My new Tow Vehicle!

Draco-REX

:lolguy:

So, someone with sharp eyes over on COS figured out who the previous owner was via the shape of the flat paint. Apparently it was the "Jambulance" for Bullet Jones.

http://a1.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/76/d8474ffb53143ce14ae72f190813a223/l.jpg

So, it's possible that while lives were lost in it, some may have been created as well. ;)

Now we can be certain of one thing. Many brain cells died in that ambulance.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, it looks like one of the circuit boards in the electrical cabinet is having issues. I can only get the vehicle lights working. Perfectly fine for a tow vehicle, but I want the module operational also. So I'm going to contact the company that built it, and the one that made the board and see if I can get some help. (Both are in Goshen IN, which is the birthplace of nearly every ambulance in the US apparently.) Hopefully, since it's 20 years old, I can get the wiring diagram and maybe even source an old replacement board.

Worst-case, the board that's fried just interprets the momentary-on switches and signals a second board to fire the appropriate relay. I can bypass the first board and just use toggle switches. But it'll take a LOT of messing around with a circuit tester if I can't get the wiring diagram.

The lights in the picture above can be forced on with a couple master switches on the second board. So the basics work. But I think those right-side floods are spliced on, because they can't be turned off without pulling the fuse for the board.

So this will be an interesting project. Luckily I don't hate electrical work. :)

:lolguy:

So, someone with sharp eyes over on COS figured out who the previous owner was via the shape of the flat paint. Apparently it was the "Jambulance" for Bullet Jones.

http://a1.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/76/d8474ffb53143ce14ae72f190813a223/l.jpg

So, it's possible that while lives were lost in it, some may have been created as well. ;)

LOL, I just saw this thread but first thought was "OMG HE BOUGHT THE JAMBULANCE!!!". I used to hang out with the guys from BJ, way back even when they were "Formerly Quaters"

LOL, I just saw this thread but first thought was "OMG HE BOUGHT THE JAMBULANCE!!!". I used to hang out with the guys from BJ, way back even when they were "Formerly Quaters"

Yup.. So the Jambulance is still alive.. sorta.

I've been hunting used trailers and have had little luck. The best hit was a 14' utility trailer with no brakes or lights for $1000. So for shitzengiggles I started looking at new ones. Apparently, trailers don't depreciate much. A new car trailer wasn't much more than the used ones I was looking at. One was $1850 and had brakes. So for a bit more, I'll get a new trailer with no problems, working lights, a warranty, and brakes. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Tomorrow I'll get Tug re-wired and put in a brake controller. Then Saturday I'll pick up a trailer. It is going to be so nice to go to an event and not have to change all four tires twice.

Still no headway on the electrical, but that's mostly for a lack of trying. I'm going to have to do the calling around on my lunch breaks.

Stuff to do (in no particular order):

Clean the inside!

Get Module working

Replace/Balance driver's front tire (maybe do all 6)

If tire is balanced, replace front shocks.

Replace/install clearance mirrors

Replace burnt out bulbs

Replace Trailer socket

Install trailer brake controller

Get hitch ball

Paint module roof white

Fix tail pipe (Should I install a stack? :lolguy:)

Install CB radio

Get A/C working

Run new washer hose to the wipers, or drill hood and mount new nozzles

Install backup/rearview camera

Picked up a trailer from Rock's Trailer Sales. Good place, good prices. Brand new trailer with tandem axles, *both* with brakes, 7,000 GVWR, wood deck, dovetail, hideaway ramps (low enough to drive the STI up), warranty, and road-side assistance for $2599. :fuckyeah: When I consider that I was looking at a used trailer with no brakes, lights, or warranty for $1000, this was a great deal. Tug pulls it and the car without much trouble, and it stops pretty well too even without the trailer brakes connected. (Have some wring issues to sort out.) I was very happy with the result.

Having Tug out at an AutoX event today was awesome. It was like I brought a room from my apartment with me. I got to eat my lunch out of the sun, in a comfortable chair with a friend of mine and shoot the shit in comfort. It was also a good place to change clothes plus all the other benefits. The only thing that would have made it better would have been if the A/C was working. I'm very happy with it overall. Granted, it does have its issues, but it'll be an ongoing project.

Tug in all his glory:

Today, for the AutoX

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3154/5719838387_e8d9703d6c_b.jpg

Jr's new home

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3265/5720395482_c512691800_b.jpg

They flipped the hitch around to give the trailer a nose-up attitude in case the ambulance squatted when loaded. I figured it might, thinking the suspension was set up for the box on the back, not for hauling cargo. As you can see, it didn't squat at all. Tug was all like "What trailer?" :fuckyeah: So I'm going to flip it back around to try and level the trailer out.

Edited by Draco-REX

not sure if this was answered, yet, but what's the mpg on it?

The gas gauge doesn't work, so I have no idea yet. I topped it off when I picked up the trailer, so next time I have it out, I'll fill it again and see what the numbers say. I'm thinking mid-teens.

Like a boss.

If you guys ever see an ambulance like this at the Horseshoe painted silver and red and all pimped out inside, I painted that unit.

I've heard about that one. Definitely a great platform for a tailgate vehicle too. Mine has an offset hitch receiver on the rear step. I think I might get a hitch mounted grill.

• 2 months later...