Well Performing Daily Driver Tire

Bigbird

So true, but it is really worth the price, where Goodyears charge as much without the quality or a reach around.

Not disagreeing, I often preach about buying quality tires. For the love of god, it's the only thing connecting your car to the ground. People forgot how much much of a role they play in the handling of a car.

:lolguy:

So as of now I'm looking at...

Continental Extreme Contact DWS

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110

Sumitomo HTR ZIII

The stock tires are Dunlop SP Sport 01's in 225/45R17. Would it benefit me to get a slightly wider than 225 tire?

Also I added the BF Goodrich g-Force TA KDW 2's to my list...because my inner ricer jizzes every time I see the tread pattern. Are these any good?

Sumitomo HTR ZIII

The stock tires are Dunlop SP Sport 01's in 225/45R17. Would it benefit me to get a slightly wider than 225 tire?

Also I added the BF Goodrich g-Force TA KDW 2's to my list...because my inner ricer jizzes every time I see the tread pattern. Are these any good?

Throw those Sumis off your list and pick.

Sumitomo HTR ZIII

I had the Dunlop SP 01's on my old GTI as factory tires. I very much liked them actually. Favorite all season I have had.

There is a C&D article: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/tire_test_nine_affordable_summer_tires_take_on_the_michelin_ps2-comparison_tests/hankook_ventus_v12_evo_page_10

I just ordered 235/45/17 for my car, stock is 225/45/17. $100 per tire, with 80 mail in rebate. Amazing price.

Throw those Sumis off your list and pick.

hmm tire rack disagrees with you, and i have tons of people happy with the htrzIII

A New Name Challenges the Max Performance Summer Category

July 11, 2007

Tires tested:

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position (Max Performance Summer 225/45R17)

• What We Liked: Overall handling and crisp steering response
  • What We'd Improve: Wet traction and handling
  • Conclusion: A solid performer in the Max Performance Summer category
  • Latest Test Rank: 4th
  • Previous Test Rank: Not previously tested

Continental ContiSportContact 3 (Max Performance Summer 225/45R17)

• What We Liked: Compliant ride quality and overall wet and dry traction
  • What We'd Improve: Sharpen steering response and a slight reduction in road noise
  • Conclusion: A comfortable Max Performance tire with excellent traction
  • Latest Test Rank: 2nd

Sumitomo HTR Z III (Max Performance Summer 225/45R17)

• What We Liked: Overall road manners and decisive dry grip and handling
  • What We'd Improve: A small improvement in wet grip
  • Conclusion: A new tire worthy of being in the Max Performance Summer category
  • Latest Test Rank: 1st

Yokohama ADVAN Sport (Max Performance Summer 225/45R17)

• What We Liked: Responsive road handling and wet traction
  • What We'd Improve: A slight improvement in ride comfort and ultimate dry handling
  • Conclusion: A capable Max Performance tire that delivers excellent wet traction
  • Latest Test Rank: 3rd

Vehicles used:

2006 BMW E90 325i Sedan

While Sumitomo Rubber Industries, Ltd. is one of today's major automotive tire manufacturers in Japan, its Sumitomo Tire brand isn't one of the typical top-of-mind brand names in America. However that may change for driving enthusiasts with the introduction of Sumitomo Tire's HTR Z III (High Technology Radials - 3rd Generation) Max Performance Summer tires. While Sumitomo had previously offered Ultra High Performance Summer tires in North America, the HTR Z III was developed to fit into the Max Performance Summer tire category and showcase Sumitomo's technical resources by providing high-speed handling stability along with traction on dry and wet roads.

In order to confirm how HTR Z III tires measure up to some of today's other Max Performance Summer tires, we compared the Sumitomo HTR Z III to Bridgestone's Potenza RE050A Pole Position, Continental's ContiSportContact 3 and Yokohama's ADVAN Sport tires. Like all summer tires, none of these tires are intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

Our evaluation used a 2006 BMW 325i E90 sedan, with new, full tread depth 225/45R17 tires mounted on 17x8.0" wheels.

What We Learned on the Road

Our 5.6-mile loop of expressway, state highway and county roads provides a great variety of road conditions that include city and highway speeds, smooth and coarse concrete, as well as new and patched asphalt. This route allows our team to experience noise comfort, ride quality and everyday handling, just as you would during your drive to school or work.

The Continental ContiSportContact 3 was praised by our team for its ride quality as it did a good job absorbing the bumps and jounces along our ride loop. Close behind was the Sumitomo HTR Z III, delivering smooth ride qualities appropriate for the Max Performance Summer tire category. The Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position displayed a more traditional performance tire ride, feeling taught and slightly firm but not objectionable when driving over the sharper impacts. The Yokohama ADVAN Sport's ride was close to the group, feeling just a bit harsh over patched pavement and the broken section along the expressway portion of our route.

Modern computer-aided tread design continues to reduce tread noise, helping tame the growl of today's Max Performance Summer tires. Here, the HTR Z III had a slight advantage over the other three, producing minimal noise levels (for a Max Performance Summer tire) and avoiding any annoying fixed tones. The Potenza RE050A Pole Position and Yokohama ADVAN Sport displayed similar tread noise volume and tone, just slightly more apparent than the HTR Z III. The ContiSportContact 3 also produced minimal tread noise, but displayed several distinct pitches audible above the vehicle's wind noise, especially on smooth asphalt in the 40-55 mph range.

