Want first "stunt" bike, suggestions?

2wheels>4

If you had it to do over again, what bike would you learn the ropes on?

I'm the sort of idiot that needs adrenaline like most people suck oxygen so I want to do things which exceed the capabilities of my current bikes. Basically I want something to get me started playing in parking lots, not the end-all-be-all of stunt bikes. I WILL lay it down, wreck it, chop shit off, rattle can it, etc, etc... I would want to ride it on the road some too, but mostly just a parking lot toy. And on the cheap.

I have a cruiser and a GS550, but neither is appropriate or capable for wheelies, endos, donuts, etc. (well, the cruiser will burn tires and and I can slide the back end around a bit on corners at takeoffs, do a 180 or donut maybe, but it's not really what I want it for....) The GS is just far too old and worn out to do anything more than growl a lot and bleed oil all over the landscape.

Besides, I keep grinding the chrome off my pegs on the cruiser from getting too low in the corners... good thing those fold up, cause I caught the right one pretty good and ground a bit off my boots too yesterday whilst out riding. When that happens on the GS they don't fold and I have actually levered the back wheel off the pavement a few times as a result... (and the pegs look like they were attacked by a pack of rabid rottweilers, had to bend one back straight with the help of a six foot section of pipe for leverage)

I have no need to do wheelies at 120mph, though that is exactly what I will do eventually if given a powerful enough bike... Nor should I have anything at my disposal that will exceed 160mph. Given a Liter it would not be a question of if I kill myself, but how much of the landscape I take to hell with me.

Preferably something with just enough power to get me (6foot+ and 185lbs solid with gear) vertical, but light, cheap and durable enough that I can wreck it regularly while I learn. I figure if I can play in parking lots, AND cruise on the road, perhaps I won't try to mix the two of them... I don't mind wrecking at 25mph in an open lot, but stunting on roads will get me killed or arrested for certain. I like to take things too far, so I try to limit myself or give myself alternative outlets so I don't get overly stupid.

Aesthetics mean nothing, just functionality in this. Also, I am my own mechanic and have fabrication experience, so I am not afraid to chop, weld and grossly modify the appropriate bike. Any suggestions? (other than that I "go fuck myself for being a squidly tool," I am already aware of that)

i dont know a whole lot about stunting but my guess would be the smartest way to start is on a 50 put a big bar kit and pegs on the back and thats all you will need i think you can find one for like 400-500 bucks and big bar kit is like 100, then you can learn brake controll, balancing then you could learn circle wheelies and if you drop it allwell, then after u master the 50 you can take it to the big bike, then you can master the big bikes

50 sounds a bit small, but I was pretty much expecting to be told "grab a busted old 250 and sprocket the hell out of it." If a 50 will actually pull me up, I am game though...

If I can get it off the ground easily and learn the basics of balance and brake/throttle control for stunting, then that is sufficient. I would sort of like it to be "intermediate" though. Small, but not so small that I out grow it the first year I own it.

Of course, I can always bust it all to hell and just sell it to the next sucker a year later. Use the cash from sale to help buy the next one...

Im giving lessons.... Yuuuuuutttttttttttt ugggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Yeah.... Bet you can show me how it gets done on your 600/750/1000 GSXR too... :) How does 50 bucks an hour sound? :lol:

Do I get one of those cool Monster shirts too??

Motard for sure.

Really?? They look fun as hell, pretty much a street legal dirt bike from what I understand, but will riding it really translate so easily to a street sport bike?

I won't even ask about displacement, it is also my understanding that it would weigh about what I do, so I could probably wheelie the thing if you just gave me pedals...

Eventually I want to just have a sport bike that I can ride road, track and occasionally stunt about in a lot somewhere. I just don't want to wreck THAT bike so often, and I have other bikes for riding street already so my "learner" CAN be a purpose built machine if that is most expedient.

See, now you are just going to involve me in ANOTHER damn expensive and dangerous hobby with supermoto... damnit, like I need another method of passive suicide... :) Asphalt AND dirt all in one, kinda like running from the cops in Northern Ohio...

get an old 125 2 smoke dirtbike or something, and go to town :)

Don't fucking tempt me... I'm in Dublin and there are kids here that race me up and down the streets on dirtbikes and ATVs... Last winter the fuckers were drag racing snowmobiles during that blizzard... In Dublin!! I expect this out where I grew up, but not between Riverside and Sawmill....

I will end up in the frickin' park terrorizing all the rich white people around here... they don't like it when I do that. Or so the cops keep telling me.

Edit: I try to avoid being a squid... Gixxer is my ultimate goal, I think, but too expensive and powerful for me to be learning on I think.

Edited by 2wheels>4
addition

with your weight and experience level, I recommend getting a CRF250X. They balance well on the rear wheel, throw some motard tires on their if you want, but I stunted mine with dirt tires for an entire summer before I bought my motard wheels. THey make the best stunt bikes, and are extremely low cost to maintain compared to a sportbike stunter. They require NO MODS to stunt, the gearing is perfect out of the box, and you can circle it dead stock without a handbrake.

Edited by 12oclocker

with your weight and experience level, I recommend getting a CRF250X. They balance well on the rear wheel, throw some motard tires on their if you want, but I stunted mine with dirt tires for an entire summer before I bought my motard wheels. THey make the best stunt bikes, and are extremely low cost to maintain compared to a sportbike stunter. They require NO MODS to stunt, the gearing is perfect out of the box, and you can circle it dead stock without a handbrake.
12oclocker said it all.. thread clsoed, listen to the man.

Sounds likes that's the one then. I will keep my eye out for a cheap one. I like the idea of a 250 that will put me in the air with ease because I know it will be light as hell and on the road I imagine 60-75mpg too....

No mods, durable, and cheap are exactly what I need. I will take other suggestions for consideration, but I think I'm sold on the motard idea. Thanks for your input!!

edit: Wait, that isn't street legal is it...

Edited by 2wheels>4
uhm, I'm stupid.

Sounds likes that's the one then. I will keep my eye out for a cheap one. I like the idea of a 250 that will put me in the air with ease because I know it will be light as hell and on the road I imagine 60-75mpg too....

No mods, durable, and cheap are exactly what I need. I will take other suggestions for consideration, but I think I'm sold on the motard idea. Thanks for your input!!

edit: Wait, that isn't street legal is it...

Those crf250x's are easy to make street legal, and it doesn't cost much to do it.

If you or a friend is capable of basic wiring you'll be fine.

It also has enough power to throttle it up until you learn to slip the clutch.

Those crf250x's are easy to make street legal, and it doesn't cost much to do it.

If you or a friend is capable of basic wiring you'll be fine.

It also has enough power to throttle it up until you learn to slip the clutch.

I most recently made a living as an EET, I might be able to handle some basic wiring... ;) Or, if you need some QFPs or BGAs swapped on a MOBO...

On a side note, if anyone wants their game console modded, I have very reasonable prices. I will mod XBox and Wii cheap depending on the chip you want. Play all your legally owned backed up games.... Don't download and pirate games, jesus kills kittens when you do that.

^^^ this man knows what he is saying. listen to him!

Will do.

I might be a smartass and a bit crazy, but I'm not stupid. :) I try to listen to those with more experience and knowledge, and accept the penalties when I don't. Either one will teach if you aren't killed, but I have found that one hurts a hell of a lot less.

:microwave: