SUV/Crossover for the Girl

mseebs

My girlfriend is looking at getting a crossover/suv. (her rich parents are paying so money is not a big deal)

They've looked at the Honda CRV, Acura RDX, and the Mazda CX7. She liked the CX7 the most.

Anyone got opinions/experiences on these such as reliability, whether or not it will burst into flames and kill her, and major problems with them?

Any other similar vehicles can be looked at also.

Should take a look at a VW Tiguan if you're open to something other than Japanese vehicles.

i'll let her know. she has a jetta though and has kind of gone through hell with it. so not sure if they'll want to go back to vw.

I'll vote NO on the tigaun, its fucking TINY for an SUV, completely pointless.

Out of the 3 you mentioned I prefer the CX7, we almost bought one a few years back but went with a new Ford Edge instead...

If you're trying those, might as well try the RAV4. Roomy as shit and with the v6 and awd, it's quite quick (quicker than anything in its class) and handles well for what it is. Also, we both have heavy foots and average 24 city and 30 highway.

honda crosstour

preparing for babies?

Haha. Fuck no. I just told the girl I'd ask around for her.

I like driving the cx-7 the best however we've had to replace 2 engines recently, not sure if the owners abused them or not.

What exactly caused the engine malfunction? Was it a similar/same situation?

Thanks for the input so far guys, I'll let her know. Anymore is welcome.

Out of those I would take the CX7. I went on a similar shopping trip last August and we ended up with a new Chevy Equinox. It's not fast, but it moves ok for what it needs to do, it gets better mileage than anything in the class, and you seem to get more features for the money. It seemed to be the bests value in the class.

Also, have you looked at the new (2011) Dodge Journey? It's worth a test drive as it's been greatly improved and is now a contender in the class.

I would vote against the cx7. My wife has one and it's the turbo 4 banger. It seemed like a good car but it has had a bunch of problems. Plus it requires premium gas :(

It's been to the shop for engine ticking, wheel bearings, and the passenger side window stopped working.

This vehicle has made my wife and I agree we will never buy another Mazda again.

the Ford Edge is a spectacular crossover. IIHS top safety pick, MyFord Touch is a great system.

Also, I'm usually not a proponent of hybrids, but the Escape Hybrid has a break even point of $2.50/gal (average driver, average miles, etc) in terms of where the premium you pay for Hybrid pays itself off. If hybrids aren't your thing, the V6 AWD Escape is very quiet and comfortable.

Important things to know; do not go into a Nissan dealership expecting them to get you the car they want. They're not really dealing beyond sticker on their SUVs due to shortages, and apparently all the AWD models have been scooped up. At least, thats what their internet sales mgr told me at a local Nissan dealer. I would prepare for the same at Toyota and Honda dealers

i'll let her know. she has a jetta though and has kind of gone through hell with it. so not sure if they'll want to go back to vw.

What year is her Jetta? The Tiguans have been quite reliable with very few problems.

I'll vote NO on the tigaun, its fucking TINY for an SUV, completely pointless.

Out of the 3 you mentioned I prefer the CX7, we almost bought one a few years back but went with a new Ford Edge instead...

No everyone needs something gigantic. If it's just her and mseebs, there's more than enough room.

Well they decided on the CRV. She just got a brand new black one. Opinions on the '11 CRVs?

I'll say it the way one of my customers who was driving a '99 CR-V said it:

"I went and drove the new CR-V and thought to myself 'do I really want to be staring at a 12-year old looking dash for another 12 years?' Not a chance."

Well they decided on the CRV. She just got a brand new black one. Opinions on the '11 CRVs?

Meh. Was never even a consideration for us. The AWD system is behind many of its competitors and it's only available with a n/a 4banger. Plus, the v-6 4wd RAV was as much as we would've paid for the CRV with hardly a difference in gas milage. Also, 87 octane for the rav v6.

If she's happy with it, that's truly all the matters. Lotta cars better than my old Supra, but Im happy with it. ;)

Ya I was pushing for the Rav4. But I think her parents really liked the CRV for some reason so that helped the decision.

I'll throw a pic up later as I just played Brink for the past 8 hours and need some sleep.

Ya I was pushing for the Rav4. But I think her parents really liked the CRV for some reason so that helped the decision.

I'll throw a pic up later as I just played Brink for the past 8 hours and need some sleep.

its amazing how Honda has cornered the senior citizen market.

how is Brink? i've been debating whether or not to pick it up