Even during normal road driving where tires are not being asked to corner at their limit, Max Performance Summer tires are designed to deliver crisp, responsive handling. This group did not disappoint, feeling nimble and connected to the road. The Bridgestone held a slight advantage over the group, with its linear response to any steering input, and taut, weighted feel in the steering wheel. The firmer ride of the Yokohama paid back a dividend in handling, feeling lively and ready to respond to the driver's commands. The Sumitomo also handled well, feeling nimble and controlled. The Continental that was most comfortable on the road felt the least responsive of the group, with slower initial steering response.

What We Learned on the Test Track

Our 1/3-mile per lap test track course includes 90-degree street corners, lane changes and simulated expressway ramps. Run in both dry and wet conditions, the test track allows our team to experience the traction, responsiveness, handling and drivability normally only encountered during abrupt emergency avoidance maneuvers or competition events.

The track is where Max Performance Summer tires really show their stuff, both for their fun factor as well as their absolute capability and overall traction. In the dry, the Sumitomo HTR Z III proved quickest overall, aided by its total package of responsive handling, stable cornering traction and confident braking grip. Continental's ContiSportContact 3 lapped our course less than 2/10ths of a second behind the Sumitomo, but required more concentration to produce the fast laps. The Conti displayed significant levels of lateral and braking grip, but its overall handling was not as crisp or precise as the others in this test, requiring smooth inputs and a delicate touch to turn a fast lap. The Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position was found to be the most responsive of the group, feeling almost edgy in its steering response. Unfortunately the overall grip level was not high enough to take full advantage of its quick steering. Yokohama's ADVAN Sport seemed to lack some overall grip, displaying noticeable understeer when pressed hard. The lively handling we felt on the road disappeared when pressed to the limit on the track, with the steering feel becoming somewhat vague.

In the wet, the ADVAN Sport and ContiSportContact 3 were a virtual tie. The ADVAN Sport was easy to control, with a hint of understeer and good communication that the grip limit was approaching. So, too, for the ContiSportContact 3 where plenty of overall grip and confidence-inspiring handling allowed our team to lap the course within 0.02 second of the Yokohama. The HTR Z III also handled well, showing balanced overall handling and a big margin to recover once the traction limit was reached. The Potenza RE050A Pole Position displayed plenty of overall wet grip, but felt very edgy and harder to control. The cornering and braking traction limit was reached without much warning, and took longer to recover once exceeded than the other three tires. The Bridgestone was able to produce relatively quick lap times, but required full driver attention to accomplish it.

Product Details

Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position (Max Performance Summer): The Potenza RE050A Pole Position with UNI-T Technology tire was developed for sports car, sports coupe and sport sedan drivers. The Potenza RE050A Pole Position is designed to provide exceptional dry and wet road traction. Read more.

Continental ContiSportContact 3 (Max Performance Summer): The ContiSportContact 3 is Continental Tire's tire developed for the drivers of powerful sports cars, sports coupes and luxury sedans. The ContiSportContact 3 is designed to combine outstanding braking capability and agile steering precision. Read more.

Sumitomo HTR Z III (Max Performance Summer): The HTR Z III (High Technology Radials-3rd Generation) is Sumitomo's tire developed for sports cars, sporty coupes and high performance sedans. It is designed to showcase Sumitomo's technical resources by providing high-speed handling stability along with traction on dry and wet roads. Read more.

Yokohama ADVAN Sport (Max Performance Summer): The ADVAN Sport is Yokohama's tire developed for some of the world's most prestigious sports cars, sports coupes and high performance sedans. The ADVAN Sport in the 275/35ZR20 size has been chosen as the exclusive Original Equipment (O.E.) tire for the Bentley Motors Continental GT equipped with the Mulliner Driving Package, the world's fastest four-seat coupe in 2005 with the maximum speed of 197 mph (318 km/h).

I have a few friends running those Conti's who are VERY VERY happy with them though.

Conti's used to have a lot of sidewall issues but haven't heard too much lately.

Its still there Jones, I dont know what they're thinking with the sidewalls on these tires, you can damn near put your finger through the side of a 40 series w rated xl tire, thats a joke.

people enjoy them while they last, but keep in mind i only sell these when people call me to special order them, i do not stock them, however i have already seen 15+ sidewall impact breaks/blow outs on these tires, just like the old conti pro contacts and conti extreme contacts

goto google and type in dws weak sidewall or something along those lines and you'll see a ton of complaints...

to the op.. if you want these, tell me i'll get you the best deal in town on anything

Alot of the COS'rs are stuck on the Star Spec tires.. (including my husband).. we have some blizzacks i think for winter tires on teh RS.

I have all seasons for the first time ever, and i have to say, i dont trust them i like i did my dedicated winters. Maybe irrational fear, but they certainly dont feel as strong in the winter as my winter tires did on my old legacy.

I have bridgestone potenza re960as pole positions. Summer is better than the continentals on it before, so I can't compare it to much else. They do however perform great, tread wears a little quick, but they really make up for that in wet and snow performance.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE960AS+Pole+Position&partnum=345WR7RE960PP

Just look at the surveys on them, they are one of the best all seasons you can get, just a tad pricey.