Will we ever see a new Ferio?

greg1647545532

The Fiero was created in response to the MR-2 and (arguably) the CRX. The CRX being unarguably the superior execution, since the front engine design left room for a usable hatch, and an aluminum 109hp 4-banger really wasn't enough to overload the front wheels.

The Fiero was a noble effort. Being mid-engined, they could afford to throw more displacement at the problem. Unfortunately, engine tech and emissions restrictions in the 80s meant that the "big" V6 was a wheezy, underpowered piece of shit.

If they tried to recreate the CRX today (mention CR-Z and I'll cut you), it would be a disaster. Cars are too heavy, so it would either be underpowered, or if they put a sufficient powerplant into it, it would be too front-heavy and succumb to the perils of FWD.

However, if anyone tried to recreate the Fiero , they'd have an aluminum 300hp V6 at their disposal. And I'm not just talking GM. Everyone has an aluminum 300hp V6 that would put an NSX to shame. They're all derived from boring sedan motors bred for durability, they're all being produced in massive numbers, and they'd all be perfect in the middle of a 2800 lb coupe.

OTOH, no automaker currently has a cheap mid-engine platform, and with the death of the last MR-2, I can't see anyone resurrecting one. I feel like we've finally got a dearth of great V6 engines, and crash test standards and economics of scale mean we'll never put them in anything awesome.

Any rebuttal?

Edited by greg

The Ferio was created in response to the MR-2 and (arguably) the CRX. The CRX being unarguably the superior execution, since the front engine design left room for a usable hatch, and an aluminum 109hp 4-banger really wasn't enough to overload the front wheels.

The Ferio was a noble effort. Being mid-engined, they could afford to throw more displacement at the problem. Unfortunately, engine tech and emissions restrictions in the 80s meant that the "big" V6 was a wheezy, underpowered piece of shit.

If they tried to recreate the CRX today (mention CR-Z and I'll cut you), it would be a disaster. Cars are too heavy, so it would either be underpowered, or if they put a sufficient powerplant into it, it would be too front-heavy and succumb to the perils of FWD.

However, if anyone tried to recreate the Ferio, they'd have an aluminum 300hp V6 at their disposal. And I'm not just talking GM. Everyone has an aluminum 300hp V6 that would put an NSX to shame. They're all derived from boring sedan motors bred for durability, they're all being produced in massive numbers, and they'd all be perfect in the middle of a 2800 lb coupe.

OTOH, no automaker currently has a cheap mid-engine platform, and with the death of the last MR-2, I can't see anyone resurrecting one. I feel like we've finally got a dearth of great V6 engines, and crash test standards and economics of scale mean we'll never put them in anything awesome.

Any rebuttal?

yeah it is spelled "Fiero". :gtfo:

I had an 88 GT.

Fiero

No, you'll never see another one. Automakers are too busy making money hand-over-fist on shit like V6 Mustangs to worry about the cool cars they could make for comparatively small group of enthusiasts. I'm not saying there aren't some cool similar cars available these days, but very few and not for a reasonable price in my opinion.

Ok, so it's style hasn't aged well. I still love the whole idea. So many became kit cars because they were as close to a modular production car as we are going to see. I'd love it if more cars were built with maintenance and modification in mind.