Fun afternoon.

SpaceGhost

Anyone else do this with their kids? I used to do this when I was 11-12, forgot all about it, and my daughter reminded me of it today. So off to the store we went and sent one 700 ft into the air. Forgot how fun that was. My daughter loved it.

http://gallery.me.com/bbotte/100052/Launch/web.jpg

We launched it a couple more times this evening when the wind calmed down. Got a few more kids together, sent them to go get it and bring it back. They love it. I must say quite a bit of fun for $76 for everything including 9 C6-7 engines. The one we have there is already made and ready to go, it's a single c6 engine. Goes pretty high and drifts pretty far with the wind. I might go tomorrow and get one to build, they are like $17, I used to make a bunch when I was 11-12. We are going to wait again for my nephew on Monday and launch it 6 times or more that day. Now that we have the launcher, the only expense is $11 for 3 engines. Seems like a good memorial day activity.

Carl I would have no problem if the schedule worked out to meet to launch. Just make sure there is a bunch of communication for safety.

I used to fly them all the time with my dad when i was younger, loved building them. Still have about 10 of them in a box and a ton of motors lol. I would be game for shooting them off since its hard to do in my apartment complex. Ive since then stepped up my flight game and building a balloon to go to near space with cameras lol

I used to have a few model rockets along with some of the Cox gas powered helicopters as a kid. One rocket I had didn't use a streamer or a parachute, but had propellers pop open and spin when the ejection charge hit. Went to the Hobby store the other day and felt like a kid again.

[quote

Carl I would have no problem if the schedule worked out to meet to launch. Just make sure there is a bunch of communication for safety.

I live pretty close to Hurricane hobbies and have about half a clue what to buy,but would be happy to pitch in if you are somewhere within 15 minutes of Polaris i would bring my sprogs to watch the fun.

This thread has got me thinking that I want to get one of these for my nephew. Where can i buy the biggest, baddest motherfucker they make? I see that estes company has one that will go almost 2,700ft.

I can see it now, "Central Ohio man arrested for trying to blow up space station"

Wife on the iPhone.

you would :lolguy:

oh wait :dumb:

Used to have them also as a kids. Great fun! Too bad the ADD has taken over and most are "pre" assembled and only require some snapping together. It used to take me a week to build and paint one all nice. I would enter then in the county fairs too through 4-H.

Engines are $$$ now, used to cost a $1 a shot, now they are like $3 a shot. Good fun that is legal though.

MEAN MACHINE is 6' tall and like $30

They also have a 3 stager that goes like 2100 feet. You will not get that one back, so it sounds awesome, but really, you loose it due to the height.

You can fill the burnt out motors with DIY fuel, potassium nitrate + sugar

Not really as safe because it can go boom boom, but way cheaper and lots of fun to experiment with, but you can ignite it with standard fuses, just use a toothpick in the mold to get it to ignite right.