Positive PR for Columbus Racing and Sponsors

dover

I have been throwing around ideas to better Columbus Racing's image to the public. As well all know over the course of the years we have been the one getting the finger pointed at for street racing accidents and other things, but now is the time to possibly change that. I know the idea has to have been thought of or maybe coordinated at one time. But in my couple years here I haven't been to one nor I have I heard of one.

What I was thinking was a joint car show/bike show/cook out of Columbus Racing and some/all sponsors with proceeds going to a charity of sort. Public relations shouldn't be to difficult. With the 1000's of members here someone has to have a connection with local media. I have devised a checklist of the needs. I would like honest opinions on what to do here.

Public Relations:

1. Columbus Dispatch

2. Local TV News/Media

3. Internet

4. Word of Mouth

5. Flyers

Entertainment:

1. A local band

2. DJ

Food:

1. Concession Stands (Run by CR) Proceeds being donated to charity of choice

Sponsors:

1. IPS ?

2. PPC ?

3. DTM ?

4. Independent Motorsports ?

5. Etc..

6. Each sponsor could donate a prize for the bike/car show. Could be used as a tax deductible donation. Set up a booth and display your most recent projects or cars/bikes for sale.

Car Show/Bike Show:

1. Top 3 receive trophy

2. Judges can be selected on Columbus Racing.

1. Obviously this topic is up for debate

Time/date:

1. Clearly coordinate for a couple months out with it being an afternoon weekend event.

Security:

1. Hire an outside police officer to come and patrol?

Price/Admission:

1. Obviously debatable per car/bike

2. Free entry other wise?

With the correct planning and the amount of people we have here this could take off with it carrying on from year to year. It would be a good opportunity to take the "street racer stupid kid" image off CR and label it as a aide to the community.

The object here would be to make this fun for the entire family and not just people drastically interested in cars and bikes. That way we can relate to more of the community and bring more people out.

Again please post with opinions and ideas. This is just a basis of things to come. If CR doesn't want to take part in this, I will most likely take this on myself to get this squared away.

Thanks for reading through.

Well regardless its a good opportunity to create some kind of charitable event to help people. That is something we all need to do more.

I'm down to help out, and I think its a great idea. No reason for us not to at least make an attempt at it.

Dover, I personally think this idea is great. Big ups to you for taking the initiative on this.

I'd suggest having the event in some parking lot near a restaurant where car people like to hang out - Hooters or Roosters, for example. (This versus having it like in just some random parking lot.) That would take care of people's needs for food, drinks, and restrooms.

I definitely like the idea of having some kind of entertainment there - a band or DJ or something. Music, drinks, and cars - I can dig that mix.

I especially like the idea of hiring off-duty CPD to moonlight as security. The more police the better, I say. Make it a very controlled event - if your going for improved public relations, the last thing you'd want is some retards making some antisocial spectacle at the event, you know?

Those are just my thoughts for now. Again, kudos to you for bringing this up.

All the previous events were to benefit members and car enthusiasts only, this would be for a charity, the community, and Columbus racing. I will be home soon and have allot more free time to apply to this and have it situated.

They had (I think have every year) a car show in Westerville for Autism and all the proceeds go to an Autism foundation. I said something about it a few years ago and Jones got pissed because it was for Autism and not diabetes or something along those lines....

We are blamed because thats what a lot of the people here do. They go out to "Mexico" on random nights then come here and report what happened. We have bad pr because in a way we deserve it. When people try and take a stance against the activities that make the site look bad people get upset. I'm against doing it for PR as a way to pull the wool over other peoples eyes.. but I am 100% in favor of doing it to help people in need. Just let me know what you need help with and I'm there bro.

Edit: Just wanted to say I know the majority of the people here race responsibly. I just think a CR that helps out behinds the scenes is better than one thats in the public eye.

Edited by V8 Beast

We are blamed because thats what a lot of the people here do. They go out to "Mexico" on random nights then come here and report what happened. We have bad pr because in a way we deserve it. When people try and take a stance against the activities that make the site look bad people get upset. I'm against doing it for PR as a way to pull the wool over other peoples eyes.. but I am 100% in favor of doing it to help people in need. Just let me know what you need help with and I'm there bro.

Edit: Just wanted to say I know the majority of the people here race responsibly. I just think a CR that helps out behinds the scenes is better than one thats in the public eye.

I totally agree with Brian. This in mexico bullshit erases what you are trying to do.

However, I am all about using the power of the automotive and bike community to raise money to help those in need. We donated 100% of the money from the Lucky's car show to A Kid Again 2 years ago.

Dover I would like to help, have some limited connection to people in the media, and some ideas. Let me finish class and get moved before I jump in.

I'm down for helping, but I agree that it won't help our image for the exact reasons BC listed. That doesn't mean we shouldn't do it, helping out the community is always a good thing to do, but I don't expect any respect in return for doing it.

Anything we do that benefits the community will be recognized by businesses and consumers alike which will lead to leaders in our community and the media to recognize it, as well. This way, maybe we're not the first ones to have fingers pointed at us when something auto related goes bad and maybe, when we'd like to do something that involves public and private property and/or involves the public, we're more likely to get a city that approves and a community that is willing and open.

What goes around comes around, anyway.

Besides, if nothing else, you do good things to do them, not because you expect something in return. ;)

Ill be the guy doing burnouts across the street!!!

Love how we have threads like this... sometimes they are by people who are truly against street racing, but then we have some like this... I have witnessed 25% of the people in this thread street racing. Including the OP.

Columbus Racing does not condone illegal street racing.