Help me pick a gas trimmer

Nitrousbird

I am having trouble deciding on a gas trimmer to purchase. I currently have an older 25cc Craftsman that runs well, but just doesn't have the power I need. It can do the basic grass trimming around the house and driveway, but doesn't have the power to get through the thick stuff.

I'd love a full on commercial trimmer, but I'm not willing to spend $400+ on a gas trimmer, and is likely overkill for my needs. I need to trim through some minor brush and tall grass. I have also found that cc rating on trimmers can be pretty useless, as a good 21cc trimmer can make more power than a cheap-o 30cc unit.

The two I have found I am interested in:

Low end of price scale: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140528705291&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

High-end: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230588872603&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The Craftsman looks like it would get the job done, and is a good deal @ $92 shipped. The Husqvarna is the lowest model of real Husqvarna's (below that they are rebadged Polans). The Husqvarna is a nicer trimmer, but is it worth the $100 price difference?

I haven't found anything price wise between those two trimmer worth considering. Help me pick which one to buy.

Dont take this the wrong way, but are you incapable of making a purchase on your own without seeking the opinions of CR? It seems every few days you post about wanting to buy something but its like when its time to choose, you freak out because you havent run it by the local forum.

Its a fuckin weed eater. Lowes website has reviews for people like you. Find one ranked high enough, buy, profit.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Dont take this the wrong way, but are you incapable of making a purchase on your own without seeking the opinions of CR? It seems every few days you post about wanting to buy something but its like when its time to choose, you freak out because you havent run it by the local forum.

Its a fuckin weed eater. Lowes website has reviews for people like you. Find one ranked high enough, buy, profit.

LOL. my thoughts exactly

I would not buy either one of those. Buy in this order Redmax,Stihl,Echo. I use this stuff everyday and have tried them all. Get a well known commercial brand and buy the lightest and smallest engine that they offer it help bring the price down but yet it will still be plenty strong for a home owner. I have owned half a dozen redmax line trimmers. The last one I bought was their lowest grade commercial. It is going on 2 years everyday usage and still starts on the second pull and runs strong. I also have 3 redmax hedger trimmers that still run strong after 7 + years of use and one redmax back pack blower that is 10 years old.It is a little more money but it will be the last trimmer you buy.

I have a honda, but i got 2 discounts, 1 from the power store and 1 from honda scervice center. even after that it was $225 bucks . . . but it is the last trimmer i will ever have to buy.

A lot of people are getting into this habit on CR...

Some of us like to be informed consumers. Have you ever actually looked at a Lowes / Home Depot review? It's like a bunch of house wives reviewed products. At least here there are groups of people that deal with products like these as part of their business, or mechanically enclined people who understand the use and needs of different products. Sorry that I want to acutally make the best kind of purchase I can, and spend my money once - I like getting input from multiple sources.

For everyone else, thanks for the input. I've read too many mixed reviews on Ryobi to choose them.

For Redmax, the cheapest I could find that was a straight shaft was $210+shipping - a bit more than I want to spend on a trimmer. For the Echo's, what is the minimum model to go with that worth buying? The Stihl's all seem pretty pricey.

In all seriousness I could not recommend an echo trimmer because I have not owned a line trimmer by them. The Echo products I have owned just did not seem to be as reliable as others. That Redmax for 210 will be very hard to beat. What model # is it.