoil to be a bit heavy because it's so light. Most women who have shot my P9 have no issue with it though. I would say recoil is about on par with the Blowback .380s anyway.

Edit: Above all - it's super-simple to use.

Edited by twistedfocus

Thanks all. Once the 995ts is sold I'll be checking these out. Time to go to OVO, Vances, and Gun Envy. :)

Go to Buckeye Outdoors in Hebron rather than Vances, the experience is typically much more enjoyable, and it's basically the same store

Go to Buckeye Outdoors in Hebron rather than Vances, the experience is typically much more enjoyable, and it's basically the same store

Thanks. I'll look into it. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions to the rest of you too. We have some serious shopping to do. :)

CZ82?

Never looked into one. Will do. Thanks. ;)

Going shopping tomorrow! Heading to OVO since my brother has to pick up his 12g anyways. If we don't find anything there we'll head to Buckeye Valley. I'll let you all know if we find anything.

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure how you or her feel about the s&w m&p 9mm compact, but I got it partly because my wife can use it as well since it has interchangeable palm swells. Not sure how it compares price wise to others but I got mine for $400. The wife likes it and doesn't have much problems with it considering its the first gun she's ever shot.

I got an LCR for my wife as a bedside table gun but I like it so much I carry it around the house and property. It is light, very ergonomic, sweet trigger pull and pretty cheap too. Not sure how much the night sight would really help with aim in a break-in situation with your adrenaline flowing...but it sure makes it easy to see and grab in a dark room